Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 June 2001 14:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Opinions please on what could be regarded as unreasonably high temperatures in an office environment. My thoughts are that anything above 25C could be construed this way.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 June 2001 19:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bernie Rogers I asked the same question of the HSE a few years ago; the reply I received, "There is no upper limit, I am sat in an office at the moment where the temperature is 90 degrees F." Clearly this is to be viewed from the assessment of the environment and why the temperatures are becoming uncomfortable. It may be poor ventillation, poor insulation, overcrowding of personnel or the electronic equipment. Since there is no legal limit to the temperature perhaps, rather than trying to decide on a figure look at how it can be controlled. It is possible that frequent breaks in cooler rooms and suitable supplies of drinking facilities will reduce the effect of the heat on the personnel.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 June 2001 19:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bernie Rogers I asked the same question of the HSE a few years ago; the reply I received, "There is no upper limit, I am sat in an office at the moment where the temperature is 90 degrees F." Clearly this is to be viewed from the assessment of the environment and why the temperatures are becoming uncomfortable. So I'll pass on the advice I received: It may be poor ventillation, poor insulation, overcrowding of personnel or the electronic equipment. Since there is no legal limit to the temperature perhaps, rather than trying to decide on a figure look at how it can be controlled. It is possible that frequent breaks in cooler rooms and suitable supplies of drinking facilities will reduce the effect of the heat on the personnel.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 June 2001 21:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Bennett Ron, As previously mentioned there is no upper limit however, by thinking laterally you may be able to convince the powers at be that something needs to be done. You state office temperatures so I am assuming that you work in the average office environment. Conduct a risk assessment taking in to the account the affects of high temperatures on individual employees who may be susceptible to the extremes of heat due to their condition i.e. pregnant, old, medical condition etc. This has previously proved successful in my experience. Good luck (you will need it) Regards, J
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 June 2001 07:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young I should have elaborated first before posting this thread. Our offices are normally air conditioned to about 22C but due to ongoing refurbishment some sections of the aircon have been interrupted for up to 3 weeks and temps are reaching 27/28C in these areas. We supply all drinks (hot & cold) on a freevend system at all times and staff are free to take breaks away from the hot areas. We also supply desk & floor standing fans to affected areas in an attempt at moving the air around. Mobile aircon units were discounted because as we work in an open office environment, they would prove useless. I raised the initial question because of the fact that as there is no legal upper temp to consider, just "reasonable" I wanted to know what others thought "reasonable" was. Risk assessments carried out prior to the refurbishment programme alluded to the possibility of temps reaching "unreasonable" highs for short periods due to the aircon being unavailable but because of the uncertainty of what is "unreasonable", there is not a lot to be used to convince senior management to take further steps, they want proof that we need to do more. No-one has fainted, production appears unaffected and in all, only a few are complaining but this is on the increase. Taking all of the above into account, would you think that we are taking reasonable steps to protect the health & safety of our staff?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 26 June 2001 08:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I sounds like you may have done what you can reasonably do. Have you considered shading from direct sunlight and reducing relative humidity?
Admin  
#7 Posted : 26 June 2001 12:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Cooper Ron, I agree with the other contributors and fully understand the situation you find yourself in. However, as you say, you only have a few complainants so far. Before all this escalates out of all proportion you could try involving the people who work there. A plan depicting progress of the refurbishment work that is visible to everyone may help, paricularly if it contains details of when the air conditioning will be out of action. Involving office managers, safety reps etc by explaining the progress of the work may help - people will sometimes put up with difficult conditions if they know when they are likely to start and end. At least then you are being open and honest with them and not making promises you may not be able to keep. A regular review of progress from the builder etc would be required with explanations if dates slip etc. Hope this helps. Frank Cooper
Admin  
#8 Posted : 26 June 2001 12:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker As soon as we have some warm weather in this country, you can guarantee two things: the yobs start to smash up some town and this chat line discusses this problem. There have been many "reasonable" remarks made already about what should happen in a company with sensible employers. What happens were there is a perfecly good Air con but the directors have banned it's use as it consumes power. This is the situation I face and yes I've tried all reasonable persuasion methods too. Incidentally it is not just a question of temperatures - humidity levels play a big part in comfort. If we have a minimum temp (left over from the factories act?) why can't we have a upper limit or at least less ambigious guidance from HSE.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 26 June 2001 14:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede As this is an issue that is high on anecdotes and low on facts perhaps a well respected professional organisation such as this could commission a bit of research to discover the costs from a production as well as safety point of view of higher temperatures in the workplace. This could be done in partnership with other interested bodies such as the HSE or the trade unions. Once done this could be presented to government with a view to amending the currently legislation by introduce a ceiling on temperatures in the workplace.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 26 June 2001 14:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Good idea, it would remove most ambiguity, except for whose thermometer was the accurate one...
