Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JL  
#1 Posted : 07 May 2018 19:44:53(UTC)
JL

Should a company health and safety policy have a particular section that is neither relevant nor up to date (such as referring to CDM 2007 rather than CDM 2015) does this void the entire H&S policy or just that particular section in the arrangements, which leads me asking how often would the H&S policy be bought up for scrutiny in the courts (rather than the specific written safe systems of work)

Ian Bell2  
#2 Posted : 07 May 2018 19:49:30(UTC)
Ian Bell2

I think a Court would presecute a particular accident cause, lack of a safe system of work, for example and then take into account that h&s management is likely to be poor, citing an out of date policy etc. Rather than prosecute for an out of date policy. The legal requirment is to have a h&s policy, not how good it is.

Tobias.Ford  
#3 Posted : 08 May 2018 05:30:59(UTC)
Tobias.Ford

Is the policy, simply referncing a superceeded document?  That seems like it would be relatively minor, in the scheme of things and an easy thing to 'update'?

Kate  
#4 Posted : 08 May 2018 06:41:25(UTC)
Kate

I agree with Ian.  A poor or out of date H&S policy may be a sign that H&S management is poor or that no one cares, but isn't itself void or a breach of legislation.

If I was auditing and saw that type of outdated reference, it would prompt me to ask a lot more questions and I imagine the same would be true for an inspector.

A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 08 May 2018 09:05:54(UTC)
A Kurdziel

It's not an exam it’s a working document. You don’t get marks for spelling and style. All that matters is that   you identify suitable controls and make sure that they are being applied.  Most HSE inspectors I have come across look at the policies etc last and look at what is happening on the shop floor first.  

Hsquared14  
#6 Posted : 08 May 2018 09:22:32(UTC)
Hsquared14

If quoting an out of date document in a policy completely invalidated it then 99.9% of all H&S policies would be totally invalidated because it is almost certain that you will miss one reference somewhere

nic168  
#7 Posted : 22 May 2018 13:44:04(UTC)
nic168

JL I doubt if an out of date refernce is a cause for concern, but if there are a lot of old refernces or the document has clearly been cut and paste or lifted from elsewhere ( incorrect addressess, refernces to procedures not undertaken, surprising dates  etc are a giveaway) then I think any auditor oe inspector would be looking more closely at other things.