Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 April 2003 11:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Woods My local Civic Society is going to set up a small museum in a small, old building. Has anyone had experience of a similar scale enterprise and , if so, could you let me have any information such as a safety policy etc?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 April 2003 11:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett Hi Nigel, if you can pass on your contact details I will ask our local museum if I can share their policies etc with you (I'm sure they won't mind).
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 April 2003 12:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Someone tell me if i'm wrong! Thought if it was private or not a place of work or employed less that 5 people don't think you need a written H&S policy. Any way HSE produce a leaflet called Stating your business - Guidance on preparing a Health and Safety Policy Statement. ISBN 0 7176 1799 8 Code A and I think can be downloaded free from HSE www.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 April 2003 13:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Woods Hi Dave Who cares if volunteers are not "employed" . They have rights too along with visitors to have a safe environment. Nigel
Admin  
#5 Posted : 24 April 2003 13:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett I agree with Nigel - surely section 4 of HASAWA explicitly covers people such as volunters. And anyway, I can't see either the HSE or the claims lawyers shrugging their shoulders and saying "oh that's okay, they're only volunteers."
Admin  
#6 Posted : 24 April 2003 14:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Didn't suggest that volunteers don't have rights, just suggesting that a WRITTEN Policy may not be required, as surley it is the commitment, actions and deeds of persons which protect the safety of all persons whether they are 'volunters', members of the workforce or general public rather than than the written word. If every employer undertook to carry on their business in accordance with their 'written' H&S policy we would be out of a job!!! How many employers do you know who abide by the content of their H&S policy? Just trying to save time and effort if its not really required, It's more important to get the building and the way it is managed and run correct, what do you think?