Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 October 2002 12:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Greg Burgess
Hi Everyone,

Some advice needed please.
Does anyone have any information, opinion, policy etc. on the above as I have heard differing opinions over there effectiveness. We are considering using them in care homes, day centres etc. as they are far cheaper that electromagnetic type hold open devices. But is it a case of you get what you pay for?

Thanks in advance

Greg
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 October 2002 16:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John D Crosby
Greg
I have used these successfully in schools but it must be remembered that the doors cannot be held back all the time by these devices as they can cause the fire door to twist and hence on closing no seal is made to prevent the heat/smoke from travelling. If you want to have the doors open for short periods then these are a good alternative to the magnetic version and somewhat cheaper

John C

Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 October 2002 16:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jerry Sanderson
We have also used these in certain situations.I was recently discussing these with fire prevention officers and their view was that they were ok where the alarm was linked to automatic heat and smoke detection.They were less than keen on them when used in conjunction with the traditional "smash glass to operate" fire alarm system as they held open fire doors which could lead to smoke logging of areas prior to anyone discovering a fire and operating the alarm.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 October 2002 17:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
There are concerns about these among the fire safety profession on such matters as proximity of sounders, effectiveness of fitting, protrusion and vulnerability to damage, battery life, etc. You could have a look at old postings on the FireNet Forum (http://www.globalcrisiscenter.com/BBSFire/index.php) or try asking your question again there.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 14 October 2002 17:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Bullough
During a recent discussion with a senior fire officer regarding fire precautions in schools, I asked about these devices as they are cheaper and clearly quicker to fit than magnetic catch devices wired into the alarm system. I recall that he (and presumably his colleagues) were not keen on them as there was some doubt about their reliability. From other sources, I understand that the devices need to be reasonably near a fire bell to receive sufficient sound energy to activate them.

Last week I saw an alternative to the wall mounted magnetic catch device. It comprises a variation of the normal sprung arm closing device mounted between the top of a fire door and the lintel above. The door can be pushed back so that the device will hold the door open instead of closing it. However, the box containing the spring and/or hydraulic ram for the device is electrically linked (initially by cable in a flexible armoured sheath) to the fire alarm system, so that if the alarm activates, it allows the door closer to operate. Does anybody know the generic name for this type of device, any specific maker/s and trade names, and a rough idea of cost and reliability compared with the magnetic catch device?

The advantage of having smoke detectors linked to the fire alarm system as a quicker means of detecting fire without relying on humans applies equally no matter what type of hold/release device is fitted to fire doors.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 14 October 2002 17:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft
We have used these successfully in certain areas. The type that we have will respond to any continuous sound above 65db that lasts for longer than 12 seconds, so they don't release if someone talks very loud. They also fail to safety if the battery power is low, i.e. they release the door. There does have to be some control checks in place though, for example, they should not be left open for long periods like overnight. They do stop people using the fire extingushers to wedge doors open though and that has the added advantage of reducing the amount memos that I have to send, which in turn reduces the amount of fuel in manager's in trays
Admin  
#7 Posted : 15 October 2002 09:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Lucas
Greg

We have some like those mentioned by Ian however we also have the type that self-close to the fire alarm that are recommended by the Emergency Services - give us a call if you want the details.

0797-7124016.

Ken
Admin  
#8 Posted : 15 October 2002 10:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment
Graham
The type you mention are made by most of the closer/alarm companies - Briton, Dorma, Yale, Stanley etc.

In my hospital they are known by Estates as Arrow electromagnetic door closers, presumably because a company called Arrow makes them!.

They are reasonably reliable - the only problems I encounter are where people have forced them further back than their normal/set position This exerts extra pressure on the hydraulic seals which then break down over time and allow oil to leak out. The doors then tend to 'creep' shut.

They are approx £700 per door to fit.

As regards the DorGard holders, I've had these fitted in schools and colleges and in this hospital with no problems at all. A routine annual battery change is required for all units so it's done en masse. As for twisting doors, I'm not so sure. I've never seen evidence of this and if true this would also affect any other closer/holder that is not mounted on the middle edge of a door. There are limitations of course , but on the whole they've been a very cheap and beneficial addition to this Trust's fire prevention strategy and will continue to be used in certain applications.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 15 October 2002 10:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment
Just as an aside to my last post I've also used a large number of DoorDwells which have been well received by all staff.

These littles suckers (literally!)hold a fire door open for a set time, allowing people to pass through with patients, trollies, stores etc without doing the fandango and sustaining strain injuries. After the set period (10-30secs) the door releases.

Another little, cheap invention that fills a niche.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 18 October 2002 12:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Greg Burgess
Everyone,

I have been out of the office for a while so have only just picked up the responses the thread I posted. Thanks to everyone who either sent me a reply directly or postsed a response on the site. There is some really usefull information for me to go through. Thanks again, the help is appreciated.

