Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 September 2003 11:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew I. Butler Good morning all, Can anyone throw any light on this subject? Is the title of fire safety coordinator something that has been designed out of best practice or is there a true definition with roles and responsibilities clearly defined? Thank you for your support Andy
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 September 2003 11:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Andy, Can you give us the context of your question?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 September 2003 11:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew I. Butler My question has been generated as a result of Audit from the British Safety council. One of the questions within the audit questions the appointment of a Fire Safety Coordinator. It is my belief that this is a requirement of best practice rather than anything legal as I cannot find any information to support this. I have attached the exact text of the question for some further clarification. 3.11 FIRE SAFETY CO-ORDINATOR Has a Fire Safety Co-ordinator been formally appointed? Do they hold recognised qualifications and/or have they undergone an accredited training programme? Have their duties and responsibilities been formally set out in the company health and safety arrangements? Are senior management appraised on matters of fire safety at regular intervals and as necessary? Is this process formalised in the health and safety arrangements and subject to regular review?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 17 September 2003 12:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Anita Parkinson Under The Fire Precautions (Workplace) Regulations '97, it is stated reg 4(2) that employers must. , where necessary in order to safeguard the safety of his employees in case of fire: (a) take measures for fire fighting in the workplace according to the circumstances of the workplace; (b) nominate employees to implement those measures and enable that the number of such employees, their training and the equipment available to them are adequate in the circumstances. etc etc etc. The actual title of fire Safety Co-ordinator is not mentioned, but call them what you will, you are bound under the law to provide trained individuals to fight fire. Hope this helps Anita Parkinson MIOSH
Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 September 2003 13:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser I find the issue of training with regard to fire-fighting quite a contentious one. Just to put it into perspective - our office is mostly made up of staff who operate in the UK offshore environment and as a result, have received what is termed BOSIET - Basic Offshore Safety and Induction Emergency Training, part of which involves use of extinguishers. As a result, we have determined that we don't need to train onshore personnel as in the unlikely event of fire breaking out, there are people capable of using the equipment through actual practice, not just in theory. However, the general instruction on land is to evacuate - don't use the extinguishers, don't pass go and don't collect £200. From an insurance point of view (as I understand it), it is cheaper to replace materiel and buildings than compensate for severe injury or loss of life. Basically, the intention is NOT to encourage people to enter a danger area, regardless of whether they are armed with a fire extinguisher or not - get 'em out instead and leave it to the professionals when they arrive. Extinguishers are there to fight a small fire - someone want to define what that is please? It takes less than 2 minutes for a fire to reach flash-over and engulf a room - you might not have the time to assess and fight the fire before that and you shouldn't be encouraged to even try, especially if you don't knwo exactly where the fire is when the alarm goes off - don't go looking for trouble. The default should be to evacuate first - only attempt to fight it if you are absolutely SURE it can be controlled (perhaps a bin fire that isn't next to flammable materials). Again, the Regulations have been worded where you, as the employer, decides what is appropriate for your organisation. If you decide that the potentiual harm to your staff while attempting to fight any outbreak of fire is too great (as we have), then you should not be criticised if you don't train them to use extinguishers but instead train (and test) them to evacuate immediately the alarm sounds. After all, the Regulations are there to save life first, property second. Not the other way round. I am keen to hear the viewpoints of others on this - I am open to persuasion!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 17 September 2003 13:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt From earlier postings it seems to me that the Fire Safety Coordinator is much more of a person who decides the policy and makes sure there is a system that works - both the hardware and the people side of things. Someone has to make decisions on the fire detection and alarm system, how the people will be evacuated, how you will figure out if everyone is out, etc. We don't advocate fighting fire, save in exceptional circumstances, but there are still a lot of things to deal with - floor plans, plans showing the location of dangerous substances, location of incoming gas supplies, liaison with the Fire Brigade, maintenance of the fire detection equipment, training people to react appropriately to alarms. At the highest level in the organisation we have professional ex-Firemen who advise us, and at local level each department (in my case about 1000 people) has a fire manager who tries to make it all work. Jane
