Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GrahamC  
#1 Posted : 17 October 2016 14:32:27(UTC)
GrahamC

If I'm writing a risk assessment and I've identified a hazard eg. coliding with a motor vehicle whilst riding your bike. How do I rate it's severity? do I think of the worst that could happen eg. a bus running over your head and you dying of severe head injuries; or the statistically most likely outcome, more minor injuries, maybe a broken bone? Or should I list both of these scenarios seperately and rate their likelehood individually?

Any help welcomed!

Invictus  
#2 Posted : 17 October 2016 14:40:15(UTC)
Invictus

Why are you writing it?

RayRapp  
#3 Posted : 17 October 2016 14:52:31(UTC)
RayRapp

Originally Posted by: Invictus Go to Quoted Post

Why are you writing it?

I would be interested to know as well. Meanwhile, assuming you are completing a five point scale severity, I take the view that where death is a likely outcome I would select that, although statistically it is more likely a collision with a car will result in a minor/major injury depending on a number of variables. Indeed, the concept is similar with coming into contact with electricity, most people will survive. However there is a reasonable chance it could be fatal. That said, it is not the severity which is the most important part of the RA but rather the controls to prevent coming into contact with the hazard.
thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
GrahamC on 17/10/2016(UTC)
Ian Bell2  
#4 Posted : 17 October 2016 15:12:25(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Depends if you are assessing the 'worst case' consequence or the most likely consequence.

Which is linked to the speed of the vehicles.

GrahamC  
#5 Posted : 17 October 2016 15:19:44(UTC)
GrahamC

Why are you writing it?

Well, our organisation provides cycle training to individuals and groups on public roads, this is a hazard participants face. I'm reviewing our written risk assessments for this activity which we keep to prove we have considered the risks participants face, and have implemented measures to mitigate these risks as far as possible, and to communicate these measures to our staff and other parties.
GrahamC  
#6 Posted : 17 October 2016 15:23:08(UTC)
GrahamC

Originally Posted by: Ian Bell2 Go to Quoted Post

Depends if you are assessing the 'worst case' consequence or the most likely consequence.

Which is linked to the speed of the vehicles.

Is there a convention for this though? Every incident will be different, but should I assume the worst case, the most likely, or list and assess both?
JohnW  
#7 Posted : 17 October 2016 16:08:44(UTC)
JohnW

Originally Posted by: GrahamC Go to Quoted Post
  our organisation provides cycle training to individuals and groups on public roads, this is a hazard participants face.

Well, maybe your risk assessment can cver different scenarios separately, and consider if additional controls could reduce the risks, though I can't think what additional controls are available.

But I suppose severity varies according to these scenarios: cycle path through a park, cycle path in a 30mph street, riding along a 30mph street with no cycle path,  riding along a 40mph street with no cycle path,  riding along a 60mph country road with no cycle path......

The controls are always the same? Helmet, knee pads, training in traffic awareness, hmmm... what else is there?

John

Invictus  
#8 Posted : 18 October 2016 06:59:16(UTC)
Invictus

Originally Posted by: JohnW Go to Quoted Post

our organisation provides cycle training to individuals and groups on public roads, this is a hazard participants face.

Well, maybe your risk assessment can cver different scenarios separately, and consider if additional controls could reduce the risks, though I can't think what additional controls are available.

But I suppose severity varies according to these scenarios: cycle path through a park, cycle path in a 30mph street, riding along a 30mph street with no cycle path,  riding along a 40mph street with no cycle path,  riding along a 60mph country road with no cycle path......

The controls are always the same? Helmet, knee pads, training in traffic awareness, hmmm... what else is there?

John

Knee pads? whatever next, hel;met yes knee pads no. What are the ages of the people are they kids just learning or are they adults who want to have a better understanding. If they are adults I would suggest this is money for old rope.

I would consider all but I wouldn't do it separately I would just list the injuries possible including death and then put in the cointrol measures, the thing is it is not a workplace were you would have some degree of control of employees, in this case the only control measures you can put in place are to those that you are teaching. So high viz in the dark, lights, awareness of surroundings, using cycle lanes etc.

A Kurdziel  
#9 Posted : 18 October 2016 09:14:48(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Personally when looking at severity I always look at the worst case scenario- I don't bring likelihood into it at all. Then I look at the risk with existing controls and if that is not adequate look at additional controls to bring the risk down.

