Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 July 2002 17:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood Has anyone got any contacts who supply high quality leadership training to managers who are delegated to manage H&S? These managers are usually very good at managing their business but less good at managing the care of their people and their H&S standards, due to the usual challenges of communication, job pressure, lack of leadership etc. Hopefully, I can find some people who can stimulate our leaders and managers to help deliver a step change in H&S performance, and work in partnership with my company to move forward to excellence. I am building a database of providers who may fit the bill and I have the IOSH provider's list, but personal recommendations are always much better! Many thanks in anticipation, George
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 July 2002 11:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis George I've e-mailed you some thoughts. As a general comment this is an area relatively short of high quality training and I am interested to see what responses appear here. As you realise I have been through the system and it can be as a massive boost to empowerment or a switch off as pie in the sky. I believe strongly that managers must believe that they are able to do something before they will actually do it Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 July 2002 12:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram George, The UK offshore industry generated a Safety Leadership model as part of the 'Step Change' initiative, which is available via the Step Change website http//step.steel-sci.org (you have to register but it's free). In their definition the phrase applies to everyone, not just formal leaders, and a number of organisations developed courses aligned with that 10-element model, several are very innovative and can be used for 'diagonal slice' training - though they can be expensive. I am involved with one provider, their 2-day Safety Leadership course is aimed at managers & supervisors who have had some previous management training, rather than the whole workforce. The course is based on case studies, some are general, but some are deliberately specific to the offshore industry, so would have to be adapted for other sectors. Contact me if you would like more details.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 July 2002 10:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis George As Ian states and my e-mails to you agree there is not huge amounts of expertise available except in the petro-chem industry but the elements of leadership are universal as are the the walkthrough methodologies and techniques. I would go with the diagonal slicing for training and you will need to train internal managers to train if the campaign and step change is to be successful Bob
Admin  
#5 Posted : 22 July 2002 13:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood I have seen no advertising yet but have had a few good responses, all of which I am following up. Thanks to those resondees above and more are welcome! Most of the improvement process is simply hard work but having a good programme helps managers focus! George
Admin  
#6 Posted : 23 July 2002 15:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ethne D'Arcy George I am glad that you have been provided with our Course Provider list. IOSH cannot recommend individuals as this would be deemed as advertising or even favouritism. However all our course providers do have to fulfil certain criteria before they are awarded a licence and the course co-ordinators carry out validation visits to ensure standards are met. Ethne
Admin  
#7 Posted : 23 July 2002 16:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Hutchings Dear George, At DNV (Det Norske Veritas) we provide various set and tailor made safety and risk management courses for all levels of management from site to executive board. Please feel free to e-mail or contact me. You can also take a look at the website www.dnv.com. Regards, Ian Hutchings DNV Consulting
Admin  
#8 Posted : 24 July 2002 14:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis One problem though Ian if I read George correctly he is not looking for risk assessment and risk management courses. He is I think looking to a complete cultural shift in organisational thinking with regards to Health and Safety. Thus my comment that such training is thin on the ground with regards to providers. It is a management and organisation philosophy that we are looking at. One in which all parties recognise their interdependency on each other. I am not meaning to be cynical or unkind but risk assessment providers are 10 a penny and can be found in every region. I personally feel that George is going to find that the move will need a total concerted effort and support from all main board directors before it will really begin to move and this is not easily achieved - I know of only 2 potential providers in this area at a personal level and would be most interested to see who else can be found. Bob
Admin  
#9 Posted : 24 July 2002 15:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Hutchings Robert, I agree with what you are saying. I mentioned risk management in the context of overall risk to the enterprise, this is not as basic as risk assessment. I am coming from the angle of assisting an organisation from the board as the lead to understanding a complete holistic approach. This would include not just internal risk but external such as political, environmental and socio-economic factors. I do not really believe that all this can be gained from just training courses. What is required is a complete programme of approach and an understanding of the organisations behaviours. People shouldn't be too down hearted, as this can be possible with the correct approach. This has been proved on several occassions and evidenced. I wish George good luck in his search for a solution. I wouldn't want to advertise anymore but you are welcome to e-mail me directly. Thanks Ian
Admin  
#10 Posted : 24 July 2002 15:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Having been audited by your people when working at a well known oil company redevelopment I have no doubts about your particular abilities to offer some of the necessary training!!! The real issues come in gaining whole hearted committment from all employees and directors. Bob
Admin  
#11 Posted : 24 July 2002 15:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Nothing wrong with those who have advertised in response to George's original posting. Quote from the Discussion Forum's Acceptable Use Guidelines..... It is acceptable for course providers and product suppliers to give basic contact details in response to a request for information about specific courses and/ or products. This is rather different from eg DNV posting a message setting out the services they offer. DuPont also do this high level safety culture type training, and link it directly to the bottom line. Regards, Peter
Admin  
#12 Posted : 24 July 2002 17:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood I am heartened by all the responses to this thread and thank all those contributors - I could even succumb to a wee bit of advertising from one or two! I also have had a number of private email contacts and am alreadys setting up my first meeting. Risk assessment does come in to this in a way but it is really corporate risk management I am thinking of and the role H&S has to play in excellent governance and 'people care' standards. So most of the very good providers will be senior managers either practicing in a related H&S Business or retired from the mainstream industrial role and consulting. Everyone is right in a sense when they say you need the top commitment of the Board and senior managers but this is the hard bit as they think they can state strategy and then expect line managers to deliver under additional pressure! A definite culture shift has to be driven first, where managers realise that this (H&S) issue won't go away and it will become as accountable for as finance etc. so they will have to plan as effectively for it. That won't stop them being bitter in some cases and taking it out on their staff so the essence of care for staff has to be also suffused through the organisation, together with a 'no blame' culture, where failings are shared and lessons genuinely learned. You will have realised by now that my problem is a large one, where significant budget may be allocated to deal with the step change and that means I need providers that can find resources of a specific agreed standard to help deliver the programme. Our managers will then manage their own devised programmes after that and so on, creating genuine continual improvement. Anyway, I think I may be making a start and we should have a plan by September. Watch this space! Thanks again, George