Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 August 2003 08:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Prompted by the debate that we have been having on this forum about smoking in the office and as I am about to send of my application to attend this year's IOSH Public Services National Safety Symposium, it seems a good opportunity to raise the issue of organisers permitting smoking at health and safety events. I have seen some improvement over the years from the days when you had to sit listening to speakers with people smoking around you - through times when coffee breaks were held in smoke-filled rooms - to days when you only have to hold your breath when you enter or leave the building - except for dinner when it is advisable to leave when your 'table-mates' start to light up (usually at the end of the meal but sometimes during it). There remains, of course, the social (or rather anti-social) evening when the smokers seem to reap their revenge for earlier constraints. I still fail to see how persons employed to provide for the health and safety of others and who are well aware of the associated health risks from smoking to themselves and others can use health and safety events in this way. So, will organisers finally take note and act and will IOSH be taking a firm lead in this respect?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 August 2003 16:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Daly Maybe you should sujest holding this get together in the Irish Republic after the 1st of January 2004 all the above smoking will be illegal. It will be interesting to see how this ban works. Is Mise le Meas Martin Daly
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 August 2003 13:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ron muir Hi thought I would post a response to this. For your information most of the venues where the Symposium has been held in the recent past have been in no smoking buildings ( apart from the bars - even some of them have been segregated) The only places that smokers could smoke was outside the buildings. As far as I remember both the annual dinner and social evening for the past 3 or 4 years have been no smoking. Unless anyone can prove otherwise ??
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 August 2003 14:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Rather than attempting to prove or disprove the practice at previous years Symposia (including referring to refences made on my evaluation sheet), perhaps the organisers will be able to give an assurance with regard to this years event. Of course, it isn't just IOSH that I had in mind when launching this thread. Let's try to make it safe and healthy for us too.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 August 2003 08:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Ken, As a non-smoker (reformed) I think your comments are ludicrous. Yes we all know smoking is unhealthy but so are a lot of other practices. Why stop at smokers, target the overweight. Ensure all food served at conference is low fat and under 250 calories per meal, or why not ban fatties totally. I suspect a sizeable decline in numbers at conference because of this. We could ensure that we hold conferences in temperance halls to make it difficult for those alcoholics to get a drink. Get real! Most non-smokers find smoking irritating but this is a free society and as previously mentioned, smoking is not illegal. I do not believe that it is in IOSH's remit to involve itself in this subject, lets leave it to the medical world to champion this cause.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 08 August 2003 09:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Im a Smoker and not proud of it. Smokers can have disrespect for other people but most nowadays are trying to appease non smokers in ways that we do use designated areas for smoking. A vast majority ask people if they mind if we light up. Smokers take heed of new no smoking rules in shopping centers bla bla. I get annoyed at the vicious approach some people try to take with regards to smoking it seems as though they have a personal war with it. Safety managers come and work on sites and if there a non smoker they will try to put a total ban on the site. I worked with one after his smart assed total ban we walked round the site checking fire protection and discovered secret smoke areas in unsupervised storage areas. This to me is more of a risk than any passive smoking and in my opinion the prudish safety officer caused that extra risk.(He did not last long) Drunks fight and hurt people but most of us realise we had too much to drink and go home in a taxi before we go to far. Anyway ive had enough blurting on. Whats great about a dimocracy is choise. If a total ban was in force i would choose not to go at all. If smoking was allowed in a designated area you can choose not to go. You may not get there anyway. There are curtious drivers and dangerous drivers using mobile phones being aware of possible radiation risk which like passive smoking is still unproven. So stop mobiles and us so called safety proffessionals that still choose to use them. Get of the hobby horse.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 08 August 2003 11:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Petrie Next you will be suggesting that measures are taken to ensure that no-one breaks the speed limit whilst driving to the conference (as you will no doubt agree, it is highly dangerous). Maybe iosh should supply all attendees with a gps tracker to monitor their speeds on the way and only allow entrance if they have stuck to the speed limit. I am not a smoker but I respect people's choices.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 08 August 2003 11:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Adams How dissapointing. I saw this topic appear, chuckled and watched it rapidly moving down the table to the obscurity it deserved. However, too much to expect such a contentious issue to be ignored by all. The only thing required is for all to be considerate of the needs of others?
Admin  
#9 Posted : 08 August 2003 11:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Ken Do you mean some people actually have the bad manners to light up BEFORE coffee? Next thing you will be telling us they take their jackets off as well!
