Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
firesafety101  
#1 Posted : 09 August 2019 13:43:36(UTC)
firesafety101

Hi.  I have a friend who cares for her husband and involves personal care with stoma bags, changing, disposal etc.

She is having real problems with the smell and asks if there is a face mask that will filter out the smell.

I'm sure there will be something but requesting help on here.

Thanks.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 09 August 2019 13:53:45(UTC)
Roundtuit

Why not try the morticians remedy? - a quick smear of vapour rub directly under the nostrils

Most aromas pass through cheap mask media unles you get in to the serious activated charcoal filters

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
firesafety101 on 12/08/2019(UTC), firesafety101 on 12/08/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 09 August 2019 13:53:45(UTC)
Roundtuit

Why not try the morticians remedy? - a quick smear of vapour rub directly under the nostrils

Most aromas pass through cheap mask media unles you get in to the serious activated charcoal filters

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
firesafety101 on 12/08/2019(UTC), firesafety101 on 12/08/2019(UTC)
Granlund40055  
#4 Posted : 09 August 2019 14:16:36(UTC)
Granlund40055

Search for 3m 9913 (other brands available)

Its a disposable nuisance odour FFP1 mask with a charcoal layer.  Wore one when unblocking a drain and couldn't smell a thing but other half had to shut the windows!

Available on Amazon for £22.99 for 20.  (although if you are not trusting of Amazon, PPE suppliers such as Arco, RS etc do the same but much dearer, around £50 -£72)

Another avenue could be the medical supplies companies for the disposable items.  If your friend already purchases a lot through them they may have a discount scheme

chris42  
#5 Posted : 09 August 2019 15:51:49(UTC)
chris42

If it is just the smell, would nose plugs that swimmers use work? ok you are still breathing in, but not through the nose and only a few pounds.

Might be worth a try

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
firesafety101 on 12/08/2019(UTC)
firesafety101  
#6 Posted : 12 August 2019 08:49:22(UTC)
firesafety101

All great idea, and so cheap too.  I contacted ARCO and received some good advice and passed that on.

I shall now pass on your idea as well.

The lady has help from social services but not as good as you chaps.

many thanks.