Admin  
#11 Posted : 26 June 2001 14:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede Oh ye of little faith......and a lot of hard experience!
Admin  
#12 Posted : 26 June 2001 16:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sheila Dover I receive many complaints in the workplace about it being too hot. We are in an old building with windows that open, however it only brings in fumes from cars, so they are not used. Some offices have window air conditioners which help some - but when you have 30 or 40 people in an officer area the temperature rises. I think an indoor office temperature is comfortable at 75 degrees as long as there is air movement.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 26 June 2001 17:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Juliet Fennell I totally sympathise with all comments. Our own employees are asking the same questions, the problem is that our offices consist primarily of portacabins and an annex building which is essentially also a portacabin. Temperatures are frequently 30 C, there is no air conditioning. Some staff have desk fans but they only move the warm air around and the cost of cooler units is astronomical. Has anbody any comments or bright ideas? Juliet
Admin  
#14 Posted : 26 June 2001 20:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Further my earlier posting and people's subsequent comments. I assume all are aware of "Thermal Comfort in the Workplace (HSG 194)" this is worth reading if only to appreciate that some one has produced a ten page Guidance document and said nothing. It little more than regurgitates parts of MHSWR. David Brede's idea is an excellent one, how about it IOSH? Here is a chance to be proactive. A decent guidance document that quoted relevant parts of other sources rather than just naming them might help us all. It could even stretch to giving some general parameters for temperature, humidity and ventilation. Given time these might be so widely used, they became a consensus view. I've had a bit of a Surf and interestingly most countries seem to have the same ambiguous statements as our own. I even found USA and Aussie chat sites with a similar thread to this one. Eire Health and Safety Authority recommend an upper temp of 27°C WHO recommends a maximum of 24°C Here are a few interesting sites www.vl28.dial.pipex.com/hazard40.htm http://www.osh.dol.govt....catalogue/pdf/temp-s.pdf http://www.gov.mb.ca/lab...n/hotenvir/hotenvir.html I found a really nice Western Australia site with all of the H&S documents on it, it would appear they have an ACOP that is almost the same as MHSWR, so if anyone wishes to emigrate I guess your knowledge is transferable. I quote: Regulation 3.15 states An employer must ensure (a) that work practices are arranged so that employees are protected from extremes of heat and cold; and (b) if the workplace is in a building or structure that, as far as practicable, heating and cooling are provided to enable employees to work in a comfortable environment Juliet, I've seen these buildings with a couple of bags of white stone chippings thrown on the roof to reflect the sun. Might this help?
Admin  
#15 Posted : 26 June 2001 20:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Angela I know you have already had many responses from this forum. I just wanted to point you in the direction of exactly what the HSE did say about this. An old press release from the summer of 1999 can be found at http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/e99139.htm It's title "Hot and bothered? ... Keep your cool"! Again as an earlier response said risk assessment is the key. Another idea that is often overlooked in the UK is changing working hours. More flexible working would allow perhaps earlier starts and earlier getaways for those that wanted to enjoy the best of both worlds, a cooler office in the early morning and a spot of relaxation later in the day. Of course it would not suit everyone, but I would explore the options. Angela PS For anyone that knows me from earlier postings. I now have my results of my degree which I studied part-time whilst working. First class BSc(Hons)SHE Management. Obviously I am delighted, so forgive me for shouting it from the roof tops.
