Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 July 2003 10:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Are You Ready For The Working World? You are qualified to be a professional. SCROLL DOWN FOR THE ANSWERS. There is no need to cheat. The questions are not that difficult. You just need to think like a professional. 1. How do you put a giraffe into a refrigerator? The correct answer is: Open the refrigerator, put in the giraffe and close the door. This question tests whether or not you are doing simple things in a complicated way. 2. How do you put an elephant into a refrigerator? Incorrect answer: Open the refrigerator, put in the elephant and close the door. Correct Answer: Open the refrigerator remove the giraffe and put in the elephant and close the door. This question tests your foresight. 3. The Lion King is hosting an animal conference. All the animals attend except one. Which animal does not attend? Correct answer: The elephant. The elephant is in the refrigerator! This tests if you are capable of comprehensive thinking. OK, if you did not have the last three questions correctly, this one may be your last chance to test your qualifications to be a professional. 4. There is a river filled with crocodiles. How do you cross it? Correct answer: Simply swim through it. All the crocodiles are attending the animal meeting! This question tests your reasoning ability. So...... If you answered four out of four questions correctly, you are a true professional. Wealth and success await you. If you answered three out of four, you have some catching up to do but there's hope for you. If you answered two out of four, consider a career as a hamburger flipper in a fast food joint. If you answered one out of four, try selling some of your organs. It's the only way you will ever make any money. If you answered none correctly, consider a career that does not require any higher mental functions at all, such as law, claims adjusting or safety.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 July 2003 10:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Heres another courtesy of Vermont safety page Boys and Girls at the ATM His and Her Drive Through ATM Instructions: HIS: 1. Pull up to ATM 2. Insert Card 3. Enter PIN and account 4. Take Cash, card and receipt 5. Drive away HERS: 1. Pull up to ATM 2. Back up and pull forward to get closer 3. Shut off engine 4. Put keys in purse 5. Get out of car because you’re too far from machine 6. Hunt for card in purse 7. Insert card 8. Hunt in purse for grocery receipt with PIN written on it 9. Enter PIN 10. Study instructions 11. Hit "cancel" 12. Re-enter correct PIN 13. Check balance 14. Look for envelope 15. Look in purse for pen 16. Make out deposit slip 17. Endorse checks 18. Make Deposit 19. Study instructions 20. Make cash withdrawal 21. Get in car 22. Check makeup 23. Look for keys 24. Start car 25. Check makeup 26. Start pulling away 27. Stop 28. Back up to machine 29. Get out of car 30. Take card and receipt 31. Get back in car 32. Put card in wallet 33. Put receipt in checkbook 34. Enter deposits and withdrawals in checkbook 35. Clear area in purse for wallet and checkbook 36. Check makeup 37. Put car in reverse 38. Put car in drive 39. Drive away from machine 40. Drive 3 miles 41. Release parking brake
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 July 2003 10:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould When does a person decide to become a safety guy? Safety guys Q: When does a person decide to become a safety guy? A: When he realizes he doesn't have the charisma to be an undertaker. Q: What do safety guys use for birth control? A: Their personalities. Q: How can you tell an extroverted safety guy? A: When he talks to you, he looks at your shoes instead of his own. Q: Why did the safety guys cross the road? A: Because they looked in the file and that's what they did last year. Q: How do you drive a safety guy completely insane? A: Tie him to a chair, stand in front of him, and fold up a road mapthe wrong way. You might be a safety guy if you take a cruise so you can go on a personal tour of the engine room. in college you thought Spring Break was metal fatigue. at an air show, you know how fast the skydivers are falling. you can quote scenes from any Monty Python movie. you can type 70 words per minute but can't read your own handwriting. you sit backwards on the Blackpool rides to see how they do the special effects. you have saved every power cord from all your broken appliances. you have more friends on the Internet than in real life. you know what http:// stands for. you see a good design and still have to change it. you spent more on your calculator than you did on your wedding ring. you think that people yawning around you are sleep deprived. your laptop computer costs more than your car. your wife hasn't the foggiest idea of what you do at work.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 July 2003 10:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould English Language (and we wonder why it is so hard to learn English) We polish the Polish furniture. He could lead if he would get the lead out. A farm can produce produce. The dump was so full it had to refuse refuse. The soldier decided to desert in the desert. The present is a good time to present the present. At the Army base, a bass was painted on the head of a bass drum. The dove dove into the bushes. I did not object to the object. The insurance for the invalid was invalid. The bandage was wound around the wound. There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row. They were too close to the door to close it. The buck does funny things when the does are present. They sent a sewer down to stitch the tear in the sewer line. To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow. The wind was too strong to wind the sail. After a number of Novocain injections, my jaw got number. I shed a tear when I saw the tear in my clothes. I had to subject the subject to a series of tests. How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend? I spent last evening evening out a pile of dirt.
