Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 July 2003 10:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Hoskins I have recently noticed that this qualification now appears to have a 3 year life-span. When did this happen? Has it always been? I think it is a good idea, but doesn't seem to be well publicised. We have people who qualified MS many years ago...
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 July 2003 12:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Gibson I was unaware of a lifespan on the managing safely course. i would query the validity of this as the course is not a licensed course for equipment operation, eg crane training, but a course teaching safety management. Will we be seeing a validity on the NEBOSH dip courses next? I accept that there is an ongoing need to ensure that manmagement maintain a reasonable understanding of HSE, but is this just a means for your trainer to drum up more trade in the future?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 July 2003 08:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Can anyone confirm this is now only valid for 3 years, please? If yes, I assume there is a refresher?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 July 2003 12:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Bennett According to one of the advertisers in this months SHP, all Managing Safely courses are now given a 3 year expiry date as of this April. Regards. Lee.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 02 July 2003 12:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Yeah! well they would wouldn't they! What I wanted was some reference to/from the awarding body ie IOSH. Can't see anything on this site. I have no personal axe to grind but surely if you pass an exam thats it - you don't keep on doing it every three years. Be interesting if the concept was applied to dip. etc !!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 02 July 2003 13:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Alan This is an IOSH initiative - licensed providers of Managing Safely received a letter from IOSH in the first week of April. The logic is a refresher with materials which are not in the basic pack, so that it is not all old hat, eg material on violence to staff. My own view is that the need for CPD whoever the trainee has not been thought through (as I have discussed with eg Hazel Harvey) Quality providers will think about the needs of their client and adjust the MS to suit. Hence for example we already cover some of the new materials in the refresher pack in our training for eg prison staff. My thinking is that eg senior prison staff will gain far more CPD by sitting down to discuss common problems and think through way forward than by attending another course whose content may be largely "off the shelf". Peter
Admin  
#7 Posted : 03 July 2003 14:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Betton Some of my staff have just taken atteneded and IOSH Working Safely 1 day and they ahve told this also expires in 3 years.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 03 July 2003 17:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Burton A number of years ago I had all my senior managers put through the managing safely course. Recently I decided that it would be a good idea to give them an update and this time I decided to put them all through the two day working safely course as a refresher. Now I have been told that IOSH are bringing out their own three yearly refresher. A bit late for me but it is still a good idea. Regards ... Stu
Admin  
#9 Posted : 04 July 2003 11:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Williams I attended a Managing Safely course late 2002. I have just received a letter from the course provider re Re-certification the details are setout below. a) If you took the course before 1 Oct 1999 you should consider re-taking the complete Managing Safely Course. b) If you took the course between 1 Oct 1999 and 1 Oct 2001 you should attend a Managing Safely course by 30th September 2003. c) After 1 October 2001 you should plan to attend a re-certification course within two years of the certificate date. Cost £175.00 + £20 certificate fee. All delegates must pass a multiple choice assessment at the end of the course,there is no project to complete. I hope this information helps.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 04 July 2003 12:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Where does it all end, is it not getting a bit ridiculous? Ouch, I might have to take the 11+ again. Well that might not be a bad thing, I might pass it this time! Geoff
Admin  
#11 Posted : 04 July 2003 17:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Caroline Holden In order to clarify the position regarding the Managing Safely Awareness Training course. The facts are as follows. IOSH decided that in order to improve the quality of the Managing Safely and Working Safely training courses that it was appropriate that these courses should only be valid for a 3 year period. This decisions was taken by the IOSH services board. All existing licensed IOSH course providers were informed of this decision in April 2003 by letter. A recertification course for Managing Safely and Working Safely for IOSH course providers have been available since January 2003. Caroline Holden IOSH Head of Commercial Affairs
Admin  
#12 Posted : 04 July 2003 18:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Betton Caroline How does this affect Supervising Safely? Mark
Admin  
#13 Posted : 04 July 2003 18:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt May I ask how putting an expiry date on courses 'improves the quality of the courses'?
Admin  
#14 Posted : 04 July 2003 22:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Tracey It comes as no surprise to myself or my collegues that IOSH Services see the need to put expiry dates onto Man Safe Certs. No doubt new certs issued by IOSH will help the finances of IOSH. Personally I agree with others who question at what point and cost all of us will have to re -attend eductaion and training courses, due to time elapsing. As an accredited trainer using the IOSH materials with, additional materials to suit our clients, SPECIFICALLY the CDM Regs, I am interested in the following: what cost to my organisation the new materials will be, will we see a major improvement in the end test, (who is still using negative marking these days other than IOSH?) Who has developed the material, and how has it been validated. We have been delivering update trainng to our existing Man Safe clients now for over 24 months, presently none see the need for having IOSH refresher certs and the additional costs assocaited with it.