Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 March 2003 12:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker I’m not sure if this is a breach of the forum rules as it might be considered “political”, if so I apologise. There is an early day motion going through parliament regarding corporate manslaughter. Have a look at http://edm.ais.co.uk/web...html/motion.html/ref=793 If you agree with it, write to you MP and ask them to give support
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 March 2003 13:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams Do we realisticaly think this will get through? Even the unions have admitted to be more concerned over workers pension rights? Ash
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 March 2003 12:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ekim Yelloj Ashley, Do I detect you have had some expereinces with unions in the past. I have found that they are very pro-active when it comes to safety. Regarding corporate manslaughter, I think the unions will enforce this carries.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 March 2003 14:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi The TUC supports the early day motion--for more details, use the web site:- http://www.tuc.org.uk/h_and_s/tuc-6314-f0.cfm#a1
Admin  
#5 Posted : 07 March 2003 09:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Ash, Maybe it isn’t, but we need to raise the profile of this. The union’s opinion is neither here or there, the present government doesn’t take much notice of them on anything. I’ve made a Bl**dy nuisance of myself with my MP and for one reason or another he is now showing something other than passive activity. I’m going to his “surgery” tomorrow morning and my eventual aim is he signs if just to get me out of his hair. If enough of us show concern, pressure will finally give a result. There is another motion today, on almost the same subject, by Laurie Quinn, unless cancelled again.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 March 2003 10:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams Dear all, I do agree that the issue needs raising, my comment came from reading an article, which sadly ive misplaced. The article was a quote from a senior union figure stating that currently the focus was on Pensions rather then corporate man slaughter. Should i find the artice i will post it here for you to read. I came from the union side of the safety fence so ive no axe to grind there. Ash
Admin  
#7 Posted : 07 March 2003 10:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards There is a lengthy article on this on www.lawzone.co.uk which members might also like to read.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 07 March 2003 10:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ekim Yelloj Ashley, Why should the unions spend more time on pensions? If a worker is injured from work and can't return, they will no longer be able to contribute to any sort of pension scheme. This is why unions should spend more time promoting safety as they do already. Ekim.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 07 March 2003 11:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Hopefully tongue in cheek comment above!!! If you think of why unions came to be in the first place both are as important. However with the collapse of FTSE etc and the whole pension fiasco in the UK at present, I think this is just the 'hot' topic. On another note if all employers took the HS&E issue in the workplace seriously then there would be no use for unions within this area. Remember things like, 'mens rea'
Admin  
#10 Posted : 07 March 2003 19:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards When did 'mens rea' need to be considered in a strict liability offence such as corporate manslaughter?
Admin  
#11 Posted : 10 March 2003 06:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Because at the moment there are probably hundreds of decisions being made every day by 'Managers' who knowingly and deliberately make decision which affect safety in the interests of profit, time, ignorance, cant be bothered and who get awaywith it! Once it happens, and they get away with it they will do it again. Why do you think there is so much research and published material into behavioral safety? Who would have thought that leaving the bow doors open etc etc this legislation will make 'Management' and 'Managers' to be held directly resposible for their actions or non-actions and cannot hide behind the 'I didn't know' They are management! It is their business to know. How many accidents in your workplace which you hear about through the grapevine as it hasnt been reported and you find out the reason was the the person in charge allowed it to happen. Sorry, you make this decision knowing the likely safety consequences then stand by to be banged up!!! The Judicial system in this country for so long now has has allowed these people to get away with it. OOPS sorry killed (murdered?) someone at work, oh poor thing never mind have £5k fine and don't do it again or we will make you stay behind after class. The relatives of people who die at work or in a disaster, when asked what they want the overiding answer is for someone to be punished accordingly, is the systemat present doing this? Mens rea, does this not legal speak for 'I'm a director can't touch me!!!!!! as long as the shorholders are happy etc etc etc
Admin  
#12 Posted : 10 March 2003 11:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards Well you clearly feel very strongly about this Dave. Corporate liability is a strict liability offence and 'mens rea' does not enter into it. There are a number of cases where directors have been imprisoned for their part in negligent acts and ommissions. They do not all get away with a fine.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 11 March 2003 10:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Apologies, got on my high horse there a bit, but do feel very strongly about this.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 12 March 2003 11:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Robert, The directors properly punished in the past have been running small companies where they have not been able to wiggle out of their responsibilities. The big boys, where they really don't care about the lost of life of "little people" continue to get away with literally murder.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 13 March 2003 20:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards Yes that is correct and entirely because the law on the one hand imposed sanctions for corporate killing but also upheld the doctrine of identity. Hence the smaller companies where it was clear who was running the operation could not hide and large companies could. This will alter in the near future we predict.
Admin  
#16 Posted : 14 March 2003 08:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Robert, Its not going to change until the law changes - hence my original post. Incidentally, who is this "we" that is predicting change.
Admin  
#17 Posted : 14 March 2003 15:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards Jim, The law is forecast to change in this area and has been for some time. Read the obiter statements given by judges in caselaw for details on the 'flagging up' of the discrepancy. The current consultation in progress and the reports into the disasters you and others on this site speak of has been working on changing the law for some time. The 'we' I speak of is all those interested and following progress in the legal changes, through the process in law. In our organisation as a blend of lawyers and Health and Safety professionals but with other health and safety professionals from different occupational sectors who follow case law developments. I agree a change of law is overdue but if you follow all the legal changes they take place over many years. The doctrine of identity for large corporations has been used as a shield so far and that has caused concern in the courts concerned. Raging against the law as it stands is pretty futile. Most of us who feel strongly do something about it by bringing it up in the house ( as in commons) as often as possible via our MPs. That is everyone did it would get it passed as law a lot faster.
Admin  
#18 Posted : 19 March 2003 11:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards There is a case going through on judicial review today ( started yesterday) on the application of Brenda Rowley) v DPP (ref: C0/2253/2002). This will be a landmark case if the CPS are ruled against and I will post as news is heard.