Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2002 09:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie
Extract from an accident report on my desk this very day - "How Did Accident Happen? - Playing "Vampires". Group members all close their eyes and he bumped into someone" !! (Subject's date of birth is 1985).

And you think you've got problems! Try reducing your accident rate when you've got that sort of incident to include! If anybody comes back and tells me I should have done a risk assessment I will not be responsible for my actions.

Laurie

Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2002 10:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson
Laurie,

Hmmm, an accident investigation to really get your "teeth" into eh?
Hope you didn't get too "cross" with the poor lad.

Recommended control measure: Garlic and silver bullets for supervisors.

Good luck with your causal analysis.

Regards,

Nick
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2002 11:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Rogers
That's better than my best story, " Walking down shop floor and walked into aircraft engine" The employee in question was reading a engine manual and did not see the engine that has a diameter of approximetly 18 foot.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2002 12:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy
Well, can we admire his honesty? did he freely admit to this.

An employee recently stated that he exacerbated a recent injury because he wrapped his leg around a brush handle and slipped!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 February 2002 12:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dyfed Rowlands
I know how you feel - received an accident form from a refuse supervisor - refuse collector had been bitten by a dog.

(following was completed by the said supervisor)

Remedial Action To Be Taken:

The dog should be hung and shot at dawn.

I'm hoping he doesn't claim and I'm faced with sending the form to our Insurers!!

Good answer nevertheless!!

Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 February 2002 13:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett
I apologise for this being a little risque but I promise it's true...one of my secondary schools sent me a report into an accident in which a student had been whacked by a racquet when her classmates were larking about in a PE lesson. The teacher's report stated that "girls have been reminded to respect equipment and only hit the balls."

Admin  
#7 Posted : 12 February 2002 15:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young
Lets all join in. I received an accident report several years ago in which an employee hurt his back whilst "shrink raping" a pallet.

Oh the splinters!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 12 February 2002 16:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Pat Burns
One of the accident forms i received in my early days at my current workplace was a rating stepping into a shower without checking the water temperature first.

He indicated with a cross between the legs on the company form that he had scalded his groin area.

The ships safety officer annotated the following corrective action.

"Check temperature and Wear Hard Hat whilst in Shower."

As you can gather there was a distinct lack of humour shown by management when the form was sent ashore.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 12 February 2002 18:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey
OK lets add another try.....

On removing the old door a horse shoe fell off the wall and hit me on the head.....

Managers comment: Good job it wasn't the horse!!!!
Admin  
#10 Posted : 12 February 2002 18:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson
OK Here goes:

We have recently had an employee scratched by a cat whilst picking up a remote control from under a disabled lady's bed. Managers comments: Nick, I am "scratching" around for remedial actions from this "catastrophe". I have spoken to ***** and he is "feline" fine now.

Also had one in the past "Meter reader bitten by dog while trying to attract farm owner"

I can see this thread developing.......

Regards,

Nick
Admin  
#11 Posted : 13 February 2002 10:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Dodson
- - then there was the accident form from the teacher who "fell off school roof whilst demonstrating the effects of gravity"
Admin  
#12 Posted : 13 February 2002 12:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zyggy Turek
I hope that I am not lowering the tone, but....

I investigated an incident where an employee was exposed to a slight release of natural gas in the open air.

When I visited him at home his wife informed me that on the evening of the incident they went out in the car & he started passing wind.

However,it was not his "normal wind", but as you would find if you had left a pilot light unlit on a gas cooker!

I immediately saw the commercial prospects, but unfortunately all the baked bean manufacturers would not back the project!

Zyggy.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 14 February 2002 10:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede
If this is what your organisations employees get paid to do can you send me an application form?
Admin  
#14 Posted : 14 February 2002 11:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Dutton
Looking at the responses has brightened a bad day. I hope I do not get struck off for this one, but an engineer had an accident whilst fixing the aerial on the works transit van. It sprang back and hit him in the privates. He spent a week off sick with vanaerial disease.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 14 February 2002 11:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster
Report received regarding a patient who was found, laughing, lying on the floor at the side of his bed. Seems he had recently had a leg amputated and had forgotten!

Then another from a theatre nurse after a consultant surgeon received a burn whilst performing diathermy "the burn was, unfortunately, only minor"

Community nurse struck a pheasant on the road, and was advised to fill in an incident report (not, I add, by me)

Person Affected:
Name:Pheasant
Sex: Male
Damage/Injury: Death
First Aid: Resuscitation not attempted
Witnesses: Two other pheasants

Her manager queried why there was no report of the vehicle damage (or why the bird had not been brought back for dinner).
Admin  
#16 Posted : 14 February 2002 16:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Maggie Atterbury
Thanks all of you for brightening what was avery dull day. I would like to contribute my favourite which was not on an accident form but on Violent Incident report from a teacher: "the intruder walked away from me down the corridor and ignored me in a threatening way".

Maggie Atterbury
Admin  
#17 Posted : 14 February 2002 17:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Younger
Dont worry, look on the bright side, if the HSE try to prosecute, they will have to prove the existence of vampires,could be interesting! I once investigatd an accident in which a young gentleman decided to wash his new trainers with a high pressure power hose, thats right I said a high pressure power hose. Got his trainers clean, but did not do a great deal for its contents (poached foot) ouch!..........

or my present dilemna, accident with a phone, see osh chat site

Peter Younger
Admin  
#18 Posted : 15 February 2002 09:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment
Another laugh - couple of weeks ago had to investigate a visitor who was hit by a fairly fresh pigeon carcass that fell out of the sky. Resulted in shock, broken glasses, broken nose, feathers all over her and a ruined coat.
Pest control operatives (young and larking about) clearing dead pigeons from a nearby roof and one of 'em decided to throw this dead'un at his oppo, who dodged it. BASE jumping dead pigeon left 4 storey roof hit her square in the face .
Have the complaint and the incident form - now awaiting the claim!

Couple of others from my past....
"hit by cupboard that fell off wall...only put up yesterday but her screws weren't long enough"......
"slipped on sandwich" and under name of assailant "M & S Chicken Tikka sandwich"
Typo following a bath incident "nature of injury - burnt bullocks"
Admin  
#19 Posted : 15 February 2002 12:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By steve williamson
Sorry to set a new benchmark, but whilst needlestick incidents are by no means funny how often have I seen reports from nurses who have reached under Mr ***'s bedclothes and felt a prick in their hand? Please, think before you write!
Admin  
#20 Posted : 15 February 2002 12:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zyggy Turek
Further to my previous response I also remember when contractors were painting a gas holder when a can of "empty" paint hit the windscreen of a passing car.

When asked if they had a safe system of work for disposing of empty cans the foreman insisted that indeed they did.

He then explained that before he threw the can down...he whistled!

So, it was obviously the drivers fault for having his radio on or not having his window open.