Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 April 2003 14:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joel Benham The Council I work for has recently seen a spate of suicides, where people are jumping from the top of multi storey car parks in a busy town centre. There are no obvious defects in the premises, but we want to take reasonable action to try to prevent it from happening, particularly as the last two "jumpers" have landed on pathways where people could walk. Fortunately no one else, to date, has been injured. My question is this: have other Councils experienced this problem and found a cost effective solution? Is there a particular type or style of fencing that has been found to be effective, relatively low cost, with low maintenance? We have also considered increasing the use of CCTV, but it would be ineffective as it would take too long for staff to respond - they'd have to rush up 5 / 6 flights of stairs, by which time the person would have jumped!. If there are other ways of tackling this problem, I'd be grateful for the ideas.... Many Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 April 2003 16:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Day Have you thought about having safety netting underneath, tied between the car park and a building on the opposite side of the street. Just thought this idea might cheer people up when they read it !
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 April 2003 16:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker I would also recommend you have a specific policy whereby council employee's are expressly forbidden to intervene in suicide attempts.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 April 2003 17:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft We have also had a few people jumping off multi-story car parks that we own or control. To make it impossible for them to jump is, well, pretty near impossible. Suicidal people are surprisingly inventive, so all you can do is try all you can to make it more difficult and hopefully they will go somewhere else. When all said and done you do all that is reasonably practicable to prevent people falling, but if someone is determined and really want to kill themselves, they wil cimb over any fence that you erect.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 16 April 2003 20:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Joel. I think I aslo subscribe to the theory that if someone is going to kill themselves, they usually succeed, beit in your car park, NCP's or under a train!! Putting up weldmesh in some areas may be a deterent, but is costly, and may itself have ramifications in respect of fire etc. protection for passers-by is probably spending the money more wisely, by erecting some form of canopy under the areas most likely to be used by those who wish to jump. I suppose like all good coucils, an Act or bye-law with lots of signs could be be erected also, warning those who are about to jump that their estate will have to foot the bill for clearing up the mess and repairing the canopy and the law suits of post traumaticly stressed members of the public !! etc. If that does not put them off nothing will !!!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 17 April 2003 09:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor The three interventions that I have seen in London Boroughs are: controlling public access to higher levels (eg security and one-stop services at ground level); engineering measures to windows to either prevent opening or limit it to 100mm; and projections above potential landing zones in inappropriate places - both designed-in (eg canopies) and add-on (eg nets).
Admin  
#7 Posted : 17 April 2003 16:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By lawrence baldwin Joel What about a dedicated phone line to the Samaritans at the point close to or where they jump. As Stuart said, removing them from your premises will only move them elsewhere, but if an individual chose to talk to one of those highly trained volunteers, then who knows.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 17 April 2003 16:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brendan Cleaver Given the tone of some of your responses and the inventiveness of these type of people. Perhaps looking on the lighter side you could always put look out overhead hazard signs and barriers around the impact areas. Even perhaps a target might help. Sorry...seriously speaking heavy duty perspex is perfect. Can't climb it. Can't break it. Graffitti washes and wipes off. Generally install to 8ft and use and overhang section to further discourage climbers trying to fix a climbing means over the top. The Perspex easily drills and bolts to concrete and armco. Good luck and look out above!!
Admin  
#9 Posted : 17 April 2003 19:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould i suppose with some council taxes and rent rates. suicide is now considered forseable and in the laws eyes you have to act accordingly. what about sucicide bombers erm. only joking. i am curious as to what different councils do in these circumstances. good luck.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 18 April 2003 09:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paula Badger I am appalled at the ideology that people attempting suicide using this method are seen as statistical, but then I might be getting the thread wrong. In studying psychology and deviance,there are MIND centres that have trained councellors to listen to those who have such tendancies. Now in seeing the human potential of such activities, it is the job of units that have large open vantage points to try and make access at certain times impossible. Therefore, there are those that come out of secure accommodation, have bankruptcy, divorce, social exclusion and plain depression that might be the cause of the attempt at self destruction. Therefore, the measures of placing canopies and using the inverted brackets seen in the Westmorland Shopping Centre stop such activity. In most MIND centres there are services to help those with the immediate onset of depressive self harm in this way. One way, would be to put up linked Samaritan phones to the pay machines or on levels of multiple car parks. Noteably, the statistical suicide rate is from urban, more than rural out of town establishments. Therefore, the design of the place may make some more depressed than others, as in poorly maintained units with dank, dark lighting. Lighting is a mood enhancer, and if playing calming music over tannoys, it may break the frustration cycle that the public as individuals have. But really, it is a local issue of saving a person's life, not a planning issue, and of that I am firmly on the side of saving those who have crisis which results in flight not fight mental images. There are neurotransmitters in the brain that force this action on visual cues. Taking away such cues could help, therefore seek the use of MIND agencies or and the use of psychologists and those who have lived and attempted to leap to death. This to me is the person centred perspective and I hope it helps to those interested in the discipline of mental imbalance on h and safety.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 22 April 2003 08:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor As the MIND organisation has been mentioned in the responses, allow me to take the opportunity to recommend their 'Mind Guide to Managing Stress' of which I have obtained numerous copies and had them left in strategic locations for people to take if they wish. Whilst the booklet deals only with the personal response to stress rather than the organisational response to stress management, I have not found any other publication as readable and inexpensively available as this (HSE take note). (Mind Tel: 020 8221 9666). Coming back to the physical prevention of suicide jumping, one should not assume that the suicidal individual will always go somewhere else if prevented from using a premises for that purpose. The act may, sometimes, be impulsive rather than meditated and the mental state to induce the action may well pass or turn to reflection upon denial of the opportunity. I'm told that William Cowper wrote some of his best work after a frustrated suicide intention.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 22 April 2003 09:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Ken Zlooldp Frzshu Fubswrjudpv! Geoff
Admin  
#13 Posted : 22 April 2003 10:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould exactly
Admin  
#14 Posted : 22 April 2003 12:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Hi Joel I understand your concern about jumpers but also agree that if someone is determined to kill themselves then they will find a way, whatever measures you take or attempt to take. It may not be off the top of your building but will be instead on the local railway line, etc. I live in Eastbourne where we have the notorious jumping capital of Britain, namely Beachy Head, you might want to contact Eastbourne Borough Council Health and Safety and see what they do about it. I can't say I've seen anything except notices about the edge being dangerous and so on but they may be in a position to give you some very good advice. Hope you get yourself sorted OK. Hilary
Admin  
#15 Posted : 23 April 2003 08:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor They cannot say that a man of letters like Geoff isn't 3 steps in front of the rest of us. Enigma as well as humour! Deity is not the only mover in a strange way. For explanation refer to Geoff Burt.
Admin  
#16 Posted : 23 April 2003 11:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joel Benham Thank you all for your ideas / comments - certainly some food for thought....
Admin  
#17 Posted : 24 April 2003 23:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Well spotted Ken! Did it take long? Best Regards Geoff
Admin  
#18 Posted : 29 April 2003 09:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Not really Geoff. It's the others I'm worried about.
Admin  
#19 Posted : 29 April 2003 10:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould go on geoff. iam clueless
Admin  
#20 Posted : 29 April 2003 11:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Gibson How about providing extra strong large plastic bin liners so the clearing up problem is simplified? (only kidding - honest)