One thing you might do is to split the risk assessment across several scenarios. So instead of one risk assessment for cycling, you have different ones for different road conditions or off road cycling vs road cycling etc. Whether you think that is worth it is down to you. You could end up with half a dozen identical RAs, which is a bit pointless.  

RayRapp  
#10 Posted : 18 October 2016 09:34:59(UTC)
RayRapp

The problem here I suggest is not in identifying the risks but implementing meaningful controls. Apart from what has been suggested in terms of PPE etc, there is lettle you can do to control the actions of motorised vehicles on the public highway. I suggest keeping the RA short and sweet.
jodieclark1510  
#11 Posted : 18 October 2016 10:33:34(UTC)
jodieclark1510

I would try and take some of the scenario bit out of the eqation- consider whether you could sustain minor, major or fatal injuries, or none at all.

Sometimes we cannot reduce the severity of an event. You cannot control everything in this kind of scenario, but you can take steps to reduce the liklihood of it occuring instead i.e use of cycle paths, only riding in daylight hours, consider undertaking activity outside of peak times roads are in use. It won't mean the injuries would be any less severe were an accident to occur sadly, but may make it less likely to happen instead.

Likelihood and severity are two very different concepts.

Graham  
#12 Posted : 18 October 2016 10:46:49(UTC)
Graham

Knee pads? whatever next, hel;met yes knee pads no. What are the ages of the people are they kids just learning or are they adults who want to have a better understanding. If they are adults I would suggest this is money for old rope.

'money  for old rope', not with  the behaviour of cyclists  I see every day as I walk round London.  Some need to to  told not to  go up the inside of a vehicle  turning left,  so there  is obviously a need to educate cyclists.

Invictus  
#13 Posted : 18 October 2016 12:00:09(UTC)
Invictus

Originally Posted by: Graham Go to Quoted Post

'money  for old rope', not with  the behaviour of cyclists  I see every day as I walk round London.  Some need to to  told not to  go up the inside of a vehicle  turning left,  so there  is obviously a need to educate cyclists.

I you can never legislate for idiots.

jwk  
#14 Posted : 18 October 2016 12:54:11(UTC)
jwk

The old version of MS had some very useful graphs, which admittedly were explained very badly.

It's all about frequency, so in answer to your query, is it worst case or most likely, the answer is; it's the most likely worst case.

So, to take an example, I have known two people almost die as a result of a cut to a finger. One had a heart attack on the operating table when their abcessed finger was being drained, one suffered major blood-loss when she tore the little artery in her little finger. Do I thenrate a cut finger as severe? After all, I have known two people who nearly died. Of course I don't; almost all cut fingers are minor inconveniences, so a graph of outcomes for a cut finger would peak at the left, with a very long tail ending in a miniscule number of deaths.

On the other hand a graph of outcomes for falls from a height would peak somewhere towards the right; a few people would get up and walk away from a 20 metre fall (or even very much higher given the right freak circumstances), but a large proportion of the incidents would result in quite severe injury or death.

So would your graph of outcomes be skewed left or right? That's how you determine severity,

John

thanks 1 user thanked jwk for this useful post.
chris42 on 25/10/2016(UTC)
achrn  
#15 Posted : 19 October 2016 09:10:41(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: JohnW Go to Quoted Post

Lots of interesting inferences in that posting.  Why is PPE the first control that came to mind?  We'd never accept it in the workplace, but as soon as it's cycling everyone’s first thought is that PPE for the victim is the most appropriate control.

Also, 'cycle path' doesn't necessarily make cyclists lives safer.  The accident frequency is, I believe, higher on cycle paths, but I don't know of any work that looks at aggregate severity.  The mechanism (ie, why cycle paths are worse) seems to be that the highway designers of the UK seem singularly clueless when it comes to integrating cycle paths into junctions.  That is, cycle paths and lanes probably make the 'just riding along' bit safer, but they often make the 'negotiating junctions' more difficult and more unclear (for all users - cyclists don't know if cars will give way, cars don't know if they are supposed to give way, everyone needs to be looking in twice as many different directions as once).  Since the majority of 'accidents' are at junctions anyway, making the junctions worse (and more numerous - another favourite trick of teh highways designers) has a bigger effect than making the in-between stretches better.  But that's largely speculation.

