Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 March 2003 17:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle I have recently read an article that appears to set a new legal precident for employers in respect of their legal duty to employees. The article reads: The owner of a delivery company has been fined £2500.00 for breaching health & safety regulations after a driver suffering from exhaustion was killed in an accident - even though he was not working at the time of the crash. Industry experts warn the ground-breaking case sets a dangerous precedent for companies, which could find themeselves facing a string of fines following this case. The driver died instantly in the accident when his car left the road after hitting a pile of stones. On the day of the accident he had finished working on a series of shifts that had lasted more than 16 hours. If anyone would like a copy of the article in MS Word format, please contact me and I will email to you...
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 March 2003 11:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By smudge I think that we must accept that this is going to be the norm. The management of road risk is here and the HSE have got to accept that vehicles are a place of work. I do however accept that you are right to be concerned since the injured party was not technically at "work", but his employer still had a duty to assess the risks to his health and safety and I would suggest that in this case the employer did nothing to reduce the risk.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 March 2003 15:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie So if I work a 16 hour shift, go home, fall asleep in the chair while I'm making toast and my house and the one next door burn down my employer is responsible? Stretching vicarious libaility a bit far I would say! Laurie
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 March 2003 18:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Jones The vicarious side has been with us for a while as in Smith v Stages 1989 I think the point being made is this is a criminal responsibility. Which I personally think is a good thing.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 March 2003 09:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Stuart I have e-mailed you directly for a copy of the article. The police have recently introduced a Road-Death Investigation Manual which directs Police Officers to investigate road deaths as unlawful killings unless proved otherwise. This means that they will be looking very closely at drivers who are killed during the course of their work e.g. sales reps driving between appointments, to ensure that their employer has conducted an adequate risk assessment. This is broadly in line with the recommendations of the HSC / DTR Work-related Road Safety Group which reported in Nov 2001. This will have implications for employers in terms of risk assessments, checking on driver competence, training (and refresher training) and road-worthiness of their vehicles. All part of the Governments strategy for reducing road deaths... Eric
Admin  
#6 Posted : 17 March 2003 11:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Fiona Rathie Hi Please send me a copy of the article in word format. Thanks Fiona Fiona@zonal.co.uk
Admin  
#7 Posted : 17 March 2003 12:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt I take your point Eric (no relation!) but the article Stuart referred to was an accident whilst not at work and comes under the Road Traffic Act. Surely it is up to the individual, who is at this point not under the control of the employer, to make the decision when leaving work, whether or not he/she is fit to drive. How can that be the responsibility of the employer? Geoff
Admin  
#8 Posted : 17 March 2003 13:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By William Russell I would appreciate a copy of the article, please send to bill.russell@sirva.co.uk, thanks. Bill
Admin  
#9 Posted : 17 March 2003 14:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt I have read the report of the HSC / DTR working group again (ref: Reducing at-work road traffic accidents. Nov 2001 ISBN 07176 2239 8) and must admit that they do not cover this aspect of driving, so it is difficult to see how an employer can be held responsible, especially when you consider that the employer has no control over the drivers' driving outside of work. Unfortunately I do not have access to the Police Road Death Investigation Manual, as this may shed some light on this matter. Whilst reading this thread, I was reminded of the accident on 28th Feb 01 at Great Heck near Selby where a vehicle came off the road when the driver fell asleep and caused the Selby rail crash in which 10 people were killed. The subsequent report by the Dept for Transport "Managing the accidental obstruction of the railway by road vehicles" touched on the area of Sleep-related vehicle accidents (SRVAs), but did not go into any depth on it, and certainly made no mention of employer reponsibilities in subsequent reccommendations. I will therefore have to study Stuart's article carefully as this will be an important health and safety matter for us. Eric
Admin  
#10 Posted : 17 March 2003 15:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt It would be interesting to see if this particular case is going to appeal.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 17 March 2003 15:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston I have also read this article with interest and have recommended to our Board that we enforce the rest break entiltlement of the Working Time Regs (ie, 11 hrs per day, 24/48 hr week/fortnight). I could just see an employee working a 16hr shift and then driving the two hour journey home (total of 20 hr day), and falling asleep at the wheel. As for our responsibilities outside the workplace. Well if the employee was exposed to a hazardous substances at work that impaired his metal ability the following day, and he crashes his car, I'm sure you would agree that we would should be held accountable. So if we allow the individual to work excessive working hours, which affect his mental ability outside work, should we not also be held accountable after an accident? Excessive working hours have been shown to be detremental to health. We should all be using this case as an example to reduce working hours to a reasonable level. Shane