Admin  
#16 Posted : 27 June 2001 09:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard I understood that thermal comfort would be considered during the routine review of the Welfare Regs., but at a recent seminar I asked an HSE inspector, who was a speaker, about this very point, and she was pretty non-committal. I think we must rely on the TUC to apply pressure - I understand the CBI is not altogether in favour of a statutory upper limit. I wonder why!! The temperature in my office this week has exceeded 96 deg F! Richard
Admin  
#17 Posted : 27 June 2001 10:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Sat up here in the Northern Isles, where the maximum recorded day temperature was around 22deg C, you would think that we would not have this problem. Whilst the rest of the country has been enjoying a heatwave, so (briefly) have we - it must have got up to 20 for a while - and, wouldn't you know it, people have been complaining about the heat!! Of course, after a couple of sunny days we get saved by another couple of days of sea fog. Humidity, of course, is the biggest contributor to the discomfort, but everyone blames the heat. Me, I'm quite comfortable, but then I am an Englishman (FEB) who used to work in a non-airconditioned 6 storey open plan office under the Heathrow flight path. So there can be no absolutes - it's a matter of what you are used to. I've worked with Libyans and Egyptians huddled in overcoats against the cold - at 25degC. But then the day temp was over 40 and they were quite happy. So it would be quite pointless somebody in an office in London, Brussels or wherever setting down numbers. However, the lower the humidity, the wider the comfort zone. So if you can spend some money, concentrate on de-humidification first - but watch out for the static sparks!! John - in an office in a thunderstorm in thick sea fog!!
Admin  
#18 Posted : 27 June 2001 11:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi First and foremost, it is vital to consider all the factors that contribute to thermal comfort, but temperature, humidity and air movement are the main ones. It would have been more practical had the HSE included in the Thermal Comfort guidance – HS(G)194 a “hierarchy of acceptable zones”, supplementing these with additional guidance of what to do--then the statement in paragraph 10 i.e.,”An acceptable zone of thermal comfort for most people in the UK lies roughly between 13°C (56°F) and 30°C (86°F), with acceptable temperatures for more strenuous work activities concentrated towards the bottom end of the range, and more sedentary activities towards the higher end.” !!!! Such a hierarchy of measures would have perhaps addressed what I can only perceive were the CBI’s concerns—perhaps mistakenly fearing employee’s demands of the control measures when weather conditions are truly extreme! . I wonder what research and fact is this so-called “acceptable zone of thermal comfort” based on. Whereas the HSC is bound to consult on the ACoPS, the HSE does not have to do so with its general guidance. Perhaps occupational safety organisations such as IOSH and others can influence it by requesting the HSE to have input into the drafts prior to publication. The HSE does occasionally consult interested parties, but it will be more effective there is input at the multitude of HSE advisory committees’ stage. The thermal comfort guidance has got some good “control measures”, but as in most cases, our health and safety system has not evolved to that level of effective self regulation as the CBI perceives it can effectively undertake--where those who control and take financial decisions heed the guidance or even the advice of their own Safety Advisors. All they want to know is “ is it a legal requirement to ?” It is a shame that almost 30 years after Robens, there is a reluctance on the part of those who take financial resource decisions to accept that where regulations are non-prescriptive, IT IS THE ACoPS and GUIDANCE that supplements practical implementation of the regulations. Surely, it is in effect a failure on part of all stakeholders that we have this situation. Obviously, there will always be those who are exceptions.
Admin  
#19 Posted : 27 June 2001 11:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young I've just read the press release touted by Angela and also sped read the full HSG 194 and I am still of the opinion that the issue of "unreasonable" temperatures is being fudged over, the number of responses this thread has generated appears to vindicate this. Risk assessment is too opinionated to offer clear & concise guidance. Surely in this case some form of scientific evidence of what temperature the average person begins to suffer problems is what is required. If this temperature is exceeded, management would have to prove to employees that they are taking all reasonable steps to reduce it. Something akin to an OES under the COSHH Regs. This would at least go some way to addressing the situation.
