Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ottercops  
#1 Posted : 06 June 2017 11:52:58(UTC)
ottercops

Hi All,

Little bit of background.....I have been invloved in some shape or form in H&S for 10yrs , 6 years ago I decided to go for my qualifications and make this my career.

I had a fantastic job in H&S which expanded to cover Auditing, Environmental, Training and Wellbeing, unfortunatly after 5 years in this role we were all made redundant, I was lucky enough to obtain another job with in a few weeks but as a H&S assisstant and I really stuggle with not 'doing' the role, I have been searching for new jobs for the last 9months but struggle to get an interview?. Any advise will be appreciated.

I have the following qualification and compedent in them:

H&S diploma

BTEC MH Training the trainer

Train the trainer Evacuation chair

DSE assessor / trainer/rehabilitation

Environmental auditing

Train the trainer AED

Mental Health First Aid

First Aid

I have working on litigation cases and implimented inititves that even N.I.C.E contacted me and used.

Please help a despreatly seaking professinal get back in the game of doing not assisting.

Thank you

Mr.Flibble2.0  
#2 Posted : 06 June 2017 12:40:15(UTC)
Mr.Flibble2.0

Afternoon Otter

What location are you looking for and what industry having you been working in?

Spacedinvader  
#3 Posted : 07 June 2017 08:32:33(UTC)
Spacedinvader

What you are lookin for is advice, not advise.  And incorrect spelling of competent is just comical.

lorna  
#4 Posted : 07 June 2017 09:31:37(UTC)
lorna

After a tough time job hunting myself (now in job I really enjoy), I'd advise you to work out which industries /areas you would fit best, & more importantly, where you wouldn't. Tailor your CV to appeal to your audience and hunt in places they would go... e.g. the company website. 

Dare I say it, phone some of the well-known agencies with wide client bases & ask - which jobs would they put you forward for & which would they suggest you don't apply for. You can decide later if you want to register - but take their promises with a hefty pinch of salt!

I started off in Environmental Health so there is no point in me looking or applying for vacancies in construction or manufacturing. In my experience, the scatter gun approach does not work.

thanks 1 user thanked lorna for this useful post.
jodieclark1510 on 07/06/2017(UTC)
Mr.Flibble2.0  
#5 Posted : 07 June 2017 11:35:22(UTC)
Mr.Flibble2.0

Originally Posted by: Spacedinvader Go to Quoted Post

What you are lookin for is advice, not advise.  And incorrect spelling of competent is just comical.

Well aren't you just a special little cookie. Helpful stuff there, well done.

thanks 3 users thanked Mr.Flibble2.0 for this useful post.
RayRapp on 07/06/2017(UTC), Martin Fieldingt on 12/06/2017(UTC), lwthesm on 12/06/2017(UTC)
peter gotch  
#6 Posted : 07 June 2017 11:53:59(UTC)
peter gotch

Spacedinvader

You don't know why the OP has put in some typos - could be dyslexic for all you know.

Typos in a posting on social media doesn't necessarily reflect what they get to prospective employer.

So, if you can't be constructive or supportive, perhaps you could simply bow out.

thanks 6 users thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
jodieclark1510 on 07/06/2017(UTC), freelance safety on 07/06/2017(UTC), PeterP on 07/06/2017(UTC), RayRapp on 07/06/2017(UTC), Martin Fieldingt on 12/06/2017(UTC), lwthesm on 12/06/2017(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09  
#7 Posted : 07 June 2017 15:55:23(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

Whilst I appreciate that perhaps Spaceinvader might have been a little more subtle in his response, maybe he does just have a point nevertheless ? 

The original poster states that he has struggled to get interviews and asks for advice.  Sadly, and whether we agree with it or not, people seeking work are still initially judged and screened by their application letters and/or application forms (and arguably more so when accuracy and attention to detail is required which is undoubtedly a prerequisite in the field of Health and Safety).  In the case of the original poster, there were a total of 8 spelling mistakes and a few grammaticial errors in his posting.  Please take this in the manner intended - I'm neither being judgemental, nor defending Spaceinvader - but maybe errors such as these when applying for positions could be the reason why the OP isn't getting interviews (and why the "advice" given may possibly be relevant after all) ? 

I'm now donning a tin hat and retiring to a safe place !  :-)   

Elfin Davy 09  
#8 Posted : 07 June 2017 16:05:11(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

...and just before I'm taken to task on it, I've have noticed that "grammaticial" should have read  grammatical ! 

