Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.



Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : 12 January 2018 15:03:31(UTC)
Rank: Forum user

I currently work for a facilities management company. We are forever having issues with members of the public slipping etc in some of the buildings we run. We have also had numerous slip testing reports carried out in each building all differing to some extent. We are looking to bring the slip testing function in house to provide better flexibility and more consistency to the results along with allowing us to proactively monitor our surfaces. 

Can anyone advise me in what equipment is good or bad. I am looking at a few different suppliers of Pendulum Slip Testers. Or if anyone knows of one going 2nd hand as they seem to be like gold dust. 

Thanks in advance. 

Brian Campbell  
#2 Posted : 12 January 2018 18:05:25(UTC)
Rank: Forum user
Brian Campbell

A common problem with the Public, we are forever monitoring our floors at the Arena I work at.  However we use Queens University who come in every year a do a full report on I think 32 different areas with the pendulum test.  Your problem is though if you're bringing in house then your not ultilising an independant consultant who has the expertise and knowledge in a given field, also its on their liability to certain extent.  If you have public in your premises I would also imagine your insurers would prefer an independant analysis for monitoring floors!


#3 Posted : 16 January 2018 09:57:56(UTC)
Rank: New forum user

We were also considering purchasing a pendulum tester to do some inhouse tesing of our non-slip timber decking products as it can be expensive to send products off to be tested, especially if they are still in the developmental stage and may require more testing before they are lauched as a product. I know you can undergo training to operate the devices and be certified to do so, I would probably discuss the matter with your insurer and see if they are happy to back you should a claim arrise if you have a qualified person to test in house.

If you do go down the route of buying one, I would be interested to know how you get on with it.

Best of luck

Users browsing this topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.