I hope this was at least worth a smile!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 July 2003 10:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Spouse’s Affidavit I, _____________________________, hereby authorize my spouse to work without wearing gloves, hard hat, goggles, safety shoes or any other safety equipment, and hereby promise that I will without complaint, perform the following duties in case he/she is blinded or crippled: 1. Lead him/her wherever he wants to go. 2. Help him/her dress and eat. 3. Describe the scenery to him/her on our vacations. 4. Read to him/her instead of watching television. 5. Describe the way the children’s eyes light up at Christmas and what their graduations and weddings are like. 6. Teach him/her to do housework so I can get a job to support our family. 7. Do all the work around the yard and garage that he/she used to do. 8. Teach our little boy how to play ball, build model airplanes, fish and hunt.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 11 July 2003 10:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Emma Forbes V good!! That only applies to dumb gals though. Me? I get my partner to go to the ATM for me - with his card!
Admin  
#7 Posted : 11 July 2003 10:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould "A Dead Horse" Dakota tribal wisdom says that when you discover you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount. However, in safety management often I find that many try other strategies with dead horses, including the following: 1. Buying a stronger whip. 2. Changing riders. 3. Saying things like "This is the way we always have ridden this horse." 4. Appointing a committee to study the horse. 5. Arranging to visit other sites to see how they ride dead horses. 6. Increasing the standards to ride dead horses. 7. Appointing a tiger team to revive the dead horse. 8. Creating a training session to increase our riding ability. 9. Comparing the state of dead horses in today's environment. 10. Change the threshold of "dead" declaring that "This horse is not dead." 11. Hire contractors to ride the dead horse. 12. Harnessing several dead horses together for increased speed. 13. Declaring that "No horse is too dead to beat." 14. Providing additional funding to increase the horse's performance. 15. Do a Study to see if contractors can ride it cheaper. 16. Purchase a product to make dead horses run faster. 17. Declare the horse is "better, faster and cheaper" dead. 18. Form a quality circle to find uses for dead horses. 19. Revisit the performance requirements for horses. 20. Say this horse was procured with cost as an independent variable. 21. Promote the dead horse to a supervisory position. 22. Develop an incentive awards program to encourage the dead horse to perform at acceptable levels.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 11 July 2003 10:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Brick Accident Dear Sir: I am writing in response to your request for additional information in Block #3 of the accident reporting form. I put "Poor Planning" as the cause of my accident. You asked for a fuller explanation and I trust the following details will be sufficient. I am a bricklayer by trade. On the day of the accident, I was working alone on the roof of a new six-story building. When I completed my work, I found I had some bricks left over which when weighed later were found to weigh 240 lbs. Rather than carry the bricks down by hand, I decided to lower them in a barrel by using a pulley which was attached to the side of the building at the sixth floor. Securing the rope at ground level, I went up to the roof, swung the barrel out and loaded the bricks into it. Then I went down and untied the rope, holding it tightly to insure a slow descent of the 240 lbs of bricks. You will note on the accident reporting form that my weight is 135 lbs. Due to my surprise at being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I proceeded at a rapid rate up the side of the building. In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel which was now proceeding downward at an equally impressive speed. This explains the fractured skull, minor abrasions and the broken collarbone, as listed in Section 3, accident reporting form. Slowed only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until the fingers of my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley which I mentioned in Paragraph 2 of this correspondence. Fortunately by this time I had regained my presence of mind and was able to hold tightly to the rope, in spite of the excruciating pain I was now beginning to experience. At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of bricks hit the ground-and the bottom fell out of the barrel. Now devoid of the weight of the bricks, the barrel weighed approximately 50 lbs. I refer you again to my weight. As you might imagine, I began a rapid descent down the side of the building. In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for the two fractured ankles, broken tooth and severe lacerations of my legs and lower body. Here my luck began to change slightly. The encounter with the barrel seemed to slow me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell into the pile of bricks and fortunately only three vertebrae were cracked. I am sorry to report, however, as I lay there on the pile of bricks, in pain, unable to move and watching the empty barrel six stories above me, I again lost my composure and presence of mind and let go of the rope.