Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
O'Donnell54548  
#41 Posted : 14 December 2018 10:14:29(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Originally Posted by: WatsonD Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: O'Donnell54548 Go to Quoted Post

Do I dispair at the mean, selfish, dis-honest, unscrupled, lazy, entitled, rude, insular and cruel society we have become? YES

You make some good point but I'd love to know when this golden age in our History was that society had none of these elements.

Earlier generations looked to bequeath a better world to their children, can we honestly say that we have done the same.

Look back at our history, the tolpuddle martyrs, the formation of trade unions, the sacrifice of those who fought, and died, in two world wars. The introduction of a fairer society after the 2nd World War where our politicians set forth a strategy of education, decent housing, health care free at the point of delivery, a safety net for the disadvantaged and poor of our population and a committment to meaningful employment.  

A society which cared about each other, respected the law, looked at the common good rather than a me, me, me, me attitude. A society that when someone, anyone, was in trouble they went to their assistance, rather than filmed them on their phone.

A society that believed that they got what they earned, not what they where entitled to by right not matter what if they made no contribution.  

A society that cared for their elderly, and did not think  this was the states responsibility.

A far from perfect world, but one in which everyone thought it was their duty to do what they could to improve it, so that what was wrong would be fixed before they handed it to the next generation.

WatsonD  
#42 Posted : 14 December 2018 12:09:51(UTC)
WatsonD

It seems like rose tinted glasses O'Donnell. A nice little hark back to an ideal time which has only ever existed in peoples imagination. 

Was this the same time as when pedophiles ran the church, youth clubs, etc. with impunity because children were ignored, or when Racism and homophobia was institutionalised? A time when someone could be locked up for being Gay, or treated with contempt and hatred because of the colour of their skin. When those with learning disabilities were dimissed as stupid, and those men that returned from the war with mental health issues were taught to 'man up' and get on with it

Or perhaps earlier when slavery was legal and workhouses were where we sent the less fortunate?

No it is not perfect now and wasn't in any time ever before, but I believe my two daughters have more chance of growing up as equals to men and unlike any other time in History getting a well paid career where they will not have to tolerate sexual harrassment. And society will support them should they fall on hard times.

Lets not kid oursleves that we found Utopia and lost it. Deferent generations different issues.

O'Donnell54548  
#43 Posted : 14 December 2018 13:04:03(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

It seems like rose tinted glasses O'Donnell. A nice little hark back to an ideal time which has only ever existed in peoples imagination. 

Was this the same time as when pedophiles ran the church, youth clubs, etc. with impunity because children were ignored, or when Racism and homophobia was institutionalised? A time when someone could be locked up for being Gay, or treated with contempt and hatred because of the colour of their skin. When those with learning disabilities were dimissed as stupid, and those men that returned from the war with mental health issues were taught to 'man up' and get on with it

Or perhaps earlier when slavery was legal and workhouses were where we sent the less fortunate?

No it is not perfect now and wasn't in any time ever before, but I believe my two daughters have more chance of growing up as equals to men and unlike any other time in History getting a well paid career where they will not have to tolerate sexual harrassment. And society will support them should they fall on hard times.

Lets not kid oursleves that we found Utopia and lost it. Deferent generations different issues.

No Watson, I am talking about previous generations, like my parents, who fought and sacrificed to address and correct the wrongs of pedophiles who ran the church,  the curse of racism and homophobia, who demanded equality and support for those with  learning disabilities and those men and women that returned from the war with mental health issues.

I am talking about our grandparents and great grandparents who, in the face of fierce opposition, brought an end to slavery and closed down the workhouses. It is because of these previous generations that your daughters can grow up equal and able to fulfill their full potential. 

But at least they know that people like you have not forgotten their struggles and their sacrifices, and are grateful for every small, painful step they made so that we could be free to disagree. Or perhaps it was all "in their imagination".   

Elfin Davy 09  
#44 Posted : 14 December 2018 16:02:50(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

"Every generation blames the one before" (Mike and the Mechanics - The Living Years)

You both have a point - yes, in terms of equality etc, things have never been so good (and some might even argue that in terms of "human rights", we've actually gone too far), but in terms of society in general, I think that we have gone backwards when it comes to respect and common decency.

Knife crimes, gun crimes and yes, scooter muggings are going off the scale upwards and the (under-resourced) Police simply can't cope.  People seem to think they have a right to say what they like, and get away with it (under the cloak of internet anonymity of course, most wouldn't dare say it to anyone's face... in case they offended them !)

