Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AlB  
#1 Posted : 08 August 2017 13:57:58(UTC)
AlB

Hi all, 

I work for a contract electronic manufacturer and my understanding is that much of the WEEE regulations do not apply to us. We produce printed circuit boards and produce waste from this; cables / wires, occassionally components, PCB breakouts (PCB is broken out of a larger fram which is then binned). Am i correct in assuming that all i have mentioned is WEEE waste? I am finding it difficult to ascertain whether the breakout portion of the printed circuit board is classed as WEEE waste since it is not populated and does not have "tracks" on that part of the material. 

chris42  
#2 Posted : 09 August 2017 11:32:30(UTC)
chris42

I would have thought thy do apply to you and your end product. Components I understand are WEEE waste. The plain board possibly not if no components or copper track. Get the Safety data sheet for the plain board and look at section 13 . it should tell you the EWC code for the substance, if it has an asterisk after it, it is hazardous ( but look the number up to be sure as sometimes it is missed) if not hazardous then not likely to be WEEE. If it is hazardous then needs a consignment note not a transfer note.

My understanding is that anything with a circuit board / electrical components is WEEE waste including your computer mouse for instance. If in doubt ask your waste contractor their opinion.

I admit not to sure about cables and wire again, find the EWC code ( European Waste Catalogue).