Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 January 2004 11:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Butler My apologies if this has been covered before, however, I have a fleet of vehicles, which operate on public and private roads,the drivers are equipped with mobile phones, and also fitted for 2 way radio, the use of mobile phones has been covered already, but when reviewing the risk assessment,I realised, the use of a vehicle fitted radio had not been covered, if any forum users have a similar situation, or any suggestions, they would be appreciated, thanks in advance, Nick
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 January 2004 11:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd The police have a rule that the driver doesn't operate comms systems whilst the vehicle is moving. In my hobby, amateur radio, most mobile operators have hands-free mikes and either VOX (voice operated switching) or a steer wheel mounted PTT) There have been a large amount of tests over the years, and practically all have shown that operating phones while driving leads to decreased ability to react to events. Note: they all show that talking and driving at the same time does the same ! In any case, if they are holding a microphone with one hand, that hand is not on the steering wheel. It should be. That goes for cb rigs as well.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 January 2004 12:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jeff Manion You mention radios. Consider that some equipment - plant as well - have radios with music, am aware of incident where driver was moving tracked vehicle - tapping foot to music and "over did it" and struck a building (the building was damaged) near miss was reported. JM