But I digress....

Messey  
#45 Posted : 14 December 2018 18:31:22(UTC)
Messey

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

When there is a building fire the first thing that the officer in charge asks is “is there anybody in the building?” if not,  then all the brigade  try do, is  to prevent fire from spreading  but nobody expects them to go into the building to fight the fire at its centre or to try to save stock etc. That is a form of risk assessment.

I apologise about going slightly off topic, but I must take issue with this example of a fire service dynamic risk assessment outcome. It is totally not true. The fire service will and do on a daily basis, enter known unoccupied (ie where nobody is belived trapped) buildings to fight fires. The whole concept of a fire service DRA is much more complicated than a simple than a 2 box flow chart!

A fire service DRA will of course take into account whther persons are reported trapped or missing - and its very very rare an entry into a premises would not be made in such circumstances, unless life is untenable within that building. For all other cases, there's a whole raft of circumstances to be taken into account that I wont go into now. 

johnmurray  
#46 Posted : 15 December 2018 15:22:03(UTC)
johnmurray

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

Of course risk assessment is intended for the Blue Light services. When there is a building fire the first thing that the officer in charge asks is “is there anybody in the building?” if not,  then all the brigade  try do, is  to prevent fire from spreading  but nobody expects them to go into the building to fight the fire at its centre or to try to save stock etc. That is a form of risk assessment.

Actions like this method of apprehending suspects (note theses are suspects of a crime not just random teenagers) must be justifiable in court. I said we should not speculate on what the police are doing but my guess would be something like:

1. The individual is a clear suspect in a serious moped based offence.
  2. They have been given an opportunity to surrender to the police but instead decide to try to escape on the moped
  3. The police can chase them without placing anybody else at  unnecessary risk during the pursuit
  4. If they are not stopped immediately they will get away to commit further crimes

If the answer is yes to all of these then the police will be authorised to carry out a hard stop on the individual. If the police cannot justify the process then they are guilty of a crime such as GBH or (if the person dies) manslaughter.    

Every pursuit has to be authorised, and if there is danger to the public then it will be called off.

If the police deliberately cause an accident, the officer driving is highly likely to be suspended while the event is investigated. If someone dies, then he/she will definitely be suspended.

In the event of the vehicle crashed-into hitting a bystander, the same applies and a prosecution for that event is almost certain.

Most officers won't do it.

achrn  
#47 Posted : 17 December 2018 09:06:07(UTC)
achrn

Should the police use a 4,118lbs (average) vehicle to knock a 'suspect' off a moving motor cycle? NO.

If that's the course of action which, on a balance of probabilities, minimises risk to members of the general public, yes.

Would carrying out a 'suitable & sufficient' risk assessment make this acceptable? NO

See above.

Having knocked said motorcyclist off, the police in question should then be accountable for their action - they should provide an account and justification for why it was appropriate.  It's not appropriate that a street mugger should be given a 'get away scot free' card simply by hopping on a scooter without a helmet, but neither should the police charged with apprehending them  have a guaranteed indemnity from all consequences should they choose to drive into a scooter-rider.  Apart from anything elese, I don't want police ramming innocent scooter-riders who happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and match the description of a suspect.

Both mugger and police need to consider the consequences of their actions, to my mind.

Elfin Davy 09  
#48 Posted : 17 December 2018 09:14:36(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

I don't think hemet-wearing, law abiding scooter riders who aren't riding like lunatics trying to evade capture by the Police have anything to worry about (..and if the suspects aren't wearing helmets, those law abiding helmet-wearing scooterists (is scooterist a word ?) wouldn't match their description anyway.  :-)

Oxford  
#49 Posted : 17 December 2018 09:15:06(UTC)
Oxford

We should also be aware that it's not every MetPol office who is authrorised to do this - it's only specially trained and authorised officers who can undertake this activity

biker1  
#50 Posted : 17 December 2018 09:30:41(UTC)
biker1

Forgive me for coming into this debate late, but the answer to the original posters question appears quite obvious.

Should the police use a 4,118lbs (average) vehicle to knock a 'suspect' off a moving motor cycle? NO.