It probably is true that riding in the park leads to lesser severity injuries than riding on the street.  That's the underlying flaw in lots of the helmet effectiveness studies.  It does seem to be true that a helmeted rider in hospital (on average) has less severe head injuries, but it's also true that a helmeted rider is more likely to have been riding in the park.  In American accident data (where lots of the research originates) it's also true that poor cyclists are less likely to have been wearing a helmet and poor cyclists are also less likely to present at a hospital for relatively minor injuries.  Concluding that it was the helmet that made the injury less severe is potentially tenuous if you automatically discount that the helmet made a park appear for you to cycle in and also made you rich.

andybz  
#16 Posted : 19 October 2016 12:31:31(UTC)
andybz

Given that the question about severity in risk assessment comes up a lot, I have uploaded a presentation on YouTube to explain my views.  I have used a risk matrix to illustrate the issues, but that is just an attractive tool and should not be viewed as "the way to do risk assessment."

The presentation is 20 minutes long (sorry), but this is a topic that takes some time to explain.  I hope, by uploading it in a public forum that people can make comments that may lead to an improved, shared view or consensus. All comments and suggestions are welcome, and I am happy to adapt the presentation where necesary .

Link is

On the subject of cycling, the main thing missing (in my opinion) is the benefit.  There will always be risks, many of which cannot be fully controlled.  Without stating the benefits it will be difficult to justify. 

thanks 1 user thanked andybz for this useful post.
GrahamC on 21/10/2016(UTC)
Yossarian  
#17 Posted : 19 October 2016 12:55:02(UTC)
Yossarian

If I'm writing a risk assessment and I've identified a hazard eg. coliding with a motor vehicle whilst riding your bike. How do I rate it's severity? do I think of the worst that could happen eg. a bus running over your head and you dying of severe head injuries; or the statistically most likely outcome, more minor injuries, maybe a broken bone? Or should I list both of these scenarios seperately and rate their likelehood individually?

Any help welcomed!

The problem with choosing "worst case" is that you will always end up with multiple fatalities every time irrespective of what the risk is. For example, the worst case of receiving a paper cut is a blood infection leading to sepsis and death which is somehow spread to your colleagues or family. But realistically, you might end up with a shallow wound perhaps requiring a plaster. I therefore counsel my staff to consider each risk realistically when using our organisational severity/likelihood matrix when undertaking their risk assessments. However, in the scenario you give I would suggest that a fatality is not an unlikely outcome even though it might not be the most likely outcome, but the probability is high enough to pull the rating up a bit. This is one of the problems with attempting to quantify what is ultimately a qualitative assessment by the assessor.
thanks 1 user thanked Yossarian for this useful post.
GrahamC on 21/10/2016(UTC)
Invictus  
#18 Posted : 19 October 2016 13:12:28(UTC)
Invictus

Its all about being realistic, some people like the 'what if' I don't I think it traps you into producing unrealistic risk assessments that people no longer read or take any notice of.

Remember R/A's are a working tool that people have to understand, they are not a script for some slap stick comedy and if you write them with every possible outcome that's what they become.

achrn  
#19 Posted : 19 October 2016 13:51:55(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: andybz Go to Quoted Post

On the subject of cycling, the main thing missing (in my opinion) is the benefit.  There will always be risks, many of which cannot be fully controlled.  Without stating the benefits it will be difficult to justify. 

Very true.  There used to be an official BMA statement (policy briefing or something) that basically said that cycling was, on average, good for you whether or not you wear a helmet.  I don't know if it is still current. On average cycling extends your healthy life, however you go about it.

That's also why I run up stairs not holding the handrail (depite the stuff about 'mature safety culture' sometimes trotted out) - not only is it fun, it's good for me (in my opinion, though not that of some killjoys).

However, there's nothing (or very little meaningful, anyway) in most company health and safety systems or procedures about promoting or encouraging good stuff - it's nearly all about preventing bad stuff, isn't it?

Bazzer  
#20 Posted : 20 October 2016 17:05:35(UTC)
Bazzer

To some extent the value of severity whether it is a 5 (death) or 4 (major injury) doesn't really matter, the numbers reflects the priority to where you first take action. Likelihood is also important.

