Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 September 2003 00:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp
At a recent EGM at my golf club the contentious subject of health and safety reared its ugly head. Basically an independant report was commissioned by the club to investigate those areas where it was considered risks from errant golf shots were unusually high. Certain risks were identified and mitigating controls were suggested.

I stepped in to to give a 'second opinion' and essentially agreed with the independant consultant. However, I checked with current legislation and HSE guidelines which largely omit risks from errant golf shots. I even went to the extreme and contacted the HSE direct with my concerns but alas to no avail. Using common sense and knowledege I persuaded the Directors to accept some practicable solutions.

Unfortunately at our EGM a number of so-called 'experts' argued against those changes and have caused the Directors of the club a dilemma. Citing the usual arguments 'no one has been killed' etc.

Any thoughts or examples that could be used to sway the doubters would be appreciated.

Regards,

Ray

Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 September 2003 08:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Hi Ray

Off the top of my head - are there any figures available for the UK or elsewhere that show the extent of accidents on golf courses? Otherwise you are going to have to craft it around non tangibles.

Geoff
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 September 2003 08:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone
Raymond

At my local club they have had problems as a green is next to a main road and there was incidents where the odd ball had hit cars, to combat this in the short term they have provided better netting along that side and are planning to move the green to a better position. This was brought up in an EGM and the players were happy with this solution(even the old guard!) I think in this day and age you have to take a practical approach to matters, it doesnt matter if no on has been killed, if the potential is there

Ian
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 September 2003 09:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp
Geoff and Ian,

Thanks for your contribution.

Geoff, I am not aware of any statistics involving golf course accidents and I have done some research. As I suggested, injuries on golf courses appears to be an area that has been largely overlooked by the regulators.

Ian, the changes to the course are relatively minor. Unfortunately the issue has been 'clouded' because the Director's wish to replace all 18 greens to USPGA Standard, therefore it is quite likely the health and safety issue has been hi-jacked for political reasons. I agree with your assertion that in todays world you have to "take a practical approach". That said, it is not the likes of us that need convincing but the "old guard" as you suggest.

Ray
Admin  
#5 Posted : 03 September 2003 15:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry
Sorry to butt in.

You don't say who is being put at potential risk from errant golf shots - golfers, public, staff, hotel guests,others, etc.

I worked on a golf course as a greenkeeper.

There were days when you'd swear the golfers delighted in taking pot shots at you as though practicing for shooting ducks at the fair.

There were other golfers you prayed would realise very quickly they would never develop the skill to play a round of golf and that they would reduce their frustration at not being able to hit a ball in anything like a direction of choice and save us all some worry.

There is a code of etiquette for players and greenkeepers. Players rarely seem to have any notion about it.

Many (if not most) golf courses fail to keep any such records (and many other records).

My prayers were never answered that when the inspector visited the good book would get thrown - poor storage, equipment/ machines not maintained (the of wheels that fell off), no welfare facilities, fuel store not complying with regulations, no warnings put out when spraying(some golf courses have the decency to close for this operation), no HAVS controls,working hours....... the list is endless.

Ummm, the old guard .............

They do not come within the direct scope of the HSE but the Local Authority Environmental health dept.

I know of one golf course where a member of staff and a mower slipped over the edge of a bunker( a drop of some 8m) ...... the bunker is still there the member of staff is no longer amongst us.

It is an historic golf course built by the designer Colt(late 19th early 20th century if I remember rightly) ...... and heaven forbid that anything should be altered in the name of common sense.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 03 September 2003 21:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards
from my experience in handling golfing injuries those injuries had less to do with the design of the course, and a lot more to do with behaviours of golfers.

Risk assess the current rules on green behaviour and then suggest H&S friendly amendments as required to the rules.

In my experience even very serious injuries were not dealt with by the HSE and were dealt with as civil claims. I have dealt with very serious head injuries ( close range shot causing brain damage) and groin shots which were less serious but vey painful ( testicular atrophy in one case and infertility problems in others).

