Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 September 2002 11:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone
Heres a question-We know legionella can be found in water systems, and ponds etc, but what is the chance of it being transmitted by rain? We have rain water collection system and wondering about the potential for risk
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 September 2002 12:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
Ian

I do not know whether legionella can be found in rain but, since the disease is caught by inhaling infected droplets, I surmise that the risk to the populace will be very low as rain is not often inhaled.

Paul Leadbetter
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 September 2002 12:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charles New
I am no expert however I think that the risk from rain is likely to be minimal. The risk, however, from stored rain water will be higher and be dependant on the method of storage (covered or uncovered tank), and the conditions of storage. (ie temperature range). The level of risk will also depend on what the water is used for - watering the garden the risk will be low, for showering under the risk will be higher.

I also think that the hazards presented by cryptosporidium and possibly e-coli 0157 should also be considered if the tanks are uncovered and if the water is to be used for personal hygiene purposes.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 September 2002 14:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Wilkins
I would think the risk would be negligable. Legionella bacteria don't multiply at temperatures below 20C and you are probably not forming fine droplets with the rainwater.

See http://www.awwa.org/science/sun/qom/qom1000.cfm for a brief summary of legionella control.

Simon