Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rach108  
#1 Posted : 29 June 2018 09:14:43(UTC)
rach108

We have several staff events a year.  Most of them are at a public venue, for instance the next one is at a music venue with an alcoholic license. 

What sort of checks or measures should we be putting into place when we fund a night out such as this?  Is it sufficient to book with a venue holding relevant licenses or should we be analysing the venue's risk assessments and carrying out our own?

Many thanks

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 29 June 2018 09:34:56(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Is this company funded jolly where people are expected to attend? If so then it is part of your undertaking and I suppose you should do all those sorts of due diligence things to make sure the venue is safe etc. On the other hand if it a post work drinking session and people allowed to avoid it and go home with cup of coca and a decent book don’t worry about and go with the flow.

nic168  
#3 Posted : 29 June 2018 09:54:09(UTC)
nic168

Rach, there is always the risk of turning into the Fun police with these things. If it is a work event it it prudent set a few controls in place:

Ground rules as to behaviour- it is your companies repution that will suffer if it turns into a boozy free for all

Make sure that there are contact numbers for taxis etc available so that there is no reason to drive under the influence.

keep an eye on Young people or other vulnerable people.

I dio know people who do this as a Risk assessment, however they present it as a light hearted handy set of guidelines. 

stuart46  
#4 Posted : 29 June 2018 10:20:23(UTC)
stuart46

We do regualr company sponsored events and activities. My opinion is that if it is company sponsored then you have some form of duty of care. Check that the relevant service provider has insurance and risk assessments if it's an activity such as rafting or go-karting etc and do a simple risk assesment which includes both yours the providers controls as necessary. Don't make a big deal of it but be satisfied that if something happens you can say you have taken appropriate steps. It isn't that time consuming in reality. If alcohol is involved it pays to make it clear that a cetain level of behaviour is expected. Easy to say it isn't necessary for these types of event as it's not necessarily H&S related in everyones book but unfortunately the claim culture drives it along. Better safe than sorry.

rach108  
#5 Posted : 29 June 2018 11:41:49(UTC)
rach108

Great thank you. I am of the same feeling as here. We pay for the events but they are optional. Taxi's are available at the end of the night.  Our hods ask me to get involved in risk assessments but I feel almost like that's getting more involved than need be if it's just food and drinks. We do put out announcements about conduct etc so we will continue to offer gentle advice and ensure the venues have relevant licenses and insurance.