Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hopeful  
#1 Posted : 14 May 2020 10:38:13(UTC)
hopeful

Hello

As we look to reopen our operations we have started to discuss how we manage fire safety. We accept that in an emergency social distancing is not vital so if there is a fire it is more important to get people out of the building and to a place of safety rather than worry about 2m social distancing.

However how can we safely complete fire drills while adhering to social distancing during the evacuation and at the Assembly Point? What would be deemed acceptable by the Fire Authorities?

I am considering flash cards to ask staff at certain times, seeing if we can get some specific e-learning and testing. Unfortunately nothing replaces the event as completing a drill and we have identifed poor knowledge, practices and improvements we can make during a drills.

Thoughts?

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 14 May 2020 10:55:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 14 May 2020 10:55:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

CptBeaky  
#4 Posted : 14 May 2020 11:18:46(UTC)
CptBeaky

With respect,

One of those links is to a forum not available to the public, the other is talking about fire drills in partially attended schools, which I assume original post is not referring to.

When I look at the guidance relating to factories/warehouse etc. I only get two references to the search "fire"

"In an emergency, for example, an accident, fire, or break-in, people do not have to stay 2m apart if it would be unsafe."

&

"The term ‘common area’ refers to .... toilets, gardens, fire escapes, kitchens, ... store rooms, laundry facilities."

Neither of which would help me if i was seeking an answer to this question.

Personally we don't have a fire drill due for another few months and therefore I can wait this out a little. I would not be willing to have a full fire drill in the current circumstances due to the inherant risk to those attending. Our most recent drill was a success with only minor points raised, so I feel the risk does not warrant the benefit.

ttxela  
#5 Posted : 14 May 2020 12:44:48(UTC)
ttxela

Personally I take the view that since we are a relatively small organisation with fairly low turnover most of our staff will have experienced several fire drills in the building already and new starters have the fire procedure explained to them. I'll probably skip our next drill and pick up again at the next 6 month interval. 

boblewis  
#6 Posted : 14 May 2020 15:48:00(UTC)
boblewis

We could have virtual training drills perhaps 😄. Especially useful for homeworkers
thanks 1 user thanked boblewis for this useful post.
Kate on 15/05/2020(UTC)
Messey  
#7 Posted : 15 May 2020 05:49:32(UTC)
Messey

I am in the same dilemma as I look after fire safety in a number of large and complex buildings, some with occupancy numbers into many thousands.

The reoccupation of the company's buildings will only be partial - perhaps for the rest of 2020. Staff are working in different offices, on different floors and at different times. The working day is now very long with split shifts, whilst other staff are working alternate weeks.

The result is a significant shortage of fire wardens as they are spread out on these different working patterns or at home, and a displaced workforce, many working in unfamiliar buildings or parts of buildings.

There has never been a greater need to conduct a fire drill to ensure staff understand what they need to do and to test procedures. However, until we have ramped up the number of fire wardens, there is little point. We will carry out routine drills at smaller premises where there there has been an increase in staff or where the risk of fire is greatest or unusual, but I am planning on cancelling the drill at our Head Office and a few more difficult locations.

Instead, managers will have to read a briefing note to staff and discuss fire procedures during routine team meetings and sign off they have done so - a virtual drill. For new staff, those with PEEPS and upon request, they will receive a walk through of the building from where they work to their RVP. Plus staff will need to complete the fire awareness e-learning within 5 working days of returning and thefrequency of e-learning will be increased to six-monthly for the foreseeable future

If anybody is proposing novel ideas or systems to replace fire drills on an interim basis, I would appreciate it if they share it here