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 11 July 2003 10:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Business Definitions The powers-that-be say something and you know what you have heard, but that may not be quite what they mean. So, to help you understand the meaning that really hides behind the boss's words, here is a list of definitions to help you sort out what's really going on. Ambitious (me) - brilliant, efficient and deserving promotion. Ambitious (you) - ruthless, toadying and not to be trusted. Negotiate - I put my point of view. Argue - you put your point of view. Analytical projection - guess. Forecast - wild guess. Long-range forecast - well, we had to put something on paper. Delegate - pass the buck. Delegate upwards - pass the bokk back to the boss. Filed - lost. Pending - what on earth did we do with this! Scheduled - hoped for. Planned - it might happen sometime. Delayed - forgotten. Under way - we hope to start next week. Approaching completion - still in bits. Not urgent - within 2 hours will be OK. Urgent - I want it now! Very urgent - I wanted it yesterday! New product - last year's model mucked about a bit. Radically new concept - last year's model mucked about a lot. Ingeniously engineered - incredibly difficult to install and service. Thoroughly tested - the boss played with it in the office. Exhaustively tested - the boss took it home and let the kids play with it. Tested to destruction - the boss's family broke it within 5 minutes. Adverse consumer reaction - the boss's wife did not like it. Industrial by-product - our waste. Environmental pollution - other people's waste. Profit before tax - profit. Profit before tax - loss. Deficit - staggering loss. Fringe benefit - theft by the boss. Pilfering - theft by the employee. Bottom line - money. Rationalization - cutbacks. Downsizing - your departments being cut in half. You have a key role in our plans - watch your back, the plans are for downsizing. Company restructure - two people will be doing the work of three. Major company restructure - two people will be doing the work of five. We do not anticipate any redundancies - you're probably safe for the next three weeks. Terminal handshake (the boss) - a fat golden handshake. Terminal payment (employees) - a months pay in lieu of notice. Career minded move - demotion. Open discussion - argument. Frank and open discussion - flaming row. Familiar with the job - hasn't got a clue. Experienced - went on a three day course. Recommended - smart Alec. Shrewd - devious. Strategy - low cunning. Deficiency analysis - pointing the finger at someone else. I hear what you are saying - nothing you have said will make any difference. Point taken - OK, we might have slipped up. Conclusive evidence - I told you so!
Admin  
#10 Posted : 11 July 2003 11:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Are you alright Jason, do you think you ought to lie down for an hour or so?
Admin  
#11 Posted : 11 July 2003 11:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Whent Jason, have you been spending your valuable time on the safteng web site or have you found the 'www.today.icantfocus.com Jokes and Anti-Safety Photos' sections? Rob
Admin  
#12 Posted : 11 July 2003 11:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Nah just compliling a collection of jokes for future training sessions. Send some in i need lots. Im not working at mo so have the time to post a few. They do come in handy when your dealing withe different people.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 11 July 2003 11:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Tommy's List of "Phrases to Live By" 1. Never be afraid to try something new. Remember: amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic. 2. Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good. 3. Love is grand. Divorce is several hundred grand. 4. Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason. 5. An optimist thinks that this is the best of possible worlds. A pessimist fears that this is true. 6. In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday. 7. I always wanted to be a procrastinator; I never got around to it. 8. I am a nutritional overachiever. 9. I am having an out of money experience. 10. I plan on living forever. So far, so good. 11. A day without sunshine is like night. 12. I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it. 13. Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician
Admin  
#14 Posted : 11 July 2003 11:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Thanks for those addresses ill have a look now. Any way im stopping now as i guess most of you have seen these before. Ive just recently got net at home and am engulfed in this info.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 11 July 2003 11:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lisa Fowlie Hi Jason, nice to have a sense of humour! It is Friday after all. Mind you someone will soon say perhaps it is not appropriate on the Safety Forum...... Have a good day, Lisa. Old but suitably prickly!! Balloonist Joke A man in a hot air balloon realised he was lost. He reduced altitude and spotted a man below. He descended a bit more and shouted, "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don't know where I am." The man below replied, "You are in a hot air balloon hovering approximately 30 feet above the ground. You are between 40 and 41 degrees north latitude and between 59 and 60 degrees west longitude." "You must be an engineer," said the balloonist. "I am," replied the man, "How did you know?" "Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you told me is technically correct, but I have no idea what to make of your information, and the fact is I am still lost. Frankly, you've not been much help so far." The man below responded, "You must be a manager." "I am," replied the balloonist, "but how did you know?" "Well," said the man, "you don't know where you are or where you are going. You have risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise, which you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem. The fact is you are in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but now, somehow, it's my fault."
