Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jason90212992  
#41 Posted : 10 July 2020 08:19:26(UTC)
Jason90212992

Forum Name: jason90212992= Boon Chye Oh (Singapore)

Network is power and likewise for Forum. This allow members to pose question and tap into the expertise of our members. The challenges will be locating the right forum page with timely sharing of information. We have many fourm subject, forum pages and not in alphabetical order! 

For more user friendly, we may wish to break down into Main Subject Heading/ Sub heading? (Construction-residential, school, road works, etc) ; (Process Industry- oil& gas); (Design for Safety, CDM); (IOSH Feedback); etc and in alphabetical order with history/ date.  

Forum is a LIVE library and need to be managed on timely manner to beneift members.  

thanks 1 user thanked Jason90212992 for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 10/07/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#42 Posted : 10 July 2020 11:51:07(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Jason90212992 Go to Quoted Post
This allow members to pose question and tap into the expertise of our members.

The public forums are open to anyone who signs up agreeing to follow the forum rules - moderators listed as removing inappropriate posts.

iosh membership grants access to the member only forums.

The general public may not find it easy to place a post in a set of categories to permit easy classification and filing - the current pandemic has seen many posts from non-professionals seeking guidance and clarification

Roundtuit  
#43 Posted : 10 July 2020 11:51:07(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Jason90212992 Go to Quoted Post
This allow members to pose question and tap into the expertise of our members.

The public forums are open to anyone who signs up agreeing to follow the forum rules - moderators listed as removing inappropriate posts.

iosh membership grants access to the member only forums.

The general public may not find it easy to place a post in a set of categories to permit easy classification and filing - the current pandemic has seen many posts from non-professionals seeking guidance and clarification

peter gotch  
#44 Posted : 10 July 2020 12:24:14(UTC)
peter gotch

I think that there are many ways in which these Forums could be enhanced.

My no 1 would be a much more user friendly search facility, so that e.g. if looking for a  posting by a specific member one does not need their precise details, so that as example you could look for "peter "or "gotch" rather than needing to look for "peter gotch" AND know whether I have decided to put a full stop or underline between my names.

But in terms of search, even more helpful would be for the search to include within the text within postings rather than just titles. This is not rocket science.

A quite large number of threads ask questions about topics that have been discussed before, often many times. So a modern search facility would save users time.

Keith - any idea of when the outcome of your project is likely to be published?

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
RVThompson on 10/07/2020(UTC)
Ian Bell2  
#45 Posted : 10 July 2020 13:14:39(UTC)
Ian Bell2

I agree with Peter. The format of this forum is so dated.

It would be better, when replying to a specific previous comment, if the answer appeared directly below the comment being responded to - not right at the end of the discussion, so that you have to mention which specific comment is being replied to by adding #3 or whatever the comment number is.

Just look at any news media comments section, how its done.

CptBeaky  
#46 Posted : 15 July 2020 07:52:04(UTC)
CptBeaky

I would like the "thanks" button to be more useful. Maybe also "agree"/"respectfully disagree" withis advice buttons.

Normally I am thanking posts because I am agreeing with the advice given.

Kate  
#47 Posted : 15 July 2020 11:33:18(UTC)
Kate

I thank posters for a variety of reasons.

Because they have given good advice.

Because they have told me something I didn't know.

Because they have a contributed a considered opinion even if I disagree with it.

Because they said something funny.

David Manson  
#48 Posted : 16 July 2020 15:45:25(UTC)
David Manson

Yes, yes and yes.

I get intelligent responses and learn also from other peples' posts.