Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 November 2002 17:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By martin knox Where Calcium Hypochlorite crystals are used in the dosing pool plant system, apart from someone inadvertantly mixing a acid by mistake or purposely, what are the real risks of any chlorine gas be generated in sufficient quantities to require a chlorine detector to be fitted with alarm. I have queried this with the pool plant installers, and their line is " Calcium Hypochlorite has been used for a number of years instead of Chlorine Gas, and we have not come across one incident where chlorine gas or chlorine levels have been generated in quatities that would justify installing a detector on a installation. The installation at question is a new build 2002. Can anyone advise me otherwise or give hard evidence that I may put forward to argue the point under CDM or is there no real chance other than operator error or sabotage of this scenario being realised. I know all the usual stuff - Chlorine heavier than air etc, normally measured at 10 ppm etc, what I need is hard tangible evidence or facts to justify the need to install this technology. NB - all of the pool plant operators x 3, have been trained on PPOC, so they are trained. Thanks in advance Martin
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 November 2002 21:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I'm only aware of the need for Cl2 detection/alarms when storing the gas for dosing. To the risks of sabotage and operator error you could add 'continuing dosing during circulation failure'. The usual controls include effective interlocking of dosing to circulation. It's worth checking this as I once found a flow-switch held open by the head of water due to poor pipework design.