Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
howieuk1878  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2018 07:49:27(UTC)
howieuk1878

Hi all, We recently introduced bump caps as mandatory PPE in operational areas following carrying out a risk assessment and reviewing accident trend data. We were having in excessive of 20 head injuries a year (some of which were lost time) and since the introduction (4 months) we have not had any. We explored other options and avenues as you would expect but we settled on bump caps as the final decision. 

We have a large workforce and im happy to say the vast majority have instantly bought into the new introduction with very little kickback. 

unfortunately i have found 3 rather unique scenarios which I am hoping somebody here has come across and could help with. 

1) Individuals head too large

2) Individuals head too small

3) Individual has a medical condition (alopecia)  which they claim is being aggrovated by the increased head heat. 

The answer to all of these so far (on advice from our supplier) is simply to trial other units, like when you buy a shirt and in one shop its a snug fit somewhere else its loose. 

Thus far this has been unsucessful and we have exhausted alot of these options. I am now at the point were it has to be something custom made or we need to look at their respective roles. 

I have googled but cannot find a supplier who can custom make bump caps. anybody have any suppliers or experience which they can share?

Thanks in advance

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2018 08:20:08(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Alopecia is not a medical condition. It is just the medical term for baldness. The most common cause of baldness in men is a side effect of male hormone production and the only cure is castration.  You need to talk to your OH provider to see if that treatment is available. There are other medical causes including side effects t of certain drugs, various infections (including mites) and damage to hair due to excess hair treatments. I am not sure if there is any evidence wearing a bump cap can cause overheating. What does he wanted; one with built in cooling system or does he just not want to wear the hat?

Ask for a letter from his doctor explaining why he needs this special cap.

howieuk1878  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2018 08:38:35(UTC)
howieuk1878

Thanks for the response. I stand corrected however this is a senstative issue as the person in question is female not male (castration is out of the question). 

The individual was reffered to our occupational health department who advised the bump cap was exacerbating the condition hence why i am exploring various options. 

I think in this case it was a question of breathability but we have provided various  options from side vents, to top of the head vents etc. 

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 11 April 2018 09:07:15(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Sorry about my previous response. Usually I have to deal with people making excuses for not wearing PPE or using safety equipment. Often they say they have a medical condition but when you challenge them they don’t.

The problem with what you’re looking for (and we have talked about this in relation to safety shoes recently) is that any PPE has to comply with the appropriate standards. For example this might only be slightly better than a standard cap but it complies with the standard- https://www.safetynetdir...9mAw9EAYYASABEgLkEPD_BwE

Look at http://forum.iosh.co.uk/posts/t124815-Getting-Safety-Shoes-made for a possible solution

howieuk1878  
#5 Posted : 11 April 2018 09:17:16(UTC)
howieuk1878

No problem, i appreciate the feedback. 

I think we all have the same issues no matter were we are, it's the old scenerio "I have a medical condition so I want Dr Martin boots". When we look into it further we find that 1) they dont have a medical condition at all and 2) the see the name or price tag and assume "they must be better than what im wearing", when in reality they are often not even close.

thunderchild  
#6 Posted : 11 April 2018 12:32:11(UTC)
thunderchild

For the too big / small issue could you not go down the route of  hard hat as these are adjustable inside? Could this also not help the lady as hard hats dose not sit flush on the head but only the webbing does giving more breathability???

I know they are probably above the protection you need but could be a solution????

howieuk1878  
#7 Posted : 11 April 2018 12:49:09(UTC)
howieuk1878

Thats certainly worth a try. while we are going through this process of testing various hats I can easily throw a hard hat in the mix and see what the feedback is like. 

Thanks. 

douglas.dick  
#8 Posted : 11 April 2018 12:49:41(UTC)
douglas.dick

I also specified bump caps in certain areas, where head knocks were prevalent. We use JSP Aerolite caps, the layers in it are designed to splay out and accomodate this issue. You may of course already have tried these.

I have to say that you forget you are wearing them and they dont sweat the head very much at all.

Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 11 April 2018 14:34:18(UTC)
Roundtuit

A bump cap offers different protection to a hard hat EN 812:2012 versus EN 397:2012

PPE needs to suit the risk

Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 11 April 2018 14:34:18(UTC)
Roundtuit

A bump cap offers different protection to a hard hat EN 812:2012 versus EN 397:2012

boigy77  
#11 Posted : 11 April 2018 14:56:30(UTC)
boigy77

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

When I started with my previous company they had a blanket 'hard hats must be worn' policy. Generally it was complied with, but scenarios with little risk we were finding people not wearing them. Our solution was to introduce bump caps, with clear guidance when hard hats had to be worn and when bump caps had to be worn. Probably due to being a different starting point from the op, but it was a popular change.

Hsquared14  
#12 Posted : 12 April 2018 12:08:03(UTC)
Hsquared14

Originally Posted by: douglas.dick Go to Quoted Post

I also specified bump caps in certain areas, where head knocks were prevalent. We use JSP Aerolite caps, the layers in it are designed to splay out and accomodate this issue. You may of course already have tried these.

I have to say that you forget you are wearing them and they dont sweat the head very much at all.

I was going to suggest these as well because they have a good size range and are fairly comfortable to wear.  JSP also do a range of larger sizes in hard hats.  Re the lady with alopecia - I have come across this before but it was wearing a hard hat that caused the issue and guess what a bump cap was the solution!  Unfortunately head heat and mechanical pressure caused by both hard hats and bump caps can exacerbate hair loss and it can be a tricky subject to deal with especially for women.  Would it really be so dreadful and undermining of your safety programme to give her a dispensation at least for the time being?  In situations like this I always put myself in the other person's shoes and consider how I would like to be treated before I made a final decision.