Admin  
#10 Posted : 09 August 2003 22:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Well, I seem to have rattled a few cages and produced a good number of red herrings on this one. I have no interest in the weight or eating habits of fellow delegates - but then they are not trying to force their food into my mouth. How people drive to an event is not my concern - unless they run me over. Do you see the point? I'm not moaning about other people being smokers but object strongly to them trying to force me to re-smoke their foul, offensive and health-threatening exhaust. One might understand if this was the behaviour of the ignorant but at a health and safety event there is no excuse for the selfish to engage their drug habit at the expense of the health and enjoyment of others and certainly no excuse for organisers to permit them to do so. If we are in this profession because we have some care for others' health and safety, let's treat our colleagues accordingly.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 10 August 2003 11:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Ken, You don't seem to have grasped the message. From reading the comments posted thus far, smokers and no-smokers do not care what you think! Rather, they do object to people forcing their views on others and using this forum to do it. Perhaps you should air your views on smoking to IOSH, where you may get some more empathy. Hope my comments are not too offensive. Regards, Ray
Admin  
#12 Posted : 10 August 2003 12:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Ken I have to agree with Ray and the others on this one. Usually, you and I agree on a pragmatic and practical approach but you seem to have gone astray this time - obviously you feel passionate about it and you 'are' knocking the smokers no matter how much you deny it. What you are talking about - and supporting -is a complete lack of tolerance for others. If you think that walking through some minor smoke cloud is bad for your health you also don't understand what the dangers are - rather like some people view asbestos, it appears to be an emotive rather than a fact based opinion. I certainly hope you won't be drinking alcohol at your next conference - in the UK and around the world it causes far more misery, ill health, poverty, crime and violence than smoking ever will. Trying going to your local town centre on a Saturday night - smoking is a minor irritant compared to what goes on. So lets have an agreement - I'll campaign for no alcohol and you campaign for no smoking at the next gathering. On second thoughts I won't bother going. Geoff
Admin  
#13 Posted : 10 August 2003 13:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould I Cant't even be bothered entertaining this (In Kens Ideal World Thread any more). Thank God Health & Safety snapped you up before Politics. At this point I do wish IOSH Or other venues still cater for smokers even if it is outside the building doors, cafe. Ken if someone asked me not to smoke in their presence I do my best to oblige but not to the extent that I refrain from smoking in the fear that I may offend some one. I ask in resturants etc. Ken is it not better that you just ask people yourself to refrain from smoking rather than insult their intelligence and class the majority on the actions of the few. I agree you have a right not to be objected to other peoples bad habbits. I aggree with no smoking at the Bars in clubs and pubs. We smokers can live with this. I cannot and never will aggree with a total bans in public places.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 11 August 2003 12:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Would appear that both sides of the debate are trying to impose their will on the other. What about that smoking is permitted in a designated area away from non smokers or am I being to sensible! maybe legislation could be brought in to make this legally enforcable, especially when they are eating!!!!!!!!
Admin  
#15 Posted : 11 August 2003 12:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Elliott Ken, if it bothers you that much, then simply don't go to places where people smoke. I am sure that if there was a total ban on smoking, those who smoked or felt they could not cope with a ban would not enter the said building. And before you bleat on about the 'discrimination' issue and get on your high horse. Remember it works both ways. It's just a matter of time before a smoker has a successfull case for not being given the same rights as a non smoker. No matter which way you look at it smokers do have rights as well. Why should smokers be pushed away? If smokers are in the minority I can see a case, however, what about if smokers are in the majority? I really do feel you must think about your arguement before blurting on about rights and wrongs. It's comments like yours that sometimes make people light up just to spite the person who is complaining.
Admin  
#16 Posted : 12 August 2003 09:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor For the record, I have no objection to people smoking in the open air or in sensibly-designed smoking rooms - in fact, I have been instrumental in planning and providing a number of these. When seeking social activity in an enclosed environment or a restaurant/pub I will choose to visit those with a no-smoking room/area - but when it comes to health and safety events, I would have expected organisers to have banned smoking indoors by now. Yes, I have taken this up with IOSH but do feel it worth raising the matter in the wider context on this forum - which, I understand, is here to enable us to discuss matters of health and safety. Smoking puts people at risk of lung cancer, coronary heart disease, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, other circulatory and respiratory diseases along with acute irritant effects on eyes, throat and respiratory tract and can particularly be a problem for those of us with asthmatic conditions. With regard to this years Public Services Symposium, I see that, once again, smoking will not be permitted in the lecture theatre and foyer and during dinner, presentations and speeches. IOSH are probably better than many others in this respect but, to my mind, not yet good enough and I shall await the day when they provide a separate smoking room and enable the rest of us to have smoke-free air in all non-residential rooms. Tolerance and respect for others health, safety and enjoyment can work well together. I hope you do decide to come to York this year, Geoff and should be happy to have a drink with you - unless the smoking has started!
