Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 June 2003 16:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Paterson
I have posted messages on the forum with regard to seeking employment in Health and Safety. Some of the answers have led to either phone calls or interviews but no work as yet.

I wonder if it is my varied experience of health and safety or dare I say it my age (48) that is a barrier to employment.Interested to hear comments from other people who may be experiencing the same reaction as myself. It is with regret to say that sometimes there is no reply at all from enquiries

If any companies are still looking for an experienced H&S person, I can be contacted at RPate54785@aol.com for further discussion. C.V available to all.

Regards

Robert Paterson
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 June 2003 22:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Miller
Well it may be ageism! or it may be that a majority of those responses are from agencies who always promise the earth and deliver nowt. I am 50 and have experienced the very same problems as yourself. I have had 5 responses to my posting. 3 of which asked for a e-mailed CV, then the trail went dead. 1 who rang to tell me that I had missed the job he had in mind, and 1 who offered me position in London after making it clear that I would not relocate. I am not sure where you are from but I live in that bit between London and Scotland. Scotland has no vacancies for some strange reason, and there is also very little on offer in the North East. If you subscribe to the SHP you will see that almost all the jobs are on the wrong side of Watford. I would be interested to see how you and others fair in your search for a suitable position. Keep me posted!

Mike
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 June 2003 10:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Thanks Michael

I am in the central belt of Scotland and find that there are a few vacancies mainly through agencies. Would be nice if agencies let you know if your are unsuccessful and give a reason or some idea of why. Nothing worse than not knowing.
Maybe some of the agency people would like to respond and help us along the road to employment.
Any form of advice would be welcome.

Regards

Robert Paterson
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 June 2003 11:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stewart Bristol
Robert,

I am 55 and have been looking for a Health & Safety position for nearly two years.

I have the NTU Diploma in Safety, Health & Environmental Management and the NEBOSH General Certificate.

I registered for CPD nearly 2 years ago but due to lack of funds I have not been able to attain the required points.

I have had several interviews but nothing yet.

As Murray Walker used to say in F1, Never Give Up.

I still hope I will find something.

Best of luck to you.

Regards

Stewart Bristol.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 June 2003 12:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Rob,

Cant agree more H&E Employment agencies are the pits for people trying to find work in H&S. They get comission if they place someone but nothing if they dont! So if you are 'not right' for the position then they have no interest in you, as you don't make them money!! so speaking or communicating with you is costing them!

They would be best served and reminded that without the HS&E Person they would not have a commodity to work with!!!

If they knew why you were unsuccesful for what ever reason then maybe they could help you in the future to get a job and then make themselves money and also be able to present suitable candidates for presentation to the prospective employer, rather than wasting yours and their time.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 June 2003 18:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Miller
Following on from my previous posting, I still believe it is ageism. Correct me if I am wrong but I feel that anyone qualifying in H&S after 40 has a lot to offer. Surely it is better to employ people who have many years of industrial knowledge and experience that young people with no experience. I am not knocking young people here they deserve a crack of the whip also but, I just wish employers could understand the 'chicken & egg principle'

Frustrated!

Mike
Admin  
#7 Posted : 13 June 2003 09:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Michael

I could'nt agree more. The problem seems to be that inexperience is more attractive than experienced. Watching an item on the news recently about the lack of people doing training is resulting in a shortage of quality people in certain areas of industry.

The problem with ageism is that nobody wants to tackle the issue. I don't know if a study can be done to see how many persons over the age of 40 are employed in safety.

I am not banging a drum or trying to get up peoples noses I just want the opportunity to be given a chance in the Health and Safety industry. People our age have a lot to offer Employers.

Regards

Robert Paterson
Admin  
#8 Posted : 13 June 2003 10:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Dont know really if it is agesim?

One of the things which has changed quite dramatically over the past 10 years is that employers now want a 'competent' H&S person as a result of Man Regs etc and it is far easier to employ a MIOSH,RSP etc than try and say that a NEBOSH Cert holder with 5 years experience is competent.
(This isn't to say that all MIOSH,RSP are competent either!!!)

Rather than look at it from an employee perspective think of it from the employers.

What skills, qualifications, responsibilities and experience are required for this position, do you have these and therefore are you qualified, in all respects, and so right for the job?

How many of you out there apply for jobs when you do not have the qualifications / experience, even when the Job Spec is so specific, and get upset when you do not get an interview?

The majority of jobs out there for the over 40's etc are mainly in management and senior management and of course employers are therefore looking for a High level of Qualifications and experience in a managerial position.

Would you give a H&S Managers position to lead a team of 10 H&S professionals to a 50 year old who did a NEBOSH Cert 2 years ago and fancies dabbling in Safety? Probably not!