Roundtuit  
#21 Posted : 20 October 2016 19:56:23(UTC)
Roundtuit

sums up the human dilemma 'if only" the opposite of "what if" Get a pessimist to write an RA and you always end up with multiple fatalities Get an optimist to write an RA and you are looking at a cartoon script where severed limbs grow back Unfortunately even though we would like to perceive ourselves as realists we carry perceotion, agenda and prejudice which skew the output of every RA we touch. As example I have seen an RA with a 4x3 score - single fatality, likely to happen - this was describing PPE Yes fatal hazards present at the location E.g. FLT in close proximity to pedestrians but the whole descriptive process was missed meaning anyone reading the document could interpret that wearing company issued PPE is likely to kill you. And in reference to the post of cycling it really needs to be included that helmets meet the European Standard (not have a piece of paper or label claiming they do)
Roundtuit  
#22 Posted : 20 October 2016 19:56:23(UTC)
Roundtuit

sums up the human dilemma 'if only" the opposite of "what if" Get a pessimist to write an RA and you always end up with multiple fatalities Get an optimist to write an RA and you are looking at a cartoon script where severed limbs grow back Unfortunately even though we would like to perceive ourselves as realists we carry perceotion, agenda and prejudice which skew the output of every RA we touch. As example I have seen an RA with a 4x3 score - single fatality, likely to happen - this was describing PPE Yes fatal hazards present at the location E.g. FLT in close proximity to pedestrians but the whole descriptive process was missed meaning anyone reading the document could interpret that wearing company issued PPE is likely to kill you. And in reference to the post of cycling it really needs to be included that helmets meet the European Standard (not have a piece of paper or label claiming they do)
RayRapp  
#23 Posted : 21 October 2016 07:57:36(UTC)
RayRapp

This thread is another example of the time and effort spent producing RAs for the little gain they provide in terms of health and safety. Indeed, there are so many beneficial activities which get highlighted on these forums such as sports day, disco, walking trips, etc. None of these need a formal RA because as a rule they are low risk activities which are often not work-related anyway. A real shame RA processes have become not much more than a 'paper exercise'. In fact, when I recieve RAMS from contractors I seldom pay any attention to the RA because it's usually a generic load of tosh which is rarely followed anyway.
thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
Steve e ashton on 24/10/2016(UTC)
Ian Bell2  
#24 Posted : 21 October 2016 11:00:38(UTC)
Ian Bell2

I agree with Ray. Modern h&s has lost its way with risk assessment. Instead of concentrating on 'significant' risks we are now left with excessive paper work for low risk activities, which should have really be screened out very early in the process.

However we are in a situation of ambulance chasing claims companies chasing minor claims for people - see the recent thread about a minor cut in a kids play area.

Few h&s people/managers have the balls to say 'no risk assessment' required, as they are too scared of being pursued by pointless small minded auditors for 18001 etc and the above mentioned claims companies claiming against company insurance policies etc.

Or countless manhours lost gathering pretty, but meaningless management data to show 'compliance' - all to assist in various accreditation schemes to help secure further work e.g. 18001, the numerous construction schemes - all because corporate h&s bods won't say 'stop' - this is pointless.

H&S people need to grow a pair and concentrate on significant risks.

thanks 1 user thanked Ian Bell2 for this useful post.
Steve e ashton on 24/10/2016(UTC)
achrn  
#25 Posted : 21 October 2016 13:41:12(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: Ian Bell2 Go to Quoted Post

H&S people need to grow a pair and concentrate on significant risks.

That depends on whether the H&S person's job description is to protect the health and safety of the workforce, or to protect the company from the risks arising from health and safety matters.  In the latter case, small minded auditors, claims companies and accreditation schemes are all significant risks.

JohnW  
#26 Posted : 21 October 2016 14:28:24(UTC)
JohnW

Originally Posted by: achrn Go to Quoted Post
That depends on whether the H&S person's job description is to protect the health and safety of the workforce, or to protect the company from the risks arising from health and safety matters.  In the latter case, small minded auditors, claims companies and accreditation schemes are all significant risks.

Indeed. As a self-employed adviser I always tell my clients that I am available to advise on both (achrn quote: to protect the health and safety of the workforce, or to protect the company from the risks arising from health and safety matters), to concentrate on the significant, and to distinguish between legislation and best practice.

