Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
martyng1986  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2020 17:01:24(UTC)
martyng1986

Is there any links to say you need Permits to work to work at height & on fragile roofs?

As i have a contractor telling me "Work Permits are mainly only issued when Hot works are involved "

Gasman  
#2 Posted : 22 January 2020 17:27:21(UTC)
Gasman

Originally Posted by: martyng1986 Go to Quoted Post

Is there any links to say you need Permits to work to work at height & on fragile roofs?

As i have a contractor telling me "Work Permits are mainly only issued when Hot works are involved "

I take it you are the client? Or represent the client in a H&S role? Why is the contractor telling you what is needed? PTW issued if you say so. 

thanks 1 user thanked Gasman for this useful post.
Zyggy on 23/01/2020(UTC)
RayRapp  
#3 Posted : 22 January 2020 17:50:51(UTC)
RayRapp

PtWs are normally issued where there is a higher risk than normal which needs to be suitably controlled. Examples include, working in confined spaces, hot works and possibly working at height, but the latter only if there is a high risk, e.g. fragile roof.

Of course, you could have a PtW for any task. It does however negate the purpose of a PtW system if it is a low risk task.  

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 22 January 2020 21:39:47(UTC)
Roundtuit

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 22 January 2020 21:39:47(UTC)
Roundtuit

douglas.dick  
#6 Posted : 23 January 2020 11:02:09(UTC)
douglas.dick

It sounds like the tail is trying to wag the dog. PTW are issued for cold work and hot works, both of which are likely to include work at height and the control thereof. Of course this is your organisations choice as to how you control your work, hazards and contractors.

ttxela  
#7 Posted : 23 January 2020 11:27:07(UTC)
ttxela

It always makes things a little easier if you make clear when and where permits are required when engaging a contractor. Of course this is not always possible where works are reactive but generally if you're engaging someone to work on a fragile roof and you expect them to comply with a PTW system, tell them when you're going through the tendering process.