Admin  
#16 Posted : 11 July 2003 16:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lisa Fowlie Jason, It would appear that to date so far 889 people have viewed the jokes "quite clearly marked as such", yet few are willing to contribute. For fear of having offended any managers here is another prickly one: A shepherd was herding his flock in a remote pasture when suddenly a brand-new BMW X5 advanced out of a dust cloud towards him. The driver, a young man in a Broni suit, Gucci shoes, Ray Ban sunglasses and D+G tie, leans out the window and asks the shepherd, "If I tell you exactly how many sheep you have in your flock, will you give me one?" The shepherd looks at the man, obviously a yuppie, then looks at his peacefully grazing flock and calmly answers, "Sure. Why not?" The yuppie parks his car, whips out his Dell notebook computer, connects it to his AT&T cell phone, surfs to a NASA page on the internet, where he calls up a GPS satellite navigation system to get an exact fix on his location which he then feeds to another NASA satellite that scans the area in an ultra-high-resolution photo. They young man then opens the digital photo in Adobe Photoshop and exports it to an image processing facility in Hamburg, Germany. Within seconds, he receives an email on his Palm Pilot that the image has been processed and the data stored. He then accesses a MS-SQL database through an ODBC connected Excel spreadsheet with hundreds of complex formulas. He uploads all of this data via an email on his Blackberry and, after a few minutes, receives a response. Finally, he prints out a full-color, 150-page report on his hi-tech, miniaturized HP LaserJet printer and finally turns to the shepherd and says, "You have exactly 1586 sheep." "That's right. Well, I guess you can take one of my sheep." says the shepherd. He watches the young man select one of the animals and looks on amused as the young man stuffs it into the back of his SUV. Then the shepherd says to the young man, "Hey, if I can tell you exactly what your business is, will you give me back my animal?" The young man thinks about it for a second and then says, "Okay, why not?" "You're a consultant." says the shepherd. "Wow! That's correct," says the yuppie, "but how did you guess that?" "No guessing required." answered the shepherd. "You showed up here even though nobody called you; you want to get paid for an answer I already knew, to a question I never asked; and you know nothing about my business. ... Now give me back my dog"
Admin  
#17 Posted : 11 July 2003 16:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter This hasn't got much to do with safety but it always makes me smile: THE BRITISH WAY Once upon a time, a British and a Japanese company decided to have a competitive boat race on the River Arun. Both teams practised long and hard to reach their peak performance. On the big day, they were as ready as they could be. The Japanese won by a mile. Afterwards, the British team became very discouraged by the loss and morale sagged. Senior management decided that the reason for the crushing defeat had to be found and a project team was set up to investigate the problem and recommend appropriate action. The team came to the conclusion that the defeat had been due to the Japanese team having eight people rowing and one person steering while the British team had one person rowing and eight people steering. Senior management immediately hired a consultant to carry out a study on the team’s structure. Millions of pounds and several months later, the consultant concluded that too many people were steering and not enough were rowing. To prevent another defeat the following year, the team structure was changed to four steering managers, three senior steering managers and one executive steering manager. A performance and appraisal scheme was set up to give the person rowing the boat a greater incentive to work harder and become a key performer. “We must give him empowerment and enrichment”, they said, “That ought to do it.” The next year, the Japanese won by two miles. The British company laid off the rower for poor performance, sold off all the paddles, cancelled all capital investment for new equipment and halted development of a new canoe. The consultants were awarded a large performance bonus. Paul
Admin  
#18 Posted : 11 July 2003 17:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould That was class lisa as i am not working have swapped roles i look after kids. I have time to collate lots of pictures and jokes on a cd cos i know all the people that i met in the safety game is one is any good jokes, and got some clipart. They are great ice breakers in training sessions and help when your faced with 12 builders on a monday morning. I have the time so ill just keep collecting and amusing myself. If anyone has any good clipart or jokes etc i would be gratefull if you could email them and i will always try to pass some back to yourselves.
Admin  
#19 Posted : 15 July 2003 12:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Whent Jason, try the following site: www.1safetysource.com Should keep you going for a few days....... Rob
Admin  
#20 Posted : 16 July 2003 15:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Houghton Jason, I find http://dgl.microsoft.com/ really good for general clipart - it's free! Lisa, I liked your Shepherd joke. Brian Houghton H&S Consultant