GrahamC  
#27 Posted : 21 October 2016 14:59:35(UTC)
GrahamC

Originally Posted by: jwk Go to Quoted Post

The old version of MS had some very useful graphs, which admittedly were explained very badly.

It's all about frequency, so in answer to your query, is it worst case or most likely, the answer is; it's the most likely worst case.

So, to take an example, I have known two people almost die as a result of a cut to a finger. One had a heart attack on the operating table when their abcessed finger was being drained, one suffered major blood-loss when she tore the little artery in her little finger. Do I thenrate a cut finger as severe? After all, I have known two people who nearly died. Of course I don't; almost all cut fingers are minor inconveniences, so a graph of outcomes for a cut finger would peak at the left, with a very long tail ending in a miniscule number of deaths.

On the other hand a graph of outcomes for falls from a height would peak somewhere towards the right; a few people would get up and walk away from a 20 metre fall (or even very much higher given the right freak circumstances), but a large proportion of the incidents would result in quite severe injury or death.

So would your graph of outcomes be skewed left or right? That's how you determine severity,

John

This is very useful. Thank you.

It's hard to find outcome data from cycle + motorised vehicle collisions. But for reported outcomes of all on road cycling accidents, for the type of riding we do, the percentage of fatal/serious injury is about 0.3%. Which might indicate that this is not the most appropriate severity to state on the risk assessment.

RayRapp  
#28 Posted : 22 October 2016 07:19:46(UTC)
RayRapp

Graham, fair point but, we should not get too hung up on the outcome whatever we are risk assessing. The fact remains we do not know for sure what the outcome will be as good/bad fortune will play its part. If on the numerical matrix you give something a 4 (major injury) instead of a 5 (fatal) or vice versa, no one is going to rubbish your RA. I don't believe in the worst case scenario either as otherwise all your RAs will result in a 5 and I have seen this before! 

As for 'trivial risks' being recorded to for the benefit of insurance companies or auditors, lawyers, or whatever, I agree with previous comments...we are the professionals and we need to stand up and be counted. The notion that you have to write a plethora of RAs to insulate the organisation is nonsense as well, these people will find fault if they so choose anyway.

David Thomas  
#29 Posted : 23 October 2016 21:47:48(UTC)
David Thomas

Another thread focusing on risk rating on a qualitative basis... why do we do it??? It's not required by law.... unless focused on real risk as akin to rolling a dice its something invented around 1992. In many cases you will find significant guidance as to what to do in industry guidance.... HSE are fortunately looking to change its approach to RA.....
David Thomas  
#30 Posted : 23 October 2016 21:49:52(UTC)
David Thomas

Originally Posted by: RayRapp Go to Quoted Post
This thread is another example of the time and effort spent producing RAs for the little gain they provide in terms of health and safety. Indeed, there are so many beneficial activities which get highlighted on these forums such as sports day, disco, walking trips, etc. None of these need a formal RA because as a rule they are low risk activities which are often not work-related anyway. A real shame RA processes have become not much more than a 'paper exercise'. In fact, when I recieve RAMS from contractors I seldom pay any attention to the RA because it's usually a generic load of tosh which is rarely followed anyway.
Ray, fully agree
Invictus  
#31 Posted : 24 October 2016 07:56:39(UTC)
Invictus

Is there a point to the matrix risk assessment when using numbers an example,

10X10 risk matrix,

Severity

1 No injury, 3 minor injury, 5 Lost time, 8 Severe, 10 Fatality

Likelihood

1 remote, 2 unlikely, 5 likely, 8 Very Likely, 10 Certain.

I asked why not make it a 5X5 matrix if that is what they want to use and was told we can't because it won't work. When I asked why I was told that if people see the numbers high then they will take more notice.

David Bannister  
#32 Posted : 24 October 2016 08:06:18(UTC)
David Bannister

10X10 risk matrix,

Severity

Likelihood

I asked why not make it a 5X5 matrix if that is what they want to use and was told we can't because it won't work. When I asked why I was told that if people see the numbers high then they will take more notice.

There is a kind of logic to that. A likely severe incident rated at "40" may be perceived as more a significant risk than the same one rated at "12" by those who will be tasked with implementing controls. It may be daft to safety professionals but to our colleagues who are less well-informed that method may be the approach that convinces them. The outcome of the risk assessment is the reason for performing the assessment and if one method of recording works in a particular workplace I will not knock it.