Admin  
#12 Posted : 17 March 2003 15:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt The only problem is that some employees are required to work long hours, maybe as part of a regular pattern or in the case of an emergency (break-downs, fires, floods, accidents etc etc) and the question is - to what degree does the employer (who has knowledge that the employee has worked long hours and will be driving home) have responsibility for that employee when they leave work. A similar question would need to be asked if an employee presented themselves for work and they were unfit through drink or drugs - if the employer sends them home, to what degree is the employer responsible if the employee has a crash. In our organisation we advise the manager to call a taxi to take the employee home if they suspect that they may be at risk if they drive. An interesting one... Eric
Admin  
#13 Posted : 17 March 2003 16:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi There is extensive coverage of this case in February 2003 issue of British Safety Council's Safety Management magazine. In the six-week period prior to the accident, the driver had twice worked sixteen and half days, as well as three 15 hour long shift and one 14 and a half hour day. Time sheets indicated that in one two-day period, the driver had worked a total of 28 hours. The court was told that the director of the company was aware of that on occasions the driver completed deliveries that would prevent him from taking breaks and failed to take any steps to prevent it. What is interesting is that the driver had not worked on the day before the accident and as a result, the director’s not guilty plea to the original charge of not ensuring the drivers health and safety was dropped. However, the director admitted to a lesser charge of permitting the driver to work excessive hours without appropriate rest breaks and was fined under Section 33(1) of HASAWA for failing to ensure the safety of employee by allowing to work excessive hours without appropriate rest breaks.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 17 March 2003 17:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Gray I have read the article in question but would like to impart to the forum an extract from the Road Death Investigation Manual;- Corporate Liability "Criminal offences may be committed not only by an individual, but also by companies. Under the law, a corporation is defined as a legal person and may therefore be criminally liable for strict liability offences. In any investigation of road death the Senior Investigating Officer (SIO) should consider where any alledged liability or culpability for the death may lie. There will be occassions when it is apparent that working regimes, illegal or dangerous practices or negligence have contributed to the death. It will be during the investigation that an SIO may consider liability in respect of corporate bodies and/or personal liabilities of officers within those bodies. The investigation of corporate liability will not be limited to the investigations of commercial concerns but will include any organisation where there exists an employer/employee relationship and where a 'duty of care' is owed. There is little authority in criminal law on the subject of gross negligence manslaughter. Each case is a question of fact and degree as to whether or not a particular defendany has been negligent to the extent that his negligence has incurred crimminal liability and whether such gross negligence has brought about death. The jury must be satisfied as to this and 'duty of care' is a matter of law for the judge to direct the jury on." Use of Health & Safety Legislation "If an investigation into a road death involves consideration of working practices that appear to be illegal or dangerous, or to have been applied negligently, then the SIO will need to establish an immediate liaison with the HSE." I am not able to post a copy of the Road Death Investigation Manual as it is subject to copyright but copies can be obtained fron the National Operations Faculty at Bramshill.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 17 March 2003 20:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chas. Mc Breen Sorry I have'nt seen the case you refer to but it may not be the first case. At a recent RoSPA M.O.R.R. course reference was made to a case involving a pizza delivery company and to the methods now used by Police investigating "work-related" driving incidents which includes contacting the employer and making enquiries about the employer's risk assessments for driving related tasks. You could contact RoSPA Raod Safety section for more info.
Admin  
#16 Posted : 18 March 2003 04:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ged I wonder what the group thinks of another possibility. Scenario, you have been working all day for example a 12 hour shift. You are also a member of a voluntary rescue team, mountain, coastguard, retained fireman whatever and you get a call out that in effect means working for say half the night. Next day it is work as usual. If you are paid by the emergency service would they be responsible if you had an accident whilst driving home from the callout or driving to work next day?
Admin  
#17 Posted : 22 March 2003 09:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Dear All. I have responded to all requests both on the site and via e-mail for copies of the article. Sorry for the delay, but I was away all week on a course. If any other want a copy, please contact me... Regards...