I am over 40 and been in the safey / Env field for nearly 20 years and have all the qualifications and membership of differing chartered institutions and RSP status but do not even get a sniff at some positions.

Food for thought.

Admin  
#9 Posted : 13 June 2003 10:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Hi Dave

I agree that it is not all down to ageism but I can site some instances when going for a position with other candidates. One of the candidates used to work with me in a previous job. He had little qualifications and experience with regard to health and safety and was 12 years younger than me. He was called back for interview where I never heard from them again.

I know that not all employers are not like that and in fact as a result of this forum I have had interest in my C.V.

Your comments are very revelant to the problem and I appreciate them. I continue to press on in the hope that I too can be a part of H&S.

Thanks again

Regards

Robert Paterson
Admin  
#10 Posted : 13 June 2003 13:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip Roberts
Robert,
and all the other over 40's,
Just to give you some encouragement my story is slightly different. I am just over 60 and have been in my present position as HSQE advisor for just 7 weeks having been appointed to post 1 day befor my 60th.birthday. I had previously been looking for two years having had the same experiences as some of you relating to ageism etc, so the moral is "Don't give up" I didn't and am now in a good H&S job,

Regards

Phil Roberts
Admin  
#11 Posted : 13 June 2003 20:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Miller
Dave

I agree that it is fruitless to apply for positions that are skill specific. (something I have never done) However that said what happened to the employer willing to train. How are we supposed to get experience when we are continously over looked. Often I have applied for positions that only ask for NEBOSH cert.(which I have) as well as 50% of a diploma to date. Also I only apply for positions that are in my field of experience, construction/building maintenance. I have thirty tears experience here! 15 of which are supervisory management. Is this not experience? I manage safety on a daily basis.

If things keep going the way they are by the time I get that said experience I may be dead.

Just joking! Thank to you all for your contributions. You just have to keep laughing and looking.

Mike

Admin  
#12 Posted : 16 June 2003 11:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Mike good point. if only all managers 'managed safety' on a daily basis then there would probably not be a need for the H&S professional. So there is a difference, would you give me a Site Managers job because I have a NEBOSH Dip and worked in construction for 15 years? Different kind of experience.

Its difficult with the training thing, LA are notorious for pinching EHO's in the last year of Uni from other LA's who have put these people through training and paid for it.

The vast majority of employers want people who can run very fast as soon as they join the organisation and cannot wait for the time to get 'trained' NEBOSH Cert, NEBOSH DIP 1&2, RSP how long realistically starting from scratch, be honest 7 years?

Degree 3 or 4 years (but then no experience)

NVQ 4 from scratch - personally - No idea

Distance learning to get to MIOSH Status 5 years?

Thinks its all about a balance between what the employer wants competence wise and how much they are willing to pay for that, some employers have really no idea whatsoever what benefits from a business point of view employing a HS&E person would bring, its still the 'comply with the law as the maximum I will do!'

But keep persevering guys you will be succesfull.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 17 June 2003 21:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to the thread and also thanks to everyone who contacted me directly. Iam greatly encouraged by some of the responses escpecially those from people who have managed to secure a job even in their twilight years. Good Luck to them all.

But the problem does not go away. There is a vacancy that was posted on the 16 May 2003 of which I responded to and received an email back to say they would be in touch. Again nothing happened and I see the vacancy posted on the forum for a second time. As I said before it would be good if companies replied and let us know why we were not successful.

I ask again of agencies and companies to give us "oldies" a chance to prove to you that experience of life is just as important a comodity as having diplomas and degrees.

Thanks once again

Kind Regards

Robert Paterson

Admin  
#14 Posted : 18 June 2003 15:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Matthews AIIRSM
I am nearly 54 and have been searching for a H&S position for 18 months. I have been to 2 or 3 interviews, but haven't had the decency of a yes or no answer from the agencies. I have had to chase them up, they don't seem to have a good reputation??
It would be interesting to hear from employers i.e. HR as to what they are looking for then maybe we can adapt/change the way we conduct interviews
I still have hopes of finding a job, maybe still shoving my cv out through the coffin to passers by!!

Bob
Admin  
#15 Posted : 19 June 2003 19:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip Jones
Have any of you tried looking for a job in the training side of health/safety?
This is one area where the older you are the "more experienced" you are.A load of tosh I know, but with a short course (city and guilds 730/7, adult and further education teaching certificate)(from any local FE college, about 150 quid)you will give yourself another string to your bow as it were.
Most H/S professionals are now having training included in their remit so it could give you the edge in that interview.

