Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MattEDAM  
#1 Posted : 10 May 2019 11:18:49(UTC)
MattEDAM

I've got an issue regarding first aiders for Saturday staff that I could use some advice on. I've assed that we require first aiders at all times on all of our sites due to the nature of our work and distance to ambulance stations in some locations. In regards to first aiders covering on a Saturday (for skeleton staff) would they need to have the full First Aid at Work Certificate or could I get away with putting them on the 1 day Emergency First Aid at Work training? My manager doesn't think it's appropriate or reasonable to put them on the full 3 day course.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks, Matt

hopeful  
#2 Posted : 10 May 2019 12:15:33(UTC)
hopeful

For me it would depend on the risk. What activities are the Saturday team completing? If high risk then you would need full first aid coverage, if office type work appt persons would be more than adequate surely

Acorns  
#3 Posted : 10 May 2019 14:52:23(UTC)
Acorns

As hopeful describes.  The mon-fri RA says first aiders are required, what is not done on a saturday that would lower that requirement?  If you were now asked to do an RA  for the saturday scenario being in place all week, how would you respond?

thanks 1 user thanked Acorns for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 13/05/2019(UTC)
Mark-W  
#4 Posted : 13 May 2019 08:56:46(UTC)
Mark-W

I would look at the work conducted on a wekeday and compare it to the work conducted on a weekend. If it's the same work then the same FA cover is required.

Tinkerbel7  
#5 Posted : 13 May 2019 10:00:07(UTC)
Tinkerbel7

You should complete a First Aid Assessment of needs to consider numbers of employees/mop, risk level and type of working activity, location/number of sites, how far from any medical assistance etc.  Once this has been completed, you can refer to the HSE guidance and it will be a much clearer decision to make.

I can pm you a basic assessment form if you need it.