Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 May 2003 12:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young The June edition of SHP has over 30 pages of job advertisements in it. Of this plethora of adverts, many from agencies with multiple vacancies, I counted 1 Scottish based job. Now, notwithstanding the decline in Scottish industry over the past years, doesn't this appear suspicious that Scottish employers may be less willing to fulfil their H&S obligations towards employing competent people than their counterparts south of the border. Or is it just that we Scots are happier in our current jobs that we don't want to move!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 May 2003 12:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Gibson Perhaps Scottish HSE practitioners are provided with such excellant salaries and high standards of living that none of them ever change their jobs, and hence no adverts. Alternatively all industry has achieved such a high plateau of safety standards that there is no need for such roles any longer. Or maybe they have simply found it better to hide their job location so as to ensure that practitioners are not put off by being North of Hadrian's Wall
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 May 2003 12:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alex Falconer From experience, the general feeling is that employers do not take their responsibilities seriously. Having been involved in H&S for over 8 years and educated to Tech SP level (plus Dip EM), previous employers have expected the H&S professional to assume full responsibility should things go wrong (in the hope this absolves them of prosecution -despite advising them to the contrary). Trying to make cost effective H&S recommendations & improvements or funding for training (both for employee and personal development) is almost impossible. I would have more luck in getting blood out of a stone. Maybe its the economy currently affecting businesses in Scotland, that budgets are more of a priority for other departments, rather than for H&S. But again, this is just my opinion!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 May 2003 13:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By sylvia Ron - how many jobs did you spot in Wales (or Ireland come to that). This month seems a bit thin for all jobs. I think it's just population, not attitude, based. London / home counties v. the rest. I thought there had been quite a few (funny expression!) of jobs in Scotland in the last few months and at reasonable levels too.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 May 2003 17:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Blair Ron, It is true that there is a real void of good health and safety positions north of the border and the type of job you are looking for may not be advertised in the ususal recruitment sources (ie Herald or Scotsman newspapers). I can only suggest you persue other sources, such as recruitment consultants (Melville Craig are particularly good) and try to get yourself involved in industry safety groups. I am involved in the Scottish Contractors Safety Group and that is a good source of information on who is looking for safety professionals. I can only assume that other industries will have similar groups. Andrew
Admin  
#6 Posted : 29 May 2003 17:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Ron At least two of us have recently made appointments in the Central Belt by using the IOSH chat forum. From my experience, the Herald is a more popular place to advertise jobs here than the Practitioner. Also lots of networking, headhunting etc. In practice, precious few unemployed MIOSH people in this part of the world. 4 MIOSH people in this office alone, with two more imminent when they receive their level 4 NVQs and thence corporate membership. Lots of jobs in THSP in and around London. A reflection on the real problems organisations down there have in recruitment and retention. Peter
Admin  
#7 Posted : 29 May 2003 21:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Miller I remember sending for an application form for one of those Scottish jobs you mentioned just recently. I was suprised to be asked what nationality I was English or Scottish? Any wonder I never applied! This must be how they keep those positions for themselves.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 30 May 2003 11:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Peter, I agree your comments on advertising in newspapers and your prudence by advertising on this forum. I still have the feeling that there are too few H&S jobs advertised in Scotland, even via the well known agencies. I suppose good quality jobs in Gods country are few and far between...