Just a thought!
Good luck

Phil
Admin  
#16 Posted : 20 June 2003 10:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Rogers
Robert,

Likely I have been recently sucessful in aquiring my third H&S position within 6 years, and although younger than you (28), I would like to put forward the side for the younger candidate, from the age of 21 when I graduated, I tried and tried, attended interview after interview and if I was lucky recieved a rejection letter.

It took me the best part of 18 months to find a position and i think that part of the reason I was employed was due to my, 'I have no experience, but without someone willing to take a risk and employ me I will never gain the experience I need' answer to why i was working in retail as a manager at the time.

so keep you chin up and carry on looking and remember its not just the old un's that have problems finding a job.

Best wishes
Karen
Admin  
#17 Posted : 30 June 2003 10:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Raymond
Dear All,

Reading the last 16 or so responses, it seems clear there is a very real frustration in the market place both over client requirements and recruitment agencies.

Well I'm a manager of a recruitment company to the Health and Safety industry, so I am hoping that I can give you some help and some insight into the fickle world of recruitment.

We are new to Health and Safety recruitment as a sector, but have over 15 years experience of the recruitment industry. Over the past 9 months we've gone from a start-up in a new industry to a thriving desk.
This can only be due to 3 scenarios.
1. There is a need for Health and Safety professionals in the market place.
2. There is a supply of those H&S professionals, who fit the requirements of the clients
3. Previous recruitment agencies in H&S have not had tough competition, meaning Quality and integrity fall easily away.

I personal belief is that both Quality and Integrity should be the holy grail of recruitment. Fair to often I speak to H&S candidates who have had a rough ride on the career moves, and it sounds like a lot of people on this forum have also experienced this. Surely when you move job, thats the time you need support and back up, but also some honesty.

Obviously there is only so much we can do in your career move. Unfortunatley we can't make you younger if the client wants someone of 30's. And if a client is looking for construction experience, then that's exactly what they need and previous experience of retail just wont match. So we are totally client dependent, we can only find you a job if we have a job that exactly meets both parties expectations.
However the advantage is that we will sell you rather than a CV, and age is not too much of a factor (unless the client specifies) as I have place 58 year olds.

I see the H&S market as a busy and sucessful market place for all parties involved, and a market place full of professionals that are clear of their needs and expectations. Which makes my job easier.

Enough for now.

Regards

Dave Raymond
Review Health & Safety
Admin  
#18 Posted : 01 July 2003 10:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young
Dave,

Which parts of the UK does your agency cover? and are you looking for CV's?
Admin  
#19 Posted : 01 July 2003 17:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Nah Ron you're much too old!!

I just don't believe in this ageism theory as a generalisation.

Its all about experience, the right academic qualifications for the specific job and ..........a practical and pragmatic attitude. Qualifications are the least important of those three, you can be taught what you need to know, but it is difficult to change an employees attitude.

Employers, and I include my company in that, are looking for practical down to earth (pardon the pun you construction guys) advisors who can put a practical slant on things.

Quoting regs whether at interview or on site is a no go, if you have to quote them you've lost the 'battle'.

Our job is persuasion, good (not common! we've all got that or it wouldn't be common)sense, a practical bent, and having the confidence in knowing when to back off - there's always another day.

Geoff
Admin  
#20 Posted : 01 July 2003 17:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Raymond
Geoff,

You've hit the nail on the preverbial head.

Admin  
#21 Posted : 02 July 2003 08:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young
All I can say Mr Burt, if I'm too old, you must have had a very tough paper round! However, whilst I do agree entirely with your LATTER comments, others might not! g'day
Admin  
#22 Posted : 02 July 2003 10:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Now! Now! Gentlemen no bitching

Seriously though it is the same attitude by Geoff and others that we "oldies" find ourselves up against all the time.

Interesting enough I heard a radio interview this morning talking about Government bringing in legislation to combat ageism in the workplace.

But the comments are correct. When I was in the mining industry we had to coach people into believing that the quick way was not always the safe way. You cannot learn that in Colleges and Universities but it can be learnt in the school of life.

Dave, your are correct an honest answer is always welcome and appreciated

Regards

Robert Paterson
Admin  
#23 Posted : 02 July 2003 12:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Robert, we are not bickering, we know each other and having a joke! Know what I mean?

Admin  
#24 Posted : 02 July 2003 12:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Robert

From my response on this thread could you explain what you mean by:

'Seriously though it is the same attitude by Geoff and others that we "oldies" find ourselves up against all the time.'

However, I will say I'm a firm believer that if you go looking for something you will find it!

Geoff

Admin  
#25 Posted : 02 July 2003 13:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Looks like the jokes on me, Ha,Ha,Ha

As previously mentioned elsewhere in this thread I am not getting at anyone in particular and no offense is meant.