Admin  
#7 Posted : 17 September 2003 14:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould I think when large organisations who have a lot of people on site i.e. hospitals large chemical works etc make emergency plans some of which are required by law if not all. (comar). These companies usually understand that in event of fires procedures i.e shutting down power supplies, opening sprinkler pumps etc and someone to meet meet the fire brigade with an overview of current situation and any relevent details that would be of use to all emergency services. In these circumstances they feel better to appoint someone for the role to oversee the training of fire marshals, escape plans etc. One company I worked for appointed the maintenance manager for this role and was asked the question "what would happen if he was caught up in the disaster?". At this point we refreshed the policy where as the safety manager, security manager and maintenance team all had copy of procedures. So all I can see is that the BSC question would be aimed at companies that would be faced with similar situations. With referance to having trained fire staff I remember a situation involving some aresols being left on a flat roof in the sun. One had a funny reaction (sizzling bubbling etc) the 6 lads had just watched in amazement before one lad who was trained in a previous job put it out with fire extinguisher. Their comments afterwards was "we didnt know what to do or which extinguisher to use" That sitution could have resulted in a fatality. There was no fire so evacuation was not suitable but the situation would have developed into a fire if not dealt with properply. So i feel everbody should have the training to use a fire extinguisher but agree that it should be properply clarrified at which events people should attempt to deal with and what ones are best left to the proffesionals.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 18 September 2003 08:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Jason, I agree with your comments regarding the intention of the BSC question - emergency preparedness being the main concern - but the example you gave regarding the aerosol can was a situation resolved due to the ingenuity and initative of those involved. Fire extinguisher training wouldn't have given them that knowledge - on that occasion they assessed the situation and took what turns out to be effective action. I would contend that even if someone else had been there who HAD received extinguisher training at some point, they wouldn't necessarily have reacted in the same way - because it hadn't been on fire at the time. Set light to it, however . . . To my knowledge, most fire fighting training already assumes a fire is in progress and trains the individuals on how to identify the fuel/source, so the appropriate extinguisher is selected and they are shown how to actually tackle the fire. My concenrn is that the training doesn't necessarily emphasise the dangers of flash-over enough so that the personnel would abandon any attempts to fight the fire and decide to evacuate instead - or even start fighting it at all. Even the time taken to decide is dangerous. And add the factor that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing in itself, plus the adrenaline rush that discovering a fire will create, then I fear the wrong decision will be made to fight the fire when in reality it is already a lost cause, and the risk of injury or loss rockets substantially as a consequence. In other words, we trained them to enter a danger zone they really should have run away from. Easy in hindsight, vision is always 20:20. Also, I would defy anyone to be able define what would be acceptable conditions regarding a fire situation that would allow personnel to make a reasoned and accurate assessment of the situation in order to decide whether or not to fight a fire at all. Quite simply, I think it would take far more effort and cause too much debate and possible dissent to even attempt it, rather than follow the KISS principle - get out, stay out! How hard is that? My brief is to keep people safe. I intend to do that in the simplest way possible - not with long procedures or complex plans that few read and fewer understand - just simple instructions routinely repeated so they are being continually reinforced in peoples minds so that, should it happen, they do the right thing. In the case of fire, that is simple - evacuate. But I fully endorse the principle and application of emergency planning - being adequately prepared increases awareness and in turn reduces the risk of the event even occurring, and that can only be a good thing. If we concentrate on the prevention, we reduce the emphasis on and hence relevance of precautions. If there is little or no risk of fire, why waste time and resources on tackling it?
