Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 August 2003 15:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone We have a gym used by students and staff, at this time of year we have few staff and no students in. Two members of staff (who have had induction training) want to use the gym at lunch times when there will be no supervision. Our security staff are unhappy as they are worried about insurance, equipment being stolen and what happens if something goes wrong. The gym is not in a busy area so if one staff member was on their own and something went wrong they probably wouldnt be found for a while. Our insurers are unhappy for then to use it unsupervised. What do you all think? Ian PS A risk assessment has beeen carried out and it wous found to be unacceptable due to the reasons given above
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 August 2003 16:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Linda Westrupp If your risk assessment says it is an unacceptable risk, then it is just that and unless you can find a supervisor/member of gym staff to attend during these hours it cannot be used. Hope this helps Linda
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 August 2003 16:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Bruce Ian I would suggest as you have already said, if can not arrange any suitable supervision / first aiders it should be closed during the school hols time unfortunatly. regards mike bruce
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 August 2003 09:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod McGovern Is it not simply a case of having a rule that no-one is allowed in the gym alone? And/or providing an emergency phone. Controlling entrance by issuing keys and recording who is in the gym at a particular time would be a way of reducing the likelyhood of theft. We should be doing everything to encourage gym use - not closing it when staff presumably have more time to use it. Good luck in finding an acceptable solution.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 August 2003 09:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor We operate one of our gyms along the lines described by Rod.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 August 2003 14:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By johnwaterson I think as Rod has said would be more than acceptable. I use a local gym and at times there are no instructors present, doesn't seem to be a problem. When I was in the forces there were times when there were no qualified instructors around, people screwded the nut. Did not use heavy weights in case they had an injury, all down to common sense. Hope you find a solution where the head shed let you train.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 08 August 2003 10:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Agree that this is the most sensible route to take but does it need a RA. A bit off the beaten track again, why do we still 'do a risk assessment!' as the answer to all problems and then you are stuck in the trap of not doing anything else apart from what you said on the RA. What happened to 'reasonably practicable' and 'substatial risk to health' This is a real bug bear for me as I have said in the past. Some trained responsible adults want to use the gym in their lunch hour, problem? yeh just dont touch the bucket of Chromate or interfere with the sudents nuclear reactor in the corner! ITs no wonder we as a profession are the biggest red tape bureacratic numpties in industry and never taken seriously. Could this not be to do with the security issue who are trying to use the 'safety' card to stop the security dept doing something they dont want to do. eg security at lunch time!!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 08 August 2003 13:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Danny Swygart Rod seems to have the common sense solution. This system is used at a lot of Hotel gyms / swimming pools at which i have stayed. Danny.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 09 August 2003 13:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick Dave it bugs me a great deal as well when people us the HS card to get something implemented that is not really the key issue. As you state the motive behind this is really security, and if there is a serious security issue then management should impliment the rule and explain their reasons for doing so, honestly. regards Steve