Sometimes you get so fed up trying to obtain work that some attitudes seem off (not yours I might add.

Anyway lets not get hung up on attitudes as we are all in this organisation to promote health and safety in the workplace.

Kind Regards and best wishes to everyone

Robert Paterson

Admin  
#26 Posted : 02 July 2003 13:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Without wishing to preach, it's attitude and your (or anybodys) general approach that is, above all else, the most important factor.

This is especially important in H&S where one day you are working with the toilet cleaners and the next giving a presentation in the MDs office.

Trying looking at it in a different way.

Good luck with the job hunting.

Geoff
Admin  
#27 Posted : 02 July 2003 21:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Miller
It has been some time since I visited this thread due to pressures of study. I am pleasanty surprised that it continues to thrive. Someone reommended Teaching qualifications for us old farts. I already have this qualification C&G 730 F.Ed cert. I has not helped me one bit! When I decided to train as a safety professional I had thought that having construction experience and a teaching qualification, it might give me two strings to my bow. If not an advisor perhaps a consultant. The fact is that despite what qualifications you may have, if you are on the wrong side of forty your on an uphill struggle.

I wish I had known this before I spent 3yrs and nearly £4000 on gaining qualifications.
It has been suggested on this thread that we should not asume that ageism is the problem and having the right experience and attitude is the key.
How can we begin to believe this when all you have to do is look in any newspaper, job shop and sometimes the SHP and see comments like 'ideally you will be under 35' or 'we are looking for a dynamic person to join a young team' and so on and so on---

The list of discrimination is endless. On the other end of the spectrum we do have our uses.. when it comes to companies wishing to employ a 'mature person preferably some one in semi retirement to be our health and safety manager/contracts manager and security advisor, all for £8000 per annum pro rata.

Question. Am I getting paranoid or is there a trend developing where employers try to recruit safety advisors into dual roles? Is the job not difficult enough trying to make behavioural changes in determined individuals as well as dealing with management who are on a self destruct mode driven by profit.

With ageism legislation now coming into play we would be fools to think that this will make any difference. The only exeption will be the change of wording in adverts. They will not mention age but the discrimination will still take place. They have you by the ganggooleys when they read your CV. They only have to look at your previous work history and if you are like me who served an apprenticeship in 1969, your dead in the water.

Thank you for listening/reading It does seem that we have opened pandora's box with this one. I look with interest for your responses.

Mike (still frustrated) Miller
Admin  
#28 Posted : 04 July 2003 18:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Mike

Your question was:

"Am I getting paranoid or is there a trend developing where employers try to recruit safety advisors into dual roles? Is the job not difficult enough trying to make behavioural changes in determined individuals as well as dealing with management who are on a self destruct mode driven by profit".

I think it has probably always been that way in respect to dual roles. Why not if there is not sufficient work in one job, then it makes sense to tie two together.

The second question is probably more controversial (but related to the first question) because without profits there are no jobs.

The owners of the company make a judgement and cost must be considered - how could it not be?

I think I see where you stand on ageism but the term 'dynamic young team' is generally a euphanism for 'we pay low wages' - its a fact of life that younger people will accept lower wages to get a foot on the ladder - and that's in any profession or trade.

The proposed legislation is not founded on how the world should be or how we'd like it, it's an attempt to keep older people in work for a longer time by trying to stop companies forcing retirement at set ages - so that the state pension bill is reduced.

I can only speak from my experience (that's an overused word!) but I have not experienced any 'ageism' whatsoever from potential employers, indeed in this profession I see it as positive advantage.

For the last 7 years I have practised as a Consultant (successfully, I think) and again I see age as an advantage.

The point in all this? None I guess except a firm conviction that we need to look on the bright side - take advantage of your age, show it in a positive light.

Geoff

Admin  
#29 Posted : 23 August 2003 11:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Hi Everyone

I am not re raising this issue again, but to let everyone who took part in the thread know that my search for a position in Health and Safety has come to an end as I will be taking up a position of Health and Safety Manager at the beginning of next month.

Thanks for all your responses both on the forum and direct to my personal email. They were most encouraging and helped me through a time of despair

I will continue to visit the forum and will always be available to help anyone else who may be experiencing similar problems as myself had experienced. If you are then may I encourage you to hang on in there as it is written "everything comes to he who waits"

Thanks again to all the fellow safety professionals out there.

Kind Regards

Robert Paterson
Admin  
#30 Posted : 23 August 2003 16:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Well done Robert.

Come back in 3 months and let us know if you feel age is or isn't an advantage in the job!

Good luck

Geoff