Admin  
#9 Posted : 18 September 2003 10:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Sean, the long-quoted 'definition' of a 'small fire' which trained staff might be able to extinguish is 'about the size of a waste paper bin on fire'. Fire training usually says something like 'you may fight a small fire but only if safe to do so' and good training will include the hazards from smoke, compressed gases, flash-overs and the like - whilst emphasising the need to 'get out and get the Fire Brigade out'. However, individual fire situations may call for the use of extinguishers or fire-blankets where there is an immediate fire risk to persons or to enable escape to be carried out. I believe, therefore that training should include fire safety, fire prevention, fire protection, fire hazards and risks as well as fire extinguishing. In practice, it is believed that fire brigades attend 1 or 2 out of every 10 fires that start and so someone else is dealing with the other 8 or 9. The loss of life, property and employment that might occur should we always leave it to the fire brigades must, therefore, be worthy of consideration in this discussion. Untrained persons in fire situations may well do the wrong thing (eg put water on burning liquids, carry burning items out of the building or try to fight a fire that is too much for them). Fire information and training are, I believe, important in reducing the risk of fire and enabling survival and reduced loss should it occur.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 18 September 2003 13:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Hi sean I had to read your reply a couple of times to grasp what you were saying. yes I agree the main principle should be get out stay out etc IF POSSIBLE. But I have to disagree with your outlook on fire training etc. Every workplace has its individual fire hazards that are unique to themselves so as such a suitable assessment should be made as to level of fire protection needed. You say the simple way is to get out do not pass go, do not collect £200. This will most likely be peoples reaction if just material damage was going to be the result. What about Do not pass go and do not stop to extingish fire in passage way so that remaining staff may get out. Do not extinguish fire in hospital ward just ask three nurses to get out 27 patients who are bed ridden. Im afraid youll have to agree people will attempt to extinguish fires whever to save propety or lives that they may see as at risk. (shout rape nobody will come shout fire everybody will come running) Remember Sean some work collegues are dear freinds and will always want the assurance that their freinds are ok in the event of fires in the workplace (Hero factor). Its not me Its Human nature. I am with you that to try and determine which fires to approach is beyond the scope of this discussion and that by training people we are encouraging them to maybe tackle situations beyond their control. But i put it to you that it is the matter of training that has to be approached and there are very grey areas in some places, hence the need for fire co-ordinators. These people are usually ex fire service and have special training in these events. When they are on sites they undestand the fact that people will nosey when their is a fire. In high risk areas they will appoint fire marshals who usually recieve inhouse training aswell as going on fire safety courses. These fire marshals will cover fire evacuation etc. Smaller companies just make do with the initative factor you mentioned wich is my contention. To deny people the basic fire training skills because it may be a lenthy paperwork exercise or does not fit in to our SPECULATIVE Insurance losses is not the morraly correct way to go. Im no expert but surely If fighting fires was deemed such a risky buisness then fire brigades would not offer training and the abundance of guidance notes out their are not worth the paper their written on. If like you say the risk of flash over etc is so great then reinfore it with training or get your training provider to clarrify why this has not been included. (I shudder to think what thee headlines would make of casualties caught up in fire and none had fire training cos it was deemed to be more destructive than good) Just Dont think the public would buy it.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 19 September 2003 08:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew I. Butler Good Morning Thank you all for your contributions to this thread and those who have emailed me direct. Your comments are most appreciated. Andy
Admin  