Admin  
#17 Posted : 12 August 2003 11:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Thanks for the invite Ken and York too, my home city. Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to take you up on it, I've spent more than I should already on conferences and traing for this year. I think you will find, and as you say, that smoking (or non smoking) is already addressed at these type of gatherings but the impression you gave was that you wanted a total ban. It perhaps would have been better to have used a persuasive rather than confrontational approach to the issue. Geoff
Admin  
#18 Posted : 12 August 2003 13:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor - but not as much fun, Geoff. It's interesting that a plea to breathe smoke-free air at a health and safety event raises issues about overweight, fatty food, alcohol, dangerous drivers, speed-limits,use of mobile phones and removal of jackets and I am accused of being inconsiderate, intolerant, forcing my views on others and being a potentially bad politician. Just hope that I don't enter politics when I retire from health and safety (or get thrown out of IOSH) you lot!
Admin  
#19 Posted : 12 August 2003 14:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould LOL Ken Enough said, I hope you enjoy many a free moment of smoke free air. And good luck in politics. I will enjoy my fags in the zones provided and alsways oblige if it is clear i am offending anyone. Im sure the Devil will have a jobs in Hell for us Safety folk that hypercritically smoke. Maybe we will be checking fall protection next to the burning pits. You will proberbly have a better time going over the integrity of the pearly gates of heaven Or ensuring the steps have a two sided hand rail...........
Admin  
#20 Posted : 12 August 2003 15:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment GO GO Ken - I'll vote for you! Ah ! the indignant howls from those weak willed individuals who are hooked to a dried plant leaf and lack the backbone to give it up. "But I enjoy smoking!" yeah right! ..and I like licking the toilet rim every day - it's satisfying, wholesome, agreeable and calms my nerves. The simple fact is that many smokers really don't consider anyone else but themselves when they light up. They are usually the first people at the table to squal if I pick my nose and put it in the ashtray, or have a good scratch of my backside, or break wind. All for freedom of choice, just don't impose your habits on me nor make excuses.
Admin  
#21 Posted : 12 August 2003 15:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Bryn, Hope your dentist wears the appropriate RPE when you go for a check up!
Admin  
#22 Posted : 12 August 2003 16:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Right on Ken, it is fun. Please, please don't go into policics, we've got enough ...... already!!! As for Bryn, I'm lost for words but it must have been you I saw in a restaurant last month. Give me a smoker any time, they've got more conversational skills, a better sense of humour, more social awareness - and that's just me. Geoff
Admin  
#23 Posted : 12 August 2003 16:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Nice one Bry I'm looking for someone to come and clean my toilet rim mate, only problem I dont think your past attendance / sickness record would be up to much, pays good though and comes with free vaccinations and innoculations but due to high cost can't supply Health care!
Admin  
#24 Posted : 12 August 2003 18:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gilly Margrave There used to be a "witty" sign in some offices to the effect "I don't mind if you smoke if you don't mind if I break wind" (that wasn't the exact phrasing). As an unreformed and unreformable smoker my response was always "Do you want a light?" Gilly
Admin  
#25 Posted : 13 August 2003 11:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Or as a chap called Mark Twain said: "If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I will not go."
Admin  
#26 Posted : 13 August 2003 17:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Böber Having read the previous messages of this thread I feel Freud's comment "Manchmal ist eine Zigarre eine Zigarre gerade" is more appropriate.
Admin  
#27 Posted : 13 August 2003 17:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Wouldn't disagree.
Admin  
#28 Posted : 14 August 2003 08:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Ja! das ist gut
Admin  
#29 Posted : 14 August 2003 08:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Und manchmal beleidigender als Bryn?
