Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.



Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : 10 May 2019 11:18:49(UTC)
Rank: New forum user

I've got an issue regarding first aiders for Saturday staff that I could use some advice on. I've assed that we require first aiders at all times on all of our sites due to the nature of our work and distance to ambulance stations in some locations. In regards to first aiders covering on a Saturday (for skeleton staff) would they need to have the full First Aid at Work Certificate or could I get away with putting them on the 1 day Emergency First Aid at Work training? My manager doesn't think it's appropriate or reasonable to put them on the full 3 day course.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks, Matt

#2 Posted : 10 May 2019 12:15:33(UTC)
Rank: Forum user

For me it would depend on the risk. What activities are the Saturday team completing? If high risk then you would need full first aid coverage, if office type work appt persons would be more than adequate surely

#3 Posted : 10 May 2019 14:52:23(UTC)
Rank: Forum user

As hopeful describes.  The mon-fri RA says first aiders are required, what is not done on a saturday that would lower that requirement?  If you were now asked to do an RA  for the saturday scenario being in place all week, how would you respond?

thanks 1 user thanked AcornsConsult for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 13/05/2019(UTC)
#4 Posted : 13 May 2019 08:56:46(UTC)
Rank: Super forum user

I would look at the work conducted on a wekeday and compare it to the work conducted on a weekend. If it's the same work then the same FA cover is required.

#5 Posted : 13 May 2019 10:00:07(UTC)
Rank: Forum user

You should complete a First Aid Assessment of needs to consider numbers of employees/mop, risk level and type of working activity, location/number of sites, how far from any medical assistance etc.  Once this has been completed, you can refer to the HSE guidance and it will be a much clearer decision to make.

I can pm you a basic assessment form if you need it.

Users browsing this topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.