Might also be a good idea to look into sporting insurance for the members who want to continue thrashing the green and not the ball ( no pun intended)? All the claims we handled were paid out by the insurance of the offending player and not by the clubs because the rules were so well drafted.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 September 2003 09:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young
I may be missing something here so correct me if I'm wrong (Geoff usually does). The only people who would be controlled by H&S systems are the employees of the golf course, e.g. greenkeepers and any others who have to operate on the course during "open" times, no pun intended. This is why the HSE have few guidelines and legislation is non existent. When greenkeepers are training for their respective N/SVQ's, part of the training involves them learning of the dangers whilst working on the course. My recollection of systems when I worked for a Local Enterprise Company were the issue of bump caps and safety specs when working on the course and the constant drumming in of information from tutors and managers alike, to be aware of what is happening around you. Sure you don't see or hear everything but just being aware reduced the accident potential. Again from experience, the only times I saw high fencing/netting or other precautionary methods used was to prevent the club from Civil claims for damages to property adjacent to the course, where a similar event had occurred. Everyone knows of the risk of being struck by a golf ball when they take to the course but unless they are employed as above, they are not at work and therefore are not party to HASAW. My bottom line I suppose is, why use Health & Safety practices to try and force change when in reality, the situation described in the posting has at best, tenuous links to it and more to other civil avenues. Health & Safety has a bad enough name for introducing restrictive rules and in my humble opinion shouldn't be used in this case.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 04 September 2003 13:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp
Thanks for your views, all interesting yet different.

Benedict, you are correct that golf clubs are managed by the Local Authority Inspectors. However, guidelines are issued by the HSE (see Health and Safety in Golf Course Management and Maintenance: HSG 79) but little if anything is written concerning injuries from errant golf shots.

My understanding is that golf clubs are an institution and therefore have much the same responsibilities as any other organisation or company. Therefore, the club is duty bound by HASAWA etc.

People who may be injured are essentially golfers and members at that, but non-members, public and employees may also be affected. Ron states 'everyone knows the risk of being struck by a golf ball..', not so (never mind Geoff correcting you, I will) there are others who may be more vulnerable e.g. juniors. In any case that is not a realistic argument, the principle of health and safety is to reduce risks to ALARP. Where the risks have been identified it would be incumbent upon those managing the the club to take some form mitigating action. Surely, doing nothing is not an option.

At the end of the day - if someone were seriously hurt as Robert has indicated, there would surely follow a claim. It appears most likely that any claim and subsequent award would be paid for by the golf club insurers, who might have a view on whether any foreseen risks had been properly controlled.

Ray

Admin  
#9 Posted : 04 September 2003 16:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry
Ummm - interesting.

What got my goat is that people were more likely to be refused a round of golf because of the clothes they were wearing rather than the risk they posed to other people (people have to learn) or the complete disregard for the rules of the game they were supposedly trying to play( they pay.

The times I was verbally abused for being on the course carrying out essential works so the patrons could have an enjoyable game - result - the management said we can't afford to upset the patrons - result - time to leave.

We did irrigate one green very heavily to try to keep it soft to prevent golf balls bouncing & hitting people, pets or canal barges on the adjacent canal towpath and canal which ran through the middle of the golf course. This had little effect on ball bounce - but caused other problems with disease, moss etc. so increasing the need for chemical interventions - not so much errant golf shot as problem bounce.

We found the commonest cause for fatality/ illness was overexcitment(irritation/ euphoria) or over stressing(exercise) both leading to heart failure and often death as the emergency services had problems arriving on the scene speedily.

But errant golf shots is a frequent and recurring daily risk.

In my mind, an unacceptable one.All steps, both reasonable and unreasonable should be taken to reduce the risk from this uncontrollable( currently) hazard.

Admin  
#10 Posted : 04 September 2003 18:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Daniel
Raymond: I'm a Safety Consultant, So's my colleague. He's a golfer and plays in North Leicestershire.