#12 Posted : 19 September 2003 10:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson OK so where does it say 'you "shall" have qualified Fire safety Co-ordinator or Warden etc' ? It doesn't, cos if it did there would be loads of H&S consultants out there trying to get your business! Its up to the employer if in all the circumstances he deems it necessary.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 19 September 2003 11:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Dave I dont think anyone has said you have to have a fire safety co-ordinator. They are appointed by companies that feel the workload may be too much for a safety manager or maintenance etc. As both you sean and I myself state it is upt the individual companies to act with what ever measures they seem necessary as long as their reasonably practicable. My contention is that basic fire fighting and fire prevention training is reasonably practicable in all workplaces. And at some point sean is right when he states this can cause the potential for more harm than good. I would rather see a hero with basic skills than one without. The get out stay out and ignore everything that is going on around you is not a guarenteed way to prevent the loss of life as neither is the having trained (theory only) people in the building. This is more of a moral debate I think than a legal one. As i suspect either one would be acceptable untill an event happened that contrdicted the reasoning.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 19 September 2003 11:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton We have a Fire Co-ordinator and two deputies to cover for absences. As Fire Co-ordinator I should be expected to check with my Fire Marshalls that all staff have been evacuated and then liaise with the emergency services. I have two deputies who are trained to the same job and will pick up the responsibility in strict order, ie deputy 1 followed by deputy 2 so that two people are not doing the same job. It is also part of this role to check provision of fire equipment, test fire alarms, run drills and arrange fire extinguisher training. In the scenario of three nurses and however many bedridden patients - this is one of those instances where automatic sprinklers should be fitted that come on with the fire alarm - absolutely no one should be expected to fight a fire to protect bedridden patients, I know the nurses do some really horrible tasks but I don't think dying is on any job description. We share the same rules as most other people on this thread, get out and stay out, property can be replaced, people cannot although we do do fire extinguisher training as a matter of best practice. We have also ensured that every working area so far as is reasonably practicable, has two exits, just in the scenario that one is blocked by fire. Fire drills occasionally include me standing by a main exit with a sign which says "I am a fire", just to make people go the other way. Whether you call this person a safety officer, a fire co-ordinator or an incident co-ordinator is irrelevant, this is the person that takes on site charge of the situation and liaises with the emergency services. Hilary
Admin  
#15 Posted : 19 September 2003 11:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Yes Hilary I somehow knew the nurse situation would blow in my face lol but who said it wasnt just a small bin fire.. Spare of the moment thought I guess. I Totally agree with the way you do things and the get out stay out approach. I am not advocaitng the fighting of fires as that would be foolish and deadly. I am just trying to get accross the exception to the rule. Fires are put out in workplaces by memebres of staff everyday. These staff in the vast majority of cases have had thier company training. Levels of training vary depending on the type of buisness. General training always states the get out stay out principle but some workers will tackle a small fire. Like it has been said before the danger comes in two forms. 1. The worker may make a mistake by tackling a fire with basic knowledge. 2. The worker will may a mistake without basic knowledge. You say Fire extinguisher training is best practice. I say it is good backup Knowledge I just got the feeling that Sean seemed to think it was a waste of rescourses and a greater risk. Let me put the following scenario to you for your thoughts. Baring in mind the fire brigade demonstate this at their open days and the number of advice leaflets out their. 2 weeks ago I was cooking the kids tea. I had chip pan left on with hot oil. Smoke alarm went off in kitchen so i investigated. Their it was a smoking chip pan ready to ignite(not sure if they do). I had earlier in the year watched a demonstraion with the kids at local fire station. So I got damp cloth and smothered pan. After getting everything under control my girlfreind came in to investigat the damage and ear bash me lol. She then went on to say she would have thrown water over the pan. At this point I realise just how as the fire brigade staff stated the lack of knowledge is a very dangerous thing indeed as there was three kids at the kitchen door gawping with amazement. The final desision was Kids told to get out stay out and never attempt such a thing and my missus has read up on on the subject a little. Translate that into a work place. I have worked in many companies as a normal worker for 16 years. I have never had a fire drill and never recieved that basic fire extingusher training. So what is good practice etc for some companies is obviously not for a majority af others. For that reason I do feel strongly when it comes down to what people state are good fire prcedures. Even two nights ago I girlfreind comes home and asks me that her supervisor states the Home in which she works is stupid cos all the fire extinguishers are red. He claimed they were breaking the law. LOL This can go on forever.
