Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 April 2002 14:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Newman We issue an internal H&S News Bulletin for our managers 3 times a year, most of the items are short information items re accidents that have happened and chages to Policy and procedures etc. But it can be a bit heavy so we try to add a short more light hearted item/joke, to each one but we are struggling to think of any. Does anyone know a reliable source or have some good ones they would not mind passing on to us. We are local govt by the way. Thanks in anticipation.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 April 2002 14:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Petrie This one made me laugh A man in a hot air balloon realized he was lost. He reduced altitude and spotted a woman below. He descended a bit more and shouted, "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don't know where I am." The woman below replied, "You're in a hot air balloon hovering approximately 30 feet above the ground. You're between 40 and 41 degrees north latitude and between 59 and 60 degrees west longitude." "You must be an engineer," said the balloonist. "I am," replied the woman, "How did you know?" "Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you told me is, technically correct, but I've no idea what to make of your information, and the fact is I'm still lost. Frankly, you've not been much help at all. If anything, you've delayed my trip." The woman below responded, "You must be in Management." "I am," replied the balloonist, "but how did you know?" "Well," said the woman, "you don't know where you are or where you're going. You have risen to where you are - due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise which you've no idea how to keep, and you expect people beneath you to solve your problems. The fact is you are in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but now, somehow, it's my fault."
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 April 2002 15:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Karen, Try www.tedgoff.com for some safety related cartoons. Regards, Nick
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 April 2002 17:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster CONSUMER PRODUCT LABELLING In case you needed further proof that the Human Race is doomed through stupidity, here are some actual label instructions from various international consumer products. Clearly there are still obstacles to be overcome if we want to provide clear and comprehensible Health & Safety information with consumer products......... On a blanket from Taiwan; NOT TO BE USED AS PROTECTION FROM A TORNADO. On a helmet mounted mirror used by American cyclists; REMEMBER, OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR ARE ACTUALLY BEHIND YOU. On a Taiwanese shampoo; USE REPEATEDLY FOR SEVERE DAMAGE. On the bottle top of a British flavoured milk drink; AFTER OPENING, KEEP UPRIGHT. On a New Zealand insect spray; THIS PRODUCT NOT TESTED ON ANIMALS. In an American guide to setting up a new computer; TO AVOID CONDENSATION FORMING, ALLOW THE BOXES TO WARM UP TO ROOM TEMPERATURE BEFORE OPENING. (sensible, but the instruction was INSIDE the box) On a packet of American Sun maid raisins; WHY NOT TRY TOSSING OVER YOUR FAVOURITE BREAKFAST CEREAL? why not, indeed! On an American Sears hairdryer; DO NOT USE WHILE SLEEPING. On a bag of American Fritos Corn Chips; YOU COULD BE A WINNER! NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. DETAILS INSIDE (a shoplifters special?) On Tesco's Tiramisu dessert (printed on the bottom) DO NOT TURN UPSIDE DOWN. (too late! you loose!) On a Korean kitchen knife; WARNING: KEEP OUT OF CHILDREN. On a string of Chinese-made Christmas lights; FOR INDOOR OR OUTDOOR USE ONLY. On a Japanese food processor; NOT TO BE USED FOR THE OTHER USE On Sainsbury's peanuts; WARNING - THIS PRODUCT MAY CONTAIN NUTS. On an American Airlines packet of nuts; INSTRUCTIONS - OPEN PACKET, EAT NUTS. On a Swedish chainsaw; DO NOT ATTEMPT TO STOP CHAIN WITH YOUR HANDS OR GENITALS. (what kind of feedback lead to this warning?) On a Canadian child's Superman costume; WEARING OF THIS GARMENT DOES NOT ENABLE YOU TO FLY. On some British frozen dinners; SERVING SUGGESTION : DEFROST. On a hotel shower cap in a box; FITS ONE HEAD. With a Rowenta iron; DO NOT IRON CLOTHES ON BODY. On Boots "Children's" cough medicine; DO NOT DRIVE OR OPERATE MACHINERY. On British Nytol Sleep Aid Tablets label; WARNING: MAY CAUSE DROWSINESS. On Marks & Spencer Bread Pudding; PRODUCT WILL BE HOT AFTER HEATING.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 01 May 2002 09:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie This is one my own, which I put in our own house magazine "Recent research suggests that stress is greatest in graduates earning more that £20K. Accordingly, in line with management's committment to reducing stress levels, any member of staff falling into this category will have their salary reduced to £19,999 with effect from 1 April." Believe it or not there were protests! Laurie