2 years ago a member at his club drove off the tee and sliced his shot. The ball hit a dry stone wall which has been there for longer than the Golf Club, bounced back and took his eye out. He ended sueing the golf club for damages and although as far as I know he has not got anything yet, it demonstrates how careful you have to be.

The Club now have a "competent person" advising them on safety (not my colleague - he didn't want to do it becuse he's too closely associated with the Club) We know that there are other risks on the site which need managing.

Regards:
Dave Daniel
Technical Director
Practical Risk Management Ltd
Coventry Office)
Admin  
#11 Posted : 04 September 2003 19:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arthur Hendry Paterson
Hello

I am no golfer.

To gentleman who's friend lost an eye. Sorry to read about your friend. BUT, has the bolder been removed to prevent a reccurrence.?

To the gentleman who says HASAWA covers
employees only. This act covers employees, trespassers, visitors, and contractors etc.
The golf club is an employer and should display the relevent HASAW posters.

To the gentlemen that is seeking a soloution
to inerant shots through club meetings. Does your club keep an accident log book.? Does you club have liabilty insurance.? Are all members and non-members, visitors to the club taking through a club induction and giving a set of rules/guidelines. Inerant shots probably
have been around for years, prevention is better than cure. How do you stop someone
from hitting an inacurate ball.?

Lastly, I read a piece here that someone
or some club are looking at redirecting
their greens. Is it worth the cost. Have
you looked at other soloutions.?
Admin  
#12 Posted : 04 September 2003 20:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Sinclair
There is case law on this subject. Unfortunately I do not have access to cases at the moment, so I can't quote, But it has been held that an injury caused to a passing driver(I believe from a cricket ball being hit out of a ground) was not considered to be the result of negligence.

If you drop me an email, I will try and dig out the case citation.

Regards.

David
Admin  
#13 Posted : 04 September 2003 21:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Ron

You hadn't been mixing your water with something had you before writing that piece?

Geoff
Admin  
#14 Posted : 04 September 2003 21:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp
Gents,

Thanks again for your responses and I will deal with them as best I can.

Dave, sorry to hear about your colleague, sounds rather nasty. It shows that even unforeseen accidents can occur and supports my argument in managing known risks.

Arthur, I did not say that HASAWA only covers employees, but may have implied that in the context of my point. Clearly, you cannot prevent someone from hitting an errant golf shot, risks from golf shots are ubiquitos. Only by careful identification of unacceptable risks can something be done to control them.

I have researched some case law regarding golfing injuries and claims but there is not too much that is particularly relevant, at least in the UK. I have no doubt that with this present 'claims culture' there will be far more in the future.

Finally, from those responses thus far it is quite obvious that the subject matter has stirred some emotional reactions, a number of interesting and somewhat contentious thoughts, even by safety consultant standards. Who knows I might even consider making a career out of golf course health and safety management - there appears to be plenty of scope.

Ray
Admin  
#15 Posted : 05 September 2003 08:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young
Na Geoff,

Had a quiet(ish) day and I thought I would liven it up. I was trying to say albeit badly that everything has a risk and if we continue to impose rules, sanctions or systems of work in everything we do, we are going to be so far removed from reality, we won't know a risk if it stares us in the face. Glad to have stirred it a bit, it's been a while...
Admin  
#16 Posted : 05 September 2003 09:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Ron

I'll agree with that - we're at a stage where we have to find someone to blame for everything that happens.

Unfortunately there's nothing we as individuals can do about it.

The solution in this case is to ban all golf activities at the club. Then no one can get hurt.

Can't see the point of hitting a little white ball around anyway! and they seem to have more fun at the clubhouse social activities.

But then we might have to consider the effect of smoking and drinking.

Probably best to close it all down and build houses.

