Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 March 2003 15:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston We have been advise that "all crane operators will probably need to be LOLER certified", however I can find no mention of certification within LOLER or PUWER. Anyone any idea where the "certification" comes from, or any accredited training courses. I am looking mainly at cranes on the back of lorries. Shane
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 March 2003 23:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Anthony Slinger Shane, I have come across this problem at work where by crane companies would only hire cranes to us if we had an appointed person to plan and supervise the lift. (as per BS 2171)if we could not supply then they would be happy to do so at £800 per day!! I interprit this as a condition of hire and not of legislation (as reg 8 LOLER requires only competent persons and not appointed), however, our procurement department seem to think it is legal and a number "appointed persons" have been trained to plan lifts with cranes and also HIABS. I am not one to disagree with additional training, but does this seem to be unneccessary or a matter of continual improvement? Please see my previous post 22.11.02 Anthony Slinger.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 March 2003 08:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis It is a moot point about the precise meaning of reg 8 LOLER but I think the general emphasis is towards the type of person identified in the BS. It is also not clear in the regs themselves that the role has also to be about co-ordination of the various lifting operations that are occurring at any one time in an area. I have raised the question of training before and had some replies on the courses available. I would again make the point that the person intended in 8.a is not the signaller/slinger - these fall more into requirements of 8.b/c it is all to easy to be talked into the trap of being talked into a signaller/slinger course. My belief is firmly that the competent person must be able to select the appropriate equipment for the lifts in question, assess the ground, assess the method statements and control the liaison of contractors. Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 March 2003 09:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Bob, This is not an area I profess to have much knowledge, obviously you seem well genned up. Are you saying there is a need for two people one competent to 8a and also a signaller & slinger. I’ve been reading the information on http://www.simonjones.org.uk that discusses the death of a chap killed by a crane. This site suggests his death was partly due to the crane driver and signaller not understanding one another.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 18 March 2003 09:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Yes it is what I think I am saying depending on which day it is, which site manager I am trying to get thru to and whether there is a Sheffield Flood - but these are other stories. They could be combined in one person but are not the same function as I am afraid many training organisations seem to think. In my view the competent person has a technical role which does match the crane co-ordinator role of the BS - but it is wider in that ALL lifting equipment is included. I look for a technical background first and then train. The signaller/slinger role is a trade role, I do not mean that disparagingly, and requires a hands on practical expertise. If you think about it - who is best able to assess ground bearing capacity, check mat size calculations under outrigger feet etc? - The answer is generally an engineer or a person able to get an engineer. The 8.a person is therefore a management/senior supervisory role in my view at least.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 18 March 2003 20:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Anthony Slinger I certanly agree with Bob, for long enough operators of small mobile cranes on site, for example, are asked "can you lift that to there, mate?" and when things go pear shaped, nobody is ultimately responsible. A competent person other than the rigger and crane operator should plan, conduct and supervise any lift. What I am saying is that the supervisor may be competent by the virtues of all the attributes that Bob suggests without neccessarly being qualified as an "Appointed person" although it would be proof of such competence.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 19 March 2003 10:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis It is the employer who appoints and therefore if a person has the attributes it is the employers decision to appoint them to the task. I feel that the push by crane operators is towards "contract" lifts where they undertake the work from start to finish - and all responsibility devolves to them in this situation. I am not convinced that they could take on this responsibility, or would wish to do so, where there is a range of other lifting operations occurring within the area. This is where their arguments fall down - I cannot have two appointed persons controlling lifting operations as the overall management then fails. The other problem currently is that CITB are actively working on changes to the CSCS, CTA and NPORS schemes to unify them into a single card. NPORS,National Plant Operative Registration Scheme, have a Crane Co-ordinators syllabus but the placing of it in this type of scheme contradicts I believe some of my views as this means it is no longer seen as a managerial function. Bob