Admin  
#20 Posted : 27 June 2001 12:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ed Carter May I join in this thread,already explored by my esteemed colleagues. What has been said regarding no upper limits etc. is true. There is however a, I believe, still current amendment order; the Fuel & Electricity(Heating)(Control)(Amendment) Order 1980. which states that energy cannot be used to create a temperature greater than 19C. Therefore, the powers that be must recognise the effects of too high a Temp. Other guidance says that the ideal office Temp. is between 19 - 21C degrees C, and that higher than 21/22C the humidity starts to be affected detrimentally, under 30% brings lethargy, itchy eyes, etc etc. Perhaps you could point out to your bosses that higher temps will have a detrimemntal effect on their staff's performance. (Incidently, surely it may contravene the relevant bit of HASWA 1974 (Sect2). There's my tuppence worth, hope it adds to the debate. Ed
Admin  
#21 Posted : 27 June 2001 12:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett We have recently moved into sweltering offices and naturally I am getting regular questions about reasonable temperatures. I even have people saying that they will not be able to work in the offices if current conditions continue. Do colleagues have any views on what the situation will be if these staff do walk out? If we can't point at a "reasonable" temperature, surely they can't justify downing tools and on the other hand management won't be able to take any action either as it will all be down to a subjective view of what is a suitable temperature. A second point about all this is that we as the H&S advisers get all the flak when very often we are enduring precisely the same conditions that people are complaining about. I for one am fed up with people expecting me to be able to supply a magic remedy, as if I am totally immune to the heat and humidity. Is any account being taken of the stress this causes us???? I suspect not...
Admin  
#22 Posted : 27 June 2001 18:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Wilkins Just a few thoughts on simple practical measures that can help - sorry if they seem very obvious but they might help. 1) Encourage natural ventilation through rooms and offices - in one door or window and out of another - rather than just moving it around. 2) Attange any portable fans that might be around the office/workspace so that they are all trying to move the air in the same direction through the office. 3) If you are upstairs make use of natural chimney effects to maximise airflow - air will naturally rise up a stairwell. Here in a second floor attic office we get a good flow of cool air by having an outside door open at the bottom of the stairs, the office door open and a fan blowing OUT of the window. Much more effective than fighting the convection up the stairs by using it to blow air in through the window. 4) Minimise heat gain into the room - white walls and roofs and if possible shades (white paper) on the outside of windows. Blinds on the inside of windows have practically no effect as they are heated by the sunlight and then heat the. You need to stop the heat getting in through the glass room (stop the greenhouse effect). 5) Minimise heat gain inside by making sure all unecessary electrical equipment is switched off and that power saving settings are maximised on equipment that is on such as computers. Watch things like fridges that generate a lot of heat and try and put them somewhere where the heat from the back can be carried outside. 6) Take your laptop and mobile home and work in the garden? Simon
Admin  
#23 Posted : 28 June 2001 07:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Simon, Not too sure whether your fire brigade will appreciate your comments in 1 & 3. It appears to me from what you say there, that you may be compromising your buildings fire control integrity. I still haven't heard anything in the responses to make me alter my opinion that we need to have stated upper limit temperatures to give us leverage to do our job properly.
Admin  
#24 Posted : 28 June 2001 08:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Ed The order that you refer to was introduced (I think) in order to preserve stocks of coal etc. during the period of strikes by power station workers & others at that time. It did not allude to "ideal" temperaturesin any way. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Admin  
#25 Posted : 28 June 2001 11:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Ron, And I will stick to my premise that to lay down temperature absolutes which may only suit one part of the population is meaningless, particularly if humidity is not also legislated for. Now if somebody could come up with a clever chart relating comfort zones to temperature AND humidity, and a factor to take into account, say, deviation above the normal Summer day conditions for the geographical area, then it might just have a chance of acceptance. An idea for a research project for someone? John
Admin  
#26 Posted : 28 June 2001 13:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Me again I've been having a look around for research data on this subject and have found a really nice article written by someone in the Air Conditioning industry. He explains why modern building get hot etc. He also cities a number of research documents Human Behaviour & Temperature Performance in function of Temperature The results are fairly much what you would expect - the interesting thing for me is the research quote hard figures for performance falloff and increase in accident rates. * Accidents tend to be more frequent at temp extremes, with an optumium of 20°C * Dexterity rises with temperature to a max at 24°C * Percieved physical comfort is at a maximun at 21°C with a RH of 45% * Physical and mental performance drop off above 24°C This is from research from Prof David Wyon I'm trying to contact him now and might try to get him and TSHP to get together and reprint the article.