Invictus  
#33 Posted : 24 October 2016 08:14:26(UTC)
Invictus

Is that not an eduacation thing, because the numbers shouldn't matter it should be the control measures that matter and employees being educated in understanding the assessment.

I am not saying it doesn'e have a value but if you score things to high just to get the message across then again the function of the R/A is pointless.

Just reading some of the postings on here and I am one of them, who are the R/A's for are they for managers to cover backsides or are they for the users. If it is for the users then writing them for disco's sports days etc, are relevant so that participants no the control measures as well as the risks.

You could class them 'young users'

David Thomas  
#34 Posted : 24 October 2016 10:54:11(UTC)
David Thomas

There is a kind of logic to that. A likely severe incident rated at "40" may be perceived as more a significant risk than the same one rated at "12" by those who will be tasked with implementing controls. It may be daft to safety professionals but to our colleagues who are less well-informed that method may be the approach that convinces them. The outcome of the risk assessment is the reason for performing the assessment and if one method of recording works in a particular workplace I will not knock it.

This is why I avoid risk rating - takes up too much time in training - infact if you teach risak assessment remember to use include manual handling assessments, coshh assessments, Fire risk assessmnents, First aid or needs assessment, working at height assessments, DSE assessments, all of whom use risk rating in a matrix .. dont they?

Invictus  
#35 Posted : 24 October 2016 11:19:07(UTC)
Invictus

I don't use a matrix system for all assessments, I don't on fire, COSHH, Manual Handling, DSE, First Aid and some others.

chris.packham  
#36 Posted : 24 October 2016 11:48:37(UTC)
chris.packham

Perhaps it would be helpful to define what we mean by a risk assessment in the first place. I like the EU-OSHA definition: “A risk assessment is nothing more than a careful examination of what, in your work, could cause harm to people, so that you can weigh up whether you have taken enough precautions or should do more to prevent harm.” Taken from: “Good Practice Information provided by EU-OSHA”, September 2009. When tackling risk assessments in my particular field (no cycling but chemical exposure of the skin) I always try to keep this simple definition in mind. Chris
RayRapp  
#37 Posted : 24 October 2016 12:16:59(UTC)
RayRapp

Originally Posted by: David Bannister Go to Quoted Post

10X10 risk matrix,

Severity

Likelihood

David, I can see some logic in scoring system, however many corporate clients insist that all RAs must be done in a 5x5 matrix. Another example of the tail wagging the dog.
Bazzer  
#38 Posted : 24 October 2016 14:13:42(UTC)
Bazzer

I use the 5x5 matrix; the risk rating is really only to determine priorities or action, and so don't get hung up on it

Zyggy  
#39 Posted : 24 October 2016 14:36:22(UTC)
Zyggy

When my first youngster was born, somebody "helpfully" bought us a "Baby Book" listing all manner of ailments & their potential consequences. If you looked up "sniffle", you were given a list of likely outcomes, which included "Death" & for some reason, your eyes were always drawn to this!

Fast forward a number of years to my career in H&S & nothing appears to have changed. I carried out some work for an organisation providing football in the community as a means of keeping kids off the streets & their Risk Matrix using numbers, concluded that the most likely outcome was "Death"!

When I pointed this out, the response was that of course that wasn't what was meant, so the figures would be altered!

I accept that in some industries a numerical Risk Matrix may be useful, indeed necessary, but I find it much easier to stick to the HSE's guidance & keep it simple.

ian7675  
#40 Posted : 24 October 2016 21:21:03(UTC)
ian7675

Personally I do not use a numbered system in my risk assessments but a "low, medium, high" system. As previously discussed I believe the most important part is to identify the appropriate control measures. I'm sure this may vary within different industries but I find our clients and within our company are mostly concerned with how we control the hazards and that's the only part of the RA that they pay attention to.

Ron Hunter  
#41 Posted : 25 October 2016 16:09:33(UTC)
Ron Hunter

Ensure sanity by sticking with the most statistically likely outcome. Avoid scoring matrix if you can, otherwise restrict its use to prioritising outstanding actions by the employer. Also consider giving priority to hazards and controls affecting higher populations.