Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#41 Posted : 16 May 2004 15:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Costelloe I had intended to refrain from participating any further in this thread, since it seems to have degenerated into farce. (not that it was a particularly relevant comment that started it). I wasn't aware, however that I'd even mentioned dialect before - the spelling is the same no matter what dialect you speak. I am not from Oxford or Cambridge, I come from Gateshead in the North-East, but I don't use this as an excuse for bad spelling or grammar. David, it is interesting to note that there is a South East London variation on the way my surname is spelt however.
Admin  
#42 Posted : 16 May 2004 19:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart James Gornall TETALLY ARGREE geff BI the way i have just pessed mi MSc with merit People should lighten up and get a life Cheers Stuart Gornall MSc RSP MIOSH
Admin  
#43 Posted : 17 May 2004 09:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zyggy Turek FAO David Partington I could not help but notice the awful spelling mistake in your submission, i.e. "As our team (Millwall)are about to win the FA Cup"...this must surely be an error! As a Man United supporter (yes, I am from Manchester) I will be in Cardiff on Saturday, probably to be found at the Cornish Pasty shop opposite the Castle! As for this thread...well, my opinion for what it's worth is that the odd spelling/punctuation error in this Forum is not a hanging offence. But, in other situations, i.e. reports/ investigations/memos, etc., sloppy presentation is usually noticed, & that can have a detrimental effect on what the author is attempting to convey.
Admin  
#44 Posted : 17 May 2004 11:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Craige Thanks all for reminding me why I'm jumping from the Health & Safety ship into a new career!
Admin  
#45 Posted : 17 May 2004 11:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood I always strive for a high standard of English when submitting written reports or giving presentations. When chatting with my friends in the pub I tend to be a lot more relaxed and will freely massacre our beloved language with the best of them. Posting on this forum is not a formal presentation to management, so one can be more relaxed, perhaps not as relaxed as the pub, but I certainly feel that it is the content that matters and presentation much less so - including spelling. What is particularly amazing is that we have all contributed more to this thread than to almost any other this year. If only we could get anything like as much interest in health & safety on these forums, wouldn't they be usefull then........... Alec Wood Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#46 Posted : 17 May 2004 12:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rob Todd Wow! Certainly were a few people getting out of their pram's here. Never mind - being a life-long Millwall supporter and speaking with a South London accent, I thought you might like to know that I once spotted a Millwall T-shirt with the logo "Come on you Loins" , obviously an advert for the local butchers. Is this chat line exhausted now? How about a new thread which say's that today's news story about workers dying of passive smoking is a total lie!
Admin  
#47 Posted : 17 May 2004 23:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Edward Partington Serious bit first. Rod Todd you are quite right about serious issues - Tobacco. When I did my BSc in Occ Health and Safety in the 90's my dissertation was on how much tobacco smoke bar staff were exposed to and I measured this at the Rutland Arms - Perry Hill where none of the bar staff smoke themselves (still don't). The conclusion from the data based on CO levels was that staff were exposed to approxiamtely two cigarettes per shift (dependent on the brand of cigarette). I also found research (Halliwell - I believe)that suggested that people who smoked two cigarettes per day had no greater incidence of lung cancer. The difficulty with tobacco is the known 42 cacinagens and the 4500 known chemicals within tobacco (synergistic potentials) and the complexity of tar. Therefore on balance -hierarchy of control etc tobacco should be banned in the workplace. The fun bit Ziggy I understand your confidence in Man U however, Wimbledon-Suderland and West Ham. It is one game and we are up for it. In the manor tickets are exchanging hand for impressive amounts of cash I suspect this is the same in Manchester, this is the part where you are given fraternal assistance. Can I suggest that you sell your ticket at say £300 put most of it on Millwall at 11/2 (William Hill) plus a few quid on my 670/1 advice(see earlier posting). With all of the winnings you should be able to buy consolation for your friends in the pub and still have enough money left over for a holiday - on Millwall. Best regards David.
Admin  
#48 Posted : 18 May 2004 02:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Spencer My last word on the matter: Standards of presentation are an issue of personal pride whether they be for a global posting such as this or a professional presentation in front of academics or workers. The point is, poorly presented information about any issue unless contained within inverted commas or quotes are to be considered the written thought processes of the person providing that information. If people consider that providing their thought processes in a vulgar or insulting and/or undignified manner where grammar is of a low order is conscionable, then the reader must draw their own conclusions about the person’s veracity in making the point or the merit of statement ‘in toto’. This chat page is a formal forum that is read and contributed too on a global scale and has rules such as the ‘Code of Conduct’, and therefore must be considered by the contributors to be the best opinion or thought process provided by the individual. I will argue until my last breath that apart from the pub scenario or ‘lower deck/barrack room/shopfloor’ or any other location where expletives and poor grammar, of a boorish nature is an expectation, there is no excuse for poor grammar, or for those who contribute to ‘gain saying’ those that provide contemporaneously, remarks about the standard of English in this forum. There is no excuse for slackness!!! It the same arguement - 'excellence vs mediocrity' I'm for excellence everytime. Richard
Admin  
#49 Posted : 18 May 2004 10:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt I must confess to sympathy with Richard's view. A literate community is a necessary step in regaining the confidence we should have, despite snipings from Mr Clarkson. And it doesn't take a minute to check the spelling and the grammar via Word, or even (as I do) by previewing the response. So, Richard, I'm a bit of a pedant myself - but just occasionally I enjoy hearing from a real expert! Please carry on. Allan :-)
Admin  
#50 Posted : 18 May 2004 12:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Wood i claim the prize for being the first to spot (or the first to mention!) richard spencer as a prize spoofer. can you post my copy of teh "Countdown" dictionary, please!
Admin  
#51 Posted : 18 May 2004 13:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee Alan, I hate to be a pedant but you do not start a sentence with the word, "And". Just teasing....!
Admin  
#52 Posted : 18 May 2004 16:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee By the way is there a prize for 50th posting, what do I win, dictionary, thesaurus, speak and spell ?
Admin  
#53 Posted : 18 May 2004 17:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Patrick Teyhan Rod Todd gets my vote. Anyone got any H&S Jobs going spare? Regards