Admin  
#16 Posted : 19 September 2003 13:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Understand where you are coming from Jason, probably not the best example to site though. Notwithstanding that, you have to say that making all fire extinguishers red was probably the worst decision that has ever been foisted up the UK - what a total and unmitigated disaster! Hilary
Admin  
#17 Posted : 19 September 2003 13:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser I'm pleased that I have stirred up some excellent debate on this subject - everyone has been putting in good points on the subject and it is good to know that we continue to put the people before the system and are not just advocating actions without reasonable justifications to back it up. Jason - I actually agree with your points regarding a good level of awareness needs to be maintained over all staff, so they can react appropriately in an emergency situation - any emergency, not just fire although that can be more dramatic than a flood. And we need to be aware that there is another regulatory requirement to bear in mind regarding emergency response, that being the environmental consequences of our actions. My point regarding extinguishers can be easily countered by "If you don't train people to use the extinguishers, then why have them?". Good question - we have them because our old Fire Certificate said we should. But now that we are heading down the risk assessment route and the FC is likely to become a thing of the past, like the Petroleum License that went out with the DSEAR, then would we consider getting rid of all our extinguishers? Not likely! I made mention of the fact that the majority of our staff had received actual fire-fighting training as part of the statutory offshore safety training course. As a result, should a fire break out at our premises, there are people on site who will have had the training to make a reasonable assessment of the situation and address it accordingly - including the decision to evacuate and leave it well alone! Therefore, I agree with the principle that the general level of awareness is raised among all staff - like I've said before, forewarned is forearmed. This awareness should include the fire triangle, the common causes of fire and the potential dangers involved. A good awareness not only allows them to handle an emergency situation should it occur, but generally it will improve behaviours and safety culture overall so the potential for an emergency is significantly reduced. And this was the crux of my point - we need to concentrate more on prevention than precautions, but that doesn't mean we can every fully abandon the precautions themselves - and training covers both approaches. What I was advocating was an emphasis on prevention, but not necessarily sacrificing training on precautions. The laws on health and safety-related training are in my view adequate to cover emergency preparedness. However, if this is beefed up by specific reference in Fire law then all well and good, but I would think the goal setting principle based on appropriate risk assessment will apply and it won't demand specific training requirements such as use of extinguishers - of course I might be wrong so feel free to advise me accordingly. DSEAR requires an appropriate risk assessment to be carried out - a good RA mechanism will have already included current fire precautions and prevention measures anyway so this shouldn't be too difficult to comply with. A clear plan, with nominated personnel to control and action as required, and appropriate facilities being provided and maintained is good and to be expected - but prevention is better than cure. Of the number of small fires that are successfully tackled on site before the need to contact the professionals - how many are properly investigated and the lessons learnt applied to ensure there is no repetition? Even better - surely the lessons being learnt should be shared amongst ALL companies so we can all take measures to ensure we DON'T have to deal with the same situations!
Admin  
#18 Posted : 19 September 2003 16:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould LOL LOL I have enjoyed this thread also and it is a great learning experiance for me. I am just a student and have not yet taken a role with those responsibilities so therefore I would not critic on what people do.(barring a few companies I have had the displeasure of working for) Sean I hope you dont think I was digging at your procedures cos after reading whole thread again I can see where your coming from, and as I have not been it those situations I should not critisize. Hilary LOL I will work on those examples but the chip pan was true and like sean said the addrenaline does cause you to think irrationally. Like you say Sean prevention should be the main rule and appropriate investigation of smaller incidents should not be ignored. Im back to studies hehehehe goto get a job soon. Its been a pleasure Thanks all Jason
Admin  
#19 Posted : 20 September 2003 23:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Get a fire blanket, Jason. They are better than wet cloths - which can dry out from the heat and then ignite. On the point that you don't have to have a Fire Safety Co-ordinator (or whatever you call them), if the employer doesn't give someone the job, he/she has to do it him/herself.
Admin  
#20 Posted : 21 September 2003 12:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Hindsight is always 20/20 Ken hehehehehe. Oven chips now to lose the pounds. Taste not too good though. I believe as I am told that a motorcycle museum went up in flames due to cigarrette stub. Dont know the particulars but im sure we will be seeing some more bans in public places.