Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Antstubbs  
#1 Posted : 19 June 2017 12:12:28(UTC)
Antstubbs

Afternoon all,

I have been asked what signage is required for a hot water tap (the type that produces boiling water) that will be plumbed in as part of a display kitchen at one of our retail showrooms (where members of the public will have access to the tap). My first thought was the normal yellow and black warning sign, however due to marketing they have asked if they could use an alternative that is not yellow or black? I have checked numerous guides/websites and can't seem to find any answers.

Kind regards

Ant

Edited by user 19 June 2017 12:13:23(UTC)  | Reason: Unsure if the image was available

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 19 June 2017 12:25:09(UTC)
Roundtuit

The yellow/black is a standard sign traceable with ISO/EN/BSI and meant to be internationally recognisable

They are common to promote understanding so using a non-standard to suit "marketing" kind of defeats the purpose - if they did not like traffic lights would you let them have five horizontal bubs ranging from indigo through puce?

I appreciate this type of tap normally has a safety feature built in to prevent children obtaining boiling water but given these little darlings will likely be there with mum and dad is it wise to have functioning model in showroom and so easily accessible you feel the need to apply a warning sign?

IF I were designing the showroom a functioning tap would be behind a perspex lockable door only open during supervised demonstration

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 19 June 2017 12:25:09(UTC)
Roundtuit

The yellow/black is a standard sign traceable with ISO/EN/BSI and meant to be internationally recognisable

They are common to promote understanding so using a non-standard to suit "marketing" kind of defeats the purpose - if they did not like traffic lights would you let them have five horizontal bubs ranging from indigo through puce?

I appreciate this type of tap normally has a safety feature built in to prevent children obtaining boiling water but given these little darlings will likely be there with mum and dad is it wise to have functioning model in showroom and so easily accessible you feel the need to apply a warning sign?

IF I were designing the showroom a functioning tap would be behind a perspex lockable door only open during supervised demonstration

gerrysharpe  
#4 Posted : 25 June 2017 09:14:54(UTC)
gerrysharpe

I would rather the power to the Tap was switched of and only made operation during a supervised demonstration. People will still get burnt and then blame the company for not having someone supervising. 

You could have set hours in the Day where you have a "Live Demonstration", or you could book customers in for a Private Demo. I'm sure boiling water is the same whether it comes out a tap or a kettle, why people would want to see it live beats me. 

Hsquared14  
#5 Posted : 26 June 2017 14:13:23(UTC)
Hsquared14

I agree that you should only have the item powered when actually demonstrating it to customers and ensure it is switched off as soon as the demo is finished (don't want children to wander off from parents and try it out themselves).  The signs though need to be the standard yellow and black.  Marketing are going to have to lump it and like it, the signs aren't meant to look pretty or fit in with your decor, they have to give a warning.   I can though understand people wanting a demo of those taps, I went to an office block where they used them and it took me several attempts to get them to work correctly because on some of them there is a definite knack.