Admin  
#6 Posted : 01 May 2002 13:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Cooper Karen, Being as you are asking for lighthearted items from a H&S website perhaps you could use one with a safety flavour. I used this in my monthly in-house safety newsletter recently: I HEAR BUT DON'T LISTEN! Issuing verbal safety instructions is best done in a simple basic manner. Clarity is essential and checking for understanding should always follow. This is to make sure that everyone knows what is expected of them. If this is not done then there is a chance that things may go wrong and an accident may occur. However, we should never forget human behaviour and it does not always follow that people will react accordingly. Hence the announcement by a tube train driver in London recently as his train was about to leave the platform: "The man in the grey overcoat trying to board at the second carriage - What part of "Keep clear of the doors" don't you understand?" Frank Cooper
Admin  
#7 Posted : 01 May 2002 14:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe McNicholas Karen, Try these. Some are quite good...others pretty poor http://www.darwinawards.com/ http://www.comedy-zone.net/jokes/work.htm http://esf.uvm.edu/sirippt/humor.html Regards Joe
Admin  
#8 Posted : 01 May 2002 22:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Penny Found this on an Australian H&S website a few months ago "credit to the original poster" Reminds me of a recording made by Gilbert Harding in the early 60's (I think that was the name). As a former brickie I still find it amusing every time I read it. This is a bricklayer's accident actual (verbatim) report, which was printed in the newsletter of the Australian equivalent of the Workers' Compensation board. This is a true story. Had this bloke died, he'd have received a Darwin Award without question... Dear Sir "I am writing in response to your request for additional information in Block 3 of the accident report form. I put "poor planning" as the cause of my accident. You asked for a fuller explanation and I trust the following details will be sufficient. I am a bricklayer by trade. On the day of the accident, I was working alone on the roof of a new six-story building. When I completed my work, I found that I had some bricks left over which, when weighed later were found to be slightly in excess of 500 lbs. Rather than carry the bricks down by hand. I decided to lower them in a barrel by using a pulley, which was attached to the side of the building on the sixth floor. Securing the rope at ground level, I went up to the roof, swung the barrel out and loaded the bricks into it. Then I went down and untied the rope, holding it tightly to ensure a slow descent of the bricks. You will note in Block 11 of the accident report form that I weigh 135lbs. Due to my surprise at being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I proceeded at a rapid rate up the side of the building. In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel, which was now proceeding downward at an equally, mpressive speed. This explained the fractured skull, minor abrasions and the broken collar bone, as listed in section 3 of the accident report form. Slowed only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until the fingers of my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley. Fortunately by this time I had regained my presence of mind and was able to hold tightly to the rope, in spite of beginning to experience a great deal of pain. At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of bricks hit the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel. Now devoid of the weight of the bricks, that barrel weighed approximately 50 lbs. I refer you again to my weight. As you can imagine, I began a rapid descent, down the side of the building. In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for the two fractured ankles, broken tooth and several lacerations of my legs and lower body. Here my luck began to change slightly. The encounter with the barrel seemed to slow me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell into the pile of bricks and fortunately only three vertebrae were cracked. I am sorry to report, however, as I lay there on the pile of bricks, in pain, unable to move, I again lost my composure and presence of mind and let go of the rope and I lay there watching the empty barrel begin its journey back down onto me. This explains the two broken legs. I hope this answers your inquiry."