Admin  
#30 Posted : 14 August 2003 09:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone Taking this discussion slightly off track. A friend was hit in his car the other day by a driver who was lighting their fag whilst doing 45mph. Surely that the police enforce that you cant eat, drink or use a mobile whilst driving then smoking should be banned too?
Admin  
#31 Posted : 14 August 2003 09:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Yeah right Ian- and coughing, sneezing, yawning, belching, farting, picking your nose, removing ear wax, c'mon - get real!
Admin  
#32 Posted : 14 August 2003 09:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone Surely all those things are natural bodily functions, how often do you see drivers lighting up and taking there eyes off the road, throwing the stubs out the window and missing so it comes back in the car, fiddling for the packets etec etc
Admin  
#33 Posted : 14 August 2003 11:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt I would guess children in cars is the biggest distraction - let's start on them next.
Admin  
#34 Posted : 14 August 2003 11:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson How did we get from smoking at conference to battering kids in cars? starightening your tie / putting on make up / combing hair / checking Golf Planner behind visor apparently!!! Sat in my car two year ago at 'ASDA' traffic lights, Plymouth (Ian knows) looked in reav view mirror says to wife hang on we are going to get hit! In mirror nobody behind the wheel of a car behind us, suddenly head pops up, bloke had dropped his fag and was bending over in passenger sside to pick it up, when he sat back up only had about 20 feet to stop and he did but it was may boot that stopped him. Ensured he was and my family were OK and he gave me his name, address, ins details even took reg of car - all false!!!!! If you are ever in accident and no one is hurt call the police and dont move anything!!!!
Admin  
#35 Posted : 14 August 2003 13:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Ken Doggone it! There I was supporting you and then you insinuate that I insult people! As a motorcyclist I applaud banning car drivers from the road completely- single biggest risk to me (after myself - but I seem to have some control over the voices that urge me to speed!!).
Admin  
#36 Posted : 14 August 2003 14:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Sorry Bryn. It's a translation thing (for 'insult' read 'offend') taking into account the list of obnoxious pastimes you presented - all comparable with smoking of course! Please don't practice any at IOSH events either (with the exception of lavatory-licking, if in private).
Admin  
#37 Posted : 14 August 2003 15:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young What a strange bunch of characters we H&S professionals are. Also strange is the high number of ex military personnel who became one. Any tie in do you think?
Admin  
#38 Posted : 14 August 2003 23:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Bate Ken, Well done on insiting such response!! I am 100% behind you with this. I do not have any qualms with the fact that people smoke, it's when they smoke in places that I get exposed to the toxic fumes bein emitted from their lungs that I give a toss. It's disgusting having to go home, smelling of sickening smoke. Fair enough sayiong if I don't like it to stay clear, but why should I have to stay from the pub due to someone else's addiction? Being in restauurants is the same. I'm there for a meal, and don't want to inhale your second hand tar extract. And on the bus. why must I stay away from the bus because other people want to smoke? Ban all smoking in public places is what I say, and ban it from the inside of all Health and Safety events. Set an example. After all, what difference is there to walking around with a cigarette to walking around in an environment full of inhalable silica dust with no mask on? Doesn't give out the right lead to follow does it? Now get off your high horses and accept that smoking is not purely one person's enjoyment, harmles to others, but a toxic, lethal cocktail that kills hundreds of thousands each year and costs the country billions in medical care each year (mind you, I choose to ignore tha fact that most of the tax on a packet of cigarettes funds the NHS - I mean, that would cloud my argument a bit wouldn't it?). Have fun!
Admin  
#39 Posted : 15 August 2003 09:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson In response, at present its not illegal! what you are suggesting is! That said I do agree, except in the pub! There are a lot of ex-military because you get a 4 week EVT (Training) before you leave the armed forces and NEBOSH Cert / NEBS Dip is one of them, and I do believe that Ian @ PCFE delivers this. so instead of 4 week bricklaying / plumbing / bar management etc a lot did this and got jobs as H&S people, allied with their military background and 'can do' attitude they are very pragmatic, motivated and with the adapt and overcome belief, are successful, (We can wing it quite good!) if you have a 'green beret' instead of a 'hat' then you are even better.(apologies to you non military types but the rest know)
Admin  
#40 Posted : 15 August 2003 09:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Well said, but if you're from the Senior Service you will obviously have an extra edge! What with banning cigarettes, mentioning motorcycles, banning cars (and children in cars) and now applauding the Armed Forces (particularly the RN) how long will it be before Trebor gets off the fence?