Admin  
#27 Posted : 28 June 2001 16:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood I am not surprised at the level of response on this topic! As long as I have been in work, every time the temperature rises, people complain. My current employer has not only a view on building design to maximise comfort in all weathers but also takes employee discomfort seriously. Risk assessments are of course necessary but best done in plenty of time so appropriate measures can be planned. Individuals vary enormously so what cools one individual may 'freeze' another! In a large building, the facilities manager should have a view, which should be communicated in advance of warm weather, to all other managers or occupants. Then some discussion can be has as to how best the predicted summer (if it comes) can be dealt with and this should included safety reps, H&S committees or staff reps etc. Provision of personal fans, local a/c units or change of desk can often alleviate discomfort but the main thing is to make employees actually feel that their employer cares! Often the complaints diminish when even little things are done. I have just come back from a visit to part of our company in Palm Springs, where we have 150 wind generators and the average summer temperature is around 43 deg C! Our Team actually work outside in this most of the year round and love it! In the local office an a/c unit keep it to the mid 30's and they think that is fine too! I'll bet that some of the complainers actually go home and then lie in the warm evening sun and are quite happy (because they choose to) - so their views are essential in dealing with the 'problem'. They actually like the warmth but don't probably like working in it - make them happier at work and it will go away! George Wedgwood
Admin  
#28 Posted : 04 July 2001 13:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams For anyone who would be interested in a free information leaflet on the topic of temperatures. Keighley Worksafe Project produces another FREE leaflet on the subject. You can contact them on 01535 664462. Regards Ashley
Admin  
#29 Posted : 04 July 2001 21:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood To follow on again, I was speaking to a HSE Principal Inspector today and this question again cropped up - as we were having a meeting in a very cold (air conditioned) meeting room! He actually told me that there was some old legislation (not H&S) that specified a maximum temperature for rooms to work in under Government energy saving laws and he said this law had not been revoked. So if anyone can dig this out of archives it may help those who need a legal answer to their problem! (The inspector could not remember the legislation) Remember that all you have to do is get agreement on what is 'unreasonable' for temperature and if enough complain, management would have to do something. Best thing is to take a sensible approach and discuss it with staff and safety reps, with management.
Admin  
#30 Posted : 05 July 2001 08:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin R. Bessant I recall that NHS Estates require all NHS premises which are not used for patients to be heated to a maximum of nineteen degrees celcius during the heating season. It did not mention a maximum temperature for summer periods however. I also think, as George states, that this had come from a Government Energy Saving Scheme. I wonder if it dates back to the last energy crisis? When I was training (many years ago) I remember being told that the reason that we did not set a maximum temperature was because they had to comply with Europe, and how could you set a maximum that would be regularly exceeded in countries such as Italy and Greece.during summer months.
Admin  
#31 Posted : 05 July 2001 18:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi The references to heating to 19 degrees is by the following orders--I had tried to get clarification from the then DETR/DTI as these orders are to do with saving energy and the first was promulgated during the oil crisis in 1974. Fuel & Electricity (heating) (Control) Order 1974 (S.I. 1974/2160). Fuel & Electricity (heating) (Control) (Amendment) Order 1980
Admin  
#32 Posted : 10 July 2001 15:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston You may find the following useful - part of an excellent ergonomics learning resource at the University of Toronto http://anarch.ie.utoront...ronment/environment.html