Greg
Admin  
#11 Posted : 21 October 2002 11:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Fox.
Hi Greg,
Our company hads had several of these battery operated devices fitted to office doors, for long term evaluation. They are supplied by a company called Doorgaurd and retail at approximately £70.00 each.
The ones in our company have been installed for about 18 months and have performed very well. They are however a little slow to respond to the Alarm bell, but they always work and the batteries seem to last a long time. The only difficulty is that fitting is a little critical where the floor covering is carpeted or the floor is uneven.
If you want any more advice please e-mail.
Regards,
Graham Fox.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 23 October 2002 14:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne
Bryn,
Where do you get the DoorDwells from? They sound useful.
Diane
Admin  
#13 Posted : 23 October 2002 15:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
'Doordwells' have also been discussed recently on the FireNet Forum (http://www.globalcrisiscenter.com/BBSFire/index.php). I suggest that people have a look at this before deciding whether to purchase items of this type.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 24 October 2002 15:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment
Ken
I think you've been skim reading like Banjo!!
The advertising blurb for DoorDwells states "ten seconds to one minute" a lot shorter than the ten minutes you mentioned on Firenet.

Diane, the link should take you through to the company:-

http://www.cairney.com/html/doordwell.htm.

There are a lot of misconceptions on the Firenet thread. These devices do NOT hold a door open continually. They are a simple, effective device that enable staff who have to negotiate doors to do it without giving themselves a hernia or dislocation.

We've all seen what I mean - the handyman pushing a sack barrow through a door whilst holding door and manouevring trolley; porter attempting, with alarming dexterity, to propel 3 stone bed with 15 stone patient through double doors. This device enables them to have the FRSC door held temporarily whilst they breeze through without the wrestling. They can then go on their merry way and the door closes within a minute. This is preferable to the handyman, porter etc wedging the door with the BS wooden wedge

I have personally advised their fitting in 3 colleges and 1/2 dozen schools, a local authority and University Hospital Lewisham. Also seen them in other LAs (Bromley,Bexley). I will continue to use them as part of any fire protection strategy because they very definitely have their uses.

Perhaps the aversion is due to their simplicity and the fact that someone had their kid shoot them with a sucker gun and is now making a shedload of money out of it......whereas we didn't and aren't!

Admin  
#15 Posted : 29 October 2002 09:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
Perhaps we have been looking at different advertising blurb. The original question from Greg referred to 'acoustically-operated hold-open devices (eg Dorguard) about which there are pros and cons and some concerns among the fire community. These have been discussed earlier on the FireNet Forum. The 'Doordwell' temporary hold-open devices were mentioned later in the thread and I had previously asked about these on FireNet having received an unsolicited e-mail advertising them. As the tone of the discussion on this Forum was tending to favour such devices, I felt it advisable to let readers know of the apprehensions among people working in fire safety and then to suggest that they consider these in order to assist with making decisions about purchase. I would tend to suspect that expressed concerns are more about preventing fire spread from FR compartments than jealousy.

From my point of view, I would much prefer to see tried, tested and approved magnetic door holders operated by the building's fire alarm/detection system than add-ons needing to hear an adjacent alarm sounder.
Admin  
#16 Posted : 29 October 2002 10:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack
You'll probably find your Fire Authority has a view on these acoustically operated devices. Check with them. In my area they initially had reservations but now accept them in 'non critical' locations. They have issued advice on where they are not appropriate.

I'm not familiar with dordwells. I came across some devices with suction pads in the late 70s which were used to delay fire doors closing. Are these the same? I seem to recall an incident when a resident with a zimmer frame was going through a door held open by such a device (slowly) when it closed on her with serious consequencies. Use immediately discontinued in that organisation.

Jack
Admin  
#17 Posted : 29 October 2002 14:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment
The point I'm trying to make is that these devices do have a place in the overall fire safety strategy and such use has been cleared by our local brigade. They never will be as perfect as the 'proper job' electromagnetic types but many organisations, particularly in the public sector cannot afford £800+ per door. These devices, if their minor limitations are recognised, fulfil a very useful role.

BTW the example of the Zimmer is commonly pushed forward but in my hospital we've had 3 fractures in 4 years when the electromagnetic holders released the doors during fire alarm checks. We would be foolish to remove them and the subsequent claims failed.
Admin  
#18 Posted : 30 October 2002 08:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack
I agree with you Bryn. My point about the zimmer was in relation to the 70s sucker devices which would release a door without warning everytime it was held back, unlike these devices which only release the door when the alarm sounded. I wouldn't even go so far as to say they (the suction devices)should never be used; simply that the issue is addressed in the risk assessment.