Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 June 2002 20:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Sargeant
I would be interested in views anyone may have re: the anchoring of fall arrest harnesses worn by scaffolders during erection/dismantling of the scaffold. The SG4 guidance issued by the National Access and Scaffold Confederation, is as far as I am aware an approved safe system of work by the HSE, and states clearly that scaffold standards should not be used as anchor points for harnesses, but I have come across safety clamps (essentially a scaffold coupler which is bolted on, and provides an eye to hook your harness), which are designed to be used specifically on the standard of the scaffold. I have spoken to the clamp manufactures who say thier product is tested and safe to use, and am awaiting written proof, and I have written to the people who produce the SG4 notes, who say they are aware of the existance of clamps but have not recieved suitable data to encourage the use, but is being considered for later versions of the guidance SG4.
So I am left a little confused, any views or comments would be appreciated. Should I use these clamps or ignore until 100% approved???
Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 June 2002 08:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
Graham
I presume the statement about standards was made because of the precise nature of the tests carried out by Newcastle University - I would ask your local HSE inspector to identify who precisely at Newcastle undertook the work. You are then in a position to e-mail that person and ask the question as to why standards were specifically excluded. It may be nothing to do with strength but the likelihood that the harness attachment tends to then be at foot not waist level. If it is this latter case then these clamps would seem to eliminate the problem if properly secured.

Happy hunting and who knows this might be seen at Newcastle and a response made to the benefit of us all.

Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 June 2002 18:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Thanks for your reply, I have today recieved in the post details from the clamps manufactures of the tests made, and it shows to my mind beyond doubt the clamp itself is well constructed and will withstand being used in a fall arrest situation, one of the tests was made dropping 100kg attached to a clamp anchored 2mtr from a coupling point on the scaffold tube, interestingly enough the clamp withstood the test, but the scaffold tube had a 6 degree bend after testing.
I don't think there is any problem with quality of the clamp, but my point of worry still remains the practice of clamping to scaffold standards.
Any views or comments???
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 June 2002 21:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Fisher
Graham

My understanding of scaffold design is that all loads should pass through the "node" point and certainly within 300mm of such a point. In the absence of NASC Guidance, (and until they give a definative statement) I would consider attaching a clamp within 300mm of standard/ledger/transom etc intersection - if that means taking the clip below the scaffolder (ensuring the lanyard etc are properly set up)so be it.

Other considerations on non clip and tube scaffolds would be a) to "lock" the two sections together to prevent springing on shock loading and b) to tie in if necessary for the same reason.

Dennis Hands (CITB) may have a view on this thinking, which I would welcome.

Regards
Bill
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 June 2002 05:54:00(UTC)
Admin

I confirmed with NASC that anchoring a harness at foot level, although they agree is not the best method, is aceptable if you are unable to anchor at a higher point (again they reinforced the use of a standard as an anchor is not suitable). The demonstration material I recieved with the clamps in question show them being used specifically at a height of about 2mtr from the board level (ie: just about head height). As I pointed out, I am convinced the clamp will withstand the use as a fall arrest device, but if used in this manner I feel it could have an adverse effect on the scaffold structure itself, what do you think?
Look forward to your views.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 01 July 2002 08:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
I am amazed that no one from Newcastle has yet replied as they did the research and recommendations on which the HSE acted. It is end of term though. Certainly the bending forces are a problem but as Bill states if you stay within the 500 from a node then this is a minor problem. I think the other problem may when traverses are required as such a clamp will give a two metre radius for work at best. Of course you could use them to give running line fixing points, you then however enter the problems of calculating the SWL for a horizontal line fixed at each end, the same as is met with the angle on slings. A competent scaffold designer should be able to do this however.

Bob

Bob