Admin  
#9 Posted : 02 May 2002 08:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart Message for Frank Penny and others who might be interested. Frank, The Bricklayer is an old piece dating back to 1958 and was and I believe still is the property of Gerard HOFFNUNG, now his Airs and successors. It has been much recounted around the world in many languages and in many variations on the theme. However, the original as I said belongs to Gerard Hoffnung and was perhaps most famously presented by him in "An Address to The Oxford Union" On the same occassion he also delivered a piece on correspondence between a potential customer and a European hotelier, perhaps the forerunner of "The Package Tour" Fortunately for Posterity this Oxford Union debate was recorded by The BBC and Audio tapes with the original are still available. I first used this piece as a very young Safety Officer in Edinburgh at a Building Foremans Social evening where we also presented some Safety Information - 1962 to be precise and the purpose was to bring to the attention of our Contract managers and Foreman the existance of The Construction (General Provisions) Regulations 1961, now of course repealed. (And here I am some 40 years later still promoting The Safety Message in the Construction Industry.) For those who might be interested see the following. It was in 1953 that Hoffnung was first invited to speak in a Debate at the Cambridge Union. Alistair Sampson, then President of the Union later wrote of this visit: 'Gerard came and gave one of the most superb comic oratoric performances that the Union can ever have heard. Devoid of cruelty' and vulgarity', it was a superb example of pure humour. He was enchanting, fascinating and tumultuous. One moment he was offering snuff to his undergraduate audience, the next he was touching the microphone and leaping back as though electrocuted ........So it is that others may remember him as musician, conversationalist or cartoonist, but I think of him as a speaker. He had all the graces for which those who analyse good speaking look - sympathy, observation, style and masses of audibility. He felt very deeply about manv aspects of social and political life, but always at the back of his mind was the desire to keep the world sane with laughter.' The local newspaper said of another visit, "He was funnier than anyone has been at the Union before." Unfortunately none of the visits made to the Cambridge Union was recorded, but in 1958 he spoke in a Debate at the Oxford Union which was, by great good fortune, recorded by the BBC. His speech was subsequently issued on disc in 1960 and continues on sale to this day. In it he relates the famous story of the Bricklayer which remains a classic. BBC Audio Cassettes: Hoffnung, a Last Encore "Standing among savage scenery, the hotel offers stupendous revelations. There is a French widow in every bedroom, affording delightful prospects." On two cassettes, each lasting 1 hour, this contains all the recordings of Hoffnung made by the BBC and preserved in their archives. They include the famous and hilariously funny Bricklayer story. This is a must for all Hoffnung enthusiasts. For more on Hoffnung and his Cartoons, Speeches, Books and Music etc., see the undernoted web site http://www.musicweb.uk.net/hoffnung/index.htm Regards. Ken Urquhart
Admin  
#10 Posted : 05 May 2002 17:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Charleston An interesting postscript to Ken Urquhart's posting on this topic: The radio programme "Quote/Unquote" today on Radio 4 (Sunday) referred to this very piece and said that they had received a letter from a chap who could show that Hoffnung had based his story on an original piece of journalism in the Manchester Chronicle. Apparently he has kept an old newspaper cutting of it from the mid-1950's ever since! The only puzzle is whether the "mid-1950's" would refer to the first or second visit to the Oxford Union that Ken mentioned. I don't know .... but what a co-incidence that the item was included in the brief extract that I heard from this radio programme. Mike
Admin  
#11 Posted : 08 May 2002 15:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Bullough Looking at one of the earlier responses about the clarity of information on products reminded me of a painter I met some years ago during COSHH related work. He believed that the description of some paints as "low odour" meant that their solvent vapour was heavier than air and thus would accumulate as an invisible pool on the floor around his feet while he was using such paints! When I suggested that the term actually meant that the paints contained lower than normal proportions of solvent, he was sceptical and reckoned that they were just as smelly and noxious as paints with ordinary amounts of solvent.