DOH !!  :-)

WatsonD  
#9 Posted : 08 June 2017 07:19:35(UTC)
WatsonD

Picking someone up on their grammar and spelling whilst misspelling the word looking... humiliating.

thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
mark frearson on 20/06/2017(UTC)
cres  
#10 Posted : 09 June 2017 08:05:26(UTC)
cres

Hi,

Before anyone shouts I cannot spell I am Dyslexic, so if I miss spell my appologies but I cant be bothered to proof read this. 

I have found getting roles fairly painless but always I do the following:

Tailor your CV to each and every role you are applying for. Im not saying for you to put any thing other than the truth but look at the role and what they are looking for and make sure your those elements are given a little more priority so when they compare your CV to their criteria list they can just tick them off their list. They will just be scanning through your CV to check for whats important to them. Also make sure any employment gaps have a explination why.

Make sure the covering letter is again tailored to the role and get across passsion for their company and role and try to show a little of your personality. If you are a little quirky dont be afraid to show it a little but dont go overboard. 

Also call up an couple of good agencys and sell yourself get your CV over to them be really personable and get them on your side. I still tweak my CV for each role they put me up for, they dont mind as long as it is still an honest reflection of your skills.  

If ever I cant be bothered to tailor my applications and just fire off a standard CV and letter I never hear anything you need to stand out from the crowd. 

Lastly only go for roles you know you have the skills to do and can do well, then belive in yourself and go for it. Go to your interveiw showing passion for their comapny and role and why you will slot right in. I adapt my personna a little according to the interviewers, some interviews are very formal , some more relaxed and freindly so adapt on the day and make sure you have revised over all the requirements and you know your stuff but be honest, companys like to know you will be strait with them. I got one role because I admitted I didnt have a clue about ADR Regulations so at my 2nd interview I had to do a presentation on ADR Regulations, where I proved my skill at fact finding and getting to know what I needed to in a short time frame. 

If you cant spell get everything proof read before you hit send. I always tell my empoloyer at interview when they ask me what my stenghts and weaknesses are I always explain I have my ways of coping and do not allow it to affect my job and it has never stopped me getting a role. 

Good Luck :) 

thanks 2 users thanked cres for this useful post.
jodieclark1510 on 09/06/2017(UTC), Elfin Davy 09 on 09/06/2017(UTC)
Stuart Smiles  
#11 Posted : 09 June 2017 11:57:03(UTC)
Stuart Smiles

I have some resources I have put together over time, some of which I would hope are useful.

I will pm you, if you email me I will forward a link to dropbox.

There is a book called "great answers to tough interview questions" by martin john yate - currently in 9th edition, and also what colour is my parachute - there is a main book and a "workbook" each year there is a new edition. 

If you are an reader, I would advocate reading - excercise 1 from great answers... is as follows:,

I would suggest a list of 10 things you have done 6-7 work 3-4 home related

what did you do,

how would you do again,

challenges, successes, change  what anger/successes did you have etc

these then can become your competency examples for cv highlights and interviews.

aparently its called star in interview circles - situation, task, action, results 

practicing examples, presentations etc is key to smooth delivery and looking at different angles of where you added value with 5 whys. 

within those books, and another, "build your own rainbow" by barrie hopson are tools, structures and ways to help articulate - to self as well as others, what you want and a path to getting it. 

In addition, for assisance, National Careers Service offer help to people, and the assistance offered seems very good. their main number is 0800 100900, nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk and facebook/nationalcareersservice 

I hope you get to where you want, over time, and that you can see a progression for what you want to spend time doing. 

i would however say it's better to look for the right thing that spend time doing wrong thing and hating it.

look for the right team that you want to be associated with, and also people you want to work with, as you have to spend lots of time with them. 

Finally, if you ask at current employer ref opportunities coming up, they may find they have requirements that they hadn't discussed or identified yet that could progress into what you are looking for.  I would hope that they would try to accomodate a path for you, however if not, then at least it assists in your future planning processes. 

speak to manager and hr people as they talk to each other, and a reference at some point is going to be needed- what it says is down to how they find you and so it's worthwhile developing your network through iosh and other organisations, as the best jobs are through a phone call/referal, once already part of the team rather than an advert. 

ottercops  
#12 Posted : 12 June 2017 11:04:05(UTC)
ottercops

Thank you for all your comments I really do appreciate them - with regards to spelling I do except that bad grammer and spelling is off putting in C.V / job application and can assure you that my work is always checked prior......now Im not saying you guys are less "special" but I just normally come on here and quickly post ...my bad :( 

JohnW  
#13 Posted : 13 June 2017 15:13:13(UTC)
JohnW

Except should be accept. :0) Good luck with your job search.
mark frearson  
#14 Posted : 20 June 2017 15:30:57(UTC)
mark frearson

And, of course, checking your own spelling before mocking others...