Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2003 20:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By KENNETH WOOD I currently work in a Food Factory and have been asked what the frequency is for the testing of the electrical installations on site. Can anyone give me some advice on this matter. K. Wood
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 January 2003 08:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack You need BS 7671 Requirements for electrical installations. I think the frequency in 5 yearly, but check the standard.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 January 2003 09:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Bellis BS 7671 (732-01-01) - states that Initial verification needs to be carried out on electrical installations being first put into service and inpections carried out thereafter and tests to verify. Any alterations or additions to an installation should similarily be verified to comply with regulations. With regard to periodic testing - BS only says the frequency of inspecting and testing of an installation shall be determined by the type of installation its use and operation, the frequency of maintenance and the external influences to which it is subjected. It sounds a bit like the HSE guidance to risk assess everything without giving any concrete periods etc.. however the IEE 16th Edition regs give a general rule of thumb guidance of ...periods not exceeding Domestic installations - 10 years Commercial installations - 5 years Industrial installations - 3 years Leisure complexes - 1year Temporary sites ie construction sites etc - 3 months however again shorter intervals are recommended dependant on the nature of activities and installation. hope this helps Paul