Would carrying out a 'suitable & sufficient' risk assessment make this acceptable? NO

Is the assumption the 'suspect' is a toe-rag who deserves to have the fear of god put into them a justifiable reason to do this? NO

Is the mantra "if you don't do the crime, you don't take the risk of being killed" sufficeint justification? NO

Is putting suspects in hospital an acceptable 'crime prevention' strategy? NO 

Am I a frothing at the mouth citizen that thinks that youngster today need a good clip round the ear, and hanging for anything more serious than 'scrumping'? NO

Am I a bleeding heart liberal? NO

Do I dispair at the mean, selfish, dis-honest, unscrupled, lazy, entitled, rude, insular and cruel society we have become? YES

I'd love to hear what your suggestions are for an alternative strategy, and then we can consider them.
achrn  
#51 Posted : 17 December 2018 12:14:36(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: Elfin Davy 09 Go to Quoted Post

I don't think hemet-wearing, law abiding scooter riders who aren't riding like lunatics trying to evade capture by the Police have anything to worry about (..and if the suspects aren't wearing helmets, those law abiding helmet-wearing scooterists (is scooterist a word ?) wouldn't match their description anyway.  :-)

Long ago a friend of mine was stopped while cycling by a Met constable in a police vehicle.  Said police was adamant my friend was cycling illegally and dangerously and needed a sound rebuking.  Sadly for said police, my friend was a Met sergeant, and didn't declare such until constable had dug himself quite a deep hole.

I have less confidence than you that every police will necesarily make an infallible assesment of what constitutes dangerous and illegal riding, nor that they will necesarily always have a valid basis for a stop.  So I stand by my assertion that I want police to be held accountable for each and every stop, and don't want simply to rely on the assertion that the law-abiding have nothing to fear because they won't be stopped.

Elfin Davy 09  
#52 Posted : 17 December 2018 13:52:11(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

Or alternatively, what if your friend WAS cycling illegally and dangerously and used their position to get away with it ? 

Probably only they know the truth  :-)

WatsonD  
#53 Posted : 20 December 2018 09:07:01(UTC)
WatsonD

But at least they know that people like you have not forgotten their struggles and their sacrifices, and are grateful for every small, painful step they made so that we could be free to disagree. Or perhaps it was all "in their imagination".  

My comments were in response to the declinism evident in your post which seems to seep in to these discussion threads, almost like another version of Godwins Law and as such ending any hope of debate.

Society is in decline. This generation is the cause. End of discussion.

I did not point to your Parents, Grandparents or indeed Great Grandparents, whose stories I do not know. I am sure you are proud of their courage and activism to stand up to these wrongdoers as is evident in you last post. And I am sure I would too thank them for their contribution to society and the lives saved as a result of their courage and endeavours were I to know more about them as individuals.

However, the efforts of those brave few - along with some of your ancestors - were to fight against the wrongs in their society. So my question "When was the golden age when society had none of these -mean, selfish, dis-honest, unscrupled, lazy, entitled, rude, insular and cruel- elements?" - still stands. Perhaps you feel that people were more inclined to support each other and stand up for what they believed in (and maybe rightly so, at least the circles your ancestors moved within) but if society was perfect then, they wouldn't have ever needed to do so.

However, I'm sure you Great Grandparents despaired of your Grandparents generation, and  in turn your Grandparents felt the same about your parents generation. I would also hazard a guess that your parents felt the same about your generation. Its natural. But it is not constructive and has no place in debate.

Apologies as you seem to have taken this a personal attack. Certainly your comments which I have highlighted above suggest "people like me." Not sure what that is supposed to mean, but I'll leave it there. You are of a better society and I'm sure you would not stoop so low as to be " mean, rude, insular or cruel"

Clark34486  
#54 Posted : 20 December 2018 10:34:15(UTC)
Clark34486

You make some good point but I'd love to know when this golden age in our History was that society had none of these elements.

Earlier generations looked to bequeath a better world to their children, can we honestly say that we have done the same.

Look back at our history, the tolpuddle martyrs, the formation of trade unions, the sacrifice of those who fought, and died, in two world wars. The introduction of a fairer society after the 2nd World War where our politicians set forth a strategy of education, decent housing, health care free at the point of delivery, a safety net for the disadvantaged and poor of our population and a committment to meaningful employment.  

A society which cared about each other, respected the law, looked at the common good rather than a me, me, me, me attitude. A society that when someone, anyone, was in trouble they went to their assistance, rather than filmed them on their phone.

A society that believed that they got what they earned, not what they where entitled to by right not matter what if they made no contribution.  

A society that cared for their elderly, and did not think  this was the states responsibility.

A far from perfect world, but one in which everyone thought it was their duty to do what they could to improve it, so that what was wrong would be fixed before they handed it to the next generation.

That society never existed
thanks 1 user thanked Clark34486 for this useful post.
WatsonD on 20/12/2018(UTC)