Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 September 2000 22:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Duffill My daughter works as a check-out girl/cashier at a small local supermarket. She works an 8 hour day with morning, lunch and afternoon breaks. She is obliged to stand all the time she is at the till, and I wondered whether anyone knows if there is any legislation concerning these working conditions?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 September 2000 08:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Regulation 11 of the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 state '(3) A suitable seat shall be provided for each person at work in the workplace whose work includes operations of a kind that the work (or a substantial part of it) can or must be done sitting.' This does leave some room for judgement and you could discuss the particular case with your local EHO or HSE office. Every supermarket I visit seems to provide seats!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 September 2000 14:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian David Research on whether to stand or be seated at checkouts indicates upper limb loads are reduced when standing but that a seat should be provided enabling operators to have a choice. The use of suitable sit-stand stools may be a way forward for some checkouts. The following publication may week be helpful for you, available from HSE Books tel: 01787-881165: * Checkouts and Musculoskeletal Disorders HSE Books, 1998, IND(G) 269. Of prime importance, is that the employer should have carried out a suitable and sufficient risk asessment of this work activity and implemented a safe working practice, based on any risk reduction recommendations.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 October 2000 20:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe McNicholas Brian, Try visiting http://www.healthandsafety.co.uk/hscd.html. It gives some good detail on checkouts and musculoskeletal disorders. My wife works on checkouts and I found the information useful. Best regards Joe