Geoff

Admin  
#17 Posted : 05 September 2003 09:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young
Agreed Geoff,

Maybe King James had a good idea all these years ago, ergo, banning golf to ensure his archers got enough practice...
Admin  
#18 Posted : 05 September 2003 10:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Archery! We could really go to town on that one. Now, about their risk assessments ...
Admin  
#19 Posted : 05 September 2003 13:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt
Talking of archery - I had an interesting email yesterday concerning the assessments done by a training company. Evidently they run interactive events to build confidence, and three of them were:

getting the team to break a block of wood (each) using bare hands, karate-chop style

walking over broken glass barefoot

Breaking an arrow by having it pressed against the neck muscles by a partner until it snaps

The assessments were interesting because they revealed the supposed trick in each of them, but completely failed to recognise that if the trick went wrong someone could get hurt.

In the last case for example, the explanation was that the neck muscles are really strong and target arrows will be specially-selected weak ones. Risk reduced and G&Ts all round. It failed to notice that if the point slips, the larynx is far less resistant to arrow points.

But at least they had done an assessment. Apparently nobody has questioned it/them before....

It will not surprise anyone that this came to my notice when following up a RIDDOR report on 'broken bones in hand' due to karate chopping a block of wood. We don't get many of those.

Allan
Admin  
#20 Posted : 05 September 2003 13:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Allan

I know the PO is short of money but surely they can afford to provide saws!

You will explain why someone was karate chopping a piece of wood - I hope?

Geoff
Admin  
#21 Posted : 05 September 2003 15:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt
Terminology, please - the Post Office is only one of five businesses with Royal Mail Group! But it is losing money, as you say. One of our people was on an awareness day with training provided by an outide organisation, where this was one of the activities that people were expected to take part in. The assessment said the board (special lightweight) was to be broken with the flat of the hand, but evidently that hadn't been appreciated by the instructor.

Allan
Admin  
#22 Posted : 06 September 2003 07:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp
Geoff et al,

I will not thank you for hi-jacking my thread via spurious tit-bits, interesting though they are.

Whilst on the subject of strange activities I was told by a h&s rep from the PO I believe, about a weekend team building exercise. Apparently part of the task was for two individuals to lock arms, and one would pull the other off the floor. This was all in the name of trust.

Unfortunately one individual was considerably heavier than the other leading to the smaller person collapsing under the weight and causing severe injuries! It's a strange world.

Ray
Admin  
#23 Posted : 09 September 2003 12:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
As a low figure golfer and played for many years I have insurance for this and part of your green fees goes to cover this as well.

forget about just golf what about Squash, tennis, cricket, rugby, football the list goes on. The 'club' cannot and should not be held resposible for the actions of a third party (golfer) That said if there is a real hazard where due to the design of the course it is highly likely that golf balls may leave the 'curtelage' of the course to the detrement of an outside person then they have to address that.

For instance if the ball goes OOB into a field then the damage would be low (Unless trespass to get ball, place sign that you cannot retrieve from here) or if it goes into a dwelling house consistently then you can and should do something about it.

Last year the chap who lives in the 'only' house surrounding our course brought in a boot load of golf balls which he had collected the previous year.

The club moved the tee so that you are less likely to hit a ball into his property, planted trees and erected a high net / fence, problem is now solved.

My insurance covers me for this and for a hole in one, I personally have been hit 3 times, all my own fault, and had 1 hole in one but never needed the insurance.

(cost about £35 pa to cover, loss of clubs, 3rd party injury, hole in one etc!)

personally I would make it a requirement that if you play golf or any other sport you must have insurance for 3rd party liability and the club should enforce that.
Admin  
#24 Posted : 09 September 2003 18:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp
Dave,

Thanks for your thoughts and similar to another posting. I too play off single figure (5) and understand the risks only too well.

The problem lies with the ambiguity of the law and regulators. How many golfers have personal insurance? Not many and what about the casual golfer. Why should I pay for insurance anyway, after all, I am paying over £1,100 in subs. Why not cover all golfers via the club through subscriptions?

As you can see there are a number of arguments. I still feel the overriding principle is that where there are high risks to members, guests and possibly employees the club should try to reduce those to ALARP. Surely, safety is for all.

Ray