Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#41 Posted : 24 April 2003 16:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Dear Ian Stone, I was astonished when I read you reply. As you were posting it I was asking the same/similar question - how do we make RA useful and meaningful?- in response to a message posted. We carry the things in the vans, but on this occassion (and I presume for the future) this was inadequate. At the time it made the staff feel like walking off there and then and not coming back and not letting anybody know. I'm interested in your proposal. I've already had it mentioned to me not to delay the work for too long when I do a site visit. What sort of time allocation are you thinking of for safety site meetings discussions.
Admin  
#42 Posted : 24 April 2003 16:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson B, Just had a thought, maybe the person involved has been reading this and decided that they were OTT. I honestly feel that in this profession there are too many people who lose sight of the fact we and our masters / employers are here to do something ie Work, produce a profit but in a safe manner with the minimum of fuss and red tape. Beurocracy gone mad. Are we not getting a bit technical here in this thread with regards to RA and process and the meaning of life etc!!!!! This bloke as they say in Scotland He's a plooky wee scunner and his bahookie needs a geid scudding!
Admin  
#43 Posted : 24 April 2003 16:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By T. Fowler Dear Benedict I don't share your desire to have risk assessment RECORDS as active risk control measures. Records should be just that: Some evidence that we have adequate measures in place. Those measures should include selection and maintenance of suitable equipment, employment and training of suitable staff, issue and maintenance of ppe, supervision to ensure control measures are adopted, training of staff to recognise unforeseen hazards or significant changes in their work. All these things can be checked by Inspectors - the Foreman would be my first line of inspection - and their effectiveness supported by accident figures.
Admin  
#44 Posted : 24 April 2003 17:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Dean If you put the risk assessment/method statement on the cutter, would that suddenly ensure the operators safety and that of others around him/her? How would you prove that they had read and understood the document? Funnily enough I had this situation as a question on my NEBOSH exam (i.e employees cutting grass at roadside), I would recommend: 1. Prior to the commencement of the contract, all employees should have a site induction, which should include reference to the findings of the risk assessment. Employees are to sign to show that they have been shown the risk assessment and that they understood the information. 2. All employees should receive a ‘Tool Box’ training session on the safe use of the equipment and what safety measures must be taken. Employees to sign to show that they have been trained and are competent to use the equipment. 3. Employees to be supervised at all times. 4. All employees to be supplied with a credit card sized laminated document which states the site rules and hazards, and an additional card with the hazards and control measures for the cutting equipment bulleted pointed. Hope this helps, or you could get the operators to move the van every time they move 3 meters away from it, or is that just being silly!……….
Admin  
#45 Posted : 25 April 2003 11:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Hi, What a lot of responses you have had to this item. Risk assessments in the van is a good idea although unnecessary in Law. Obviously you have a right tartar there who is attempting to prove something with his (or her) attitude. OK, fair enough, we have all met them at one time or another. Have you thought about a mini permit system? Hold the risk assessment and method statement at the site office and get both operatives to complete a mini permit that says they have seen and understood both the risk assessment and method statement and have this signed by a manager at the site office before they leave (obviously code your assessments or whatever for ease of identification). This mini permit can then be put into a visitors badge type holder which can be worn on the operatives person while they are working. Consequently, they have written authority to carry out the job at the site with a signed statement that they have both seen the Risk Assessment and method statement but they don't have to carry great wads of paper around with them. Just a thought ...
Admin  
#46 Posted : 25 April 2003 15:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Dear Dave, Speechless with total agreement. I'm on my way to see Desperate Dan and Ma Broon, and I'll check and see if Oor Wullie fancies a laugh. Benedict
Admin  
#47 Posted : 25 April 2003 15:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Dear T.Fowler, Nor would I choose to have RA's as active records. I was following a line of debate. We have and/or do the other things you identify, but apparently this is not enough. So I am looking for ideas to help examine the practicalities and reasonableness of what others may already be doing. I doubt my situation is unique. I wouldn't like to appear unco-operative/ obstructive as this would end up in unnecessary confrontation and put me in an untenable situation. I'm interested in the art of the possible.
Admin  
#48 Posted : 25 April 2003 15:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Dear Simon, Re- recommendations: 1. Already happens. 2. Already happens. 3. Already happens. 4. This is not currently done, so thank you for an interesting option to consider. The other is so obvious I'm disappointed I didn't suggest it myself.......
Admin  
#49 Posted : 25 April 2003 16:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Dear Hilary Charlton, Wonderful, a voice of clarity and a simple device. I like the sound of it. Do you use something similar yourself or have you felt for my plight , considered the situation and come up with a practical , reasonable and workable suggestion. Whichever, thank you for sharing this idea. Our RA's and MS's are coded so this should be easy to put in place, it's cheap, seems easy to use and uncomplicated, would seem to avoid putting peoples noses out of joint, would seem to enhance the relevance of the RA & MS to the work, and would seem to meet the requirement of the H&S manager. I think you may have come up with a brilliant suggestion. I think you have answered my prayer. I won't say it was my idea, but I will put it forward as a possible way around the problem. Thank you. Benedict
Admin  
#50 Posted : 28 April 2003 14:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Well I feel i Have really learned a few good tips and a lot of info from this link. You will all proberbly be glad to hear that when i get a safety position i will bear this site in mind when dealing with different people. Hope the issue is resolved amicably and that future measures succeed. thanks all contributors
Admin  
#51 Posted : 29 April 2003 08:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Dear Jason et al, Glad to hear this has been as useful to you as it has been to me. But this is only thanks to all the people taking the time and trouble and interest in contributing there thoughts and experiences. A priceless gem. As you say, I too hope it will be resolved amicably and future measures succeed and with all the contributions there is a chance at least thanks to the wriggle room made available. Benedict
Admin  
#52 Posted : 29 April 2003 13:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Dear Benedict Glad I was able to help with a solution to your problem. My motto - work to the lowest common denominator and keep it simple. Hilary
Admin  
#53 Posted : 29 April 2003 16:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Hilary, I'll let you know if the idea is looked on favourably. But your idea has allowed me to release the pressure valve and prepare for the meeting in the belief that I can make a fair contribution to the discussion and avoid sounding contrary or confrontational and say that I'm not convinced in the value of what is in the frame.( the proposed practice not necessarily the principle). But it seemed to have been launched without any consultation or notice. The company has been very successful in winning bids recently so something must be right and someone must like it and I don't know as to why it has been felt necessary to go along this route or what is hoped to be achieved. The HSE infoline seemed a bit taken aback. So I am grateful for the wriggle room I feel your idea gives me. The only vision I had before was of mutiny in all ranks both in the company and amongst the sub-contractors. Benedict
Admin  
#54 Posted : 29 April 2003 16:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Hilary, I'll let you know if the idea is looked on favourably. But your idea has allowed me to release the pressure valve and prepare for the meeting in the belief that I can make a fair contribution to the discussion and avoid sounding contrary or confrontational and say that I'm not convinced in the value of what is in the frame.( the proposed practice not necessarily the principle). But it seemed to have been launched without any consultation or notice. The company has been very successful in winning bids recently so something must be right and someone must like it and I don't know as to why it has been felt necessary to go along this route or what is hoped to be achieved. The HSE infoline seemed a bit taken aback. So I am grateful for the wriggle room I feel your idea gives me. The only vision I had before was of mutiny in all ranks both in the company and amongst the sub-contractors. Benedict