Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 October 2003 16:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Pike
Can anyone help me in my search for qualitative or quantitative data that identifies where the utilisation of dynamic fire risk assesments on the fireground has positively reduced the number of fireground accidents and injuries to firefighters or members of the public?

Many thanks

Dave
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 October 2003 21:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Furness
Hi Dave,
not aware of any such study in relation to dynamic risk assessments I am afraid.
Those officers coming through my H&S training courses at the FSC and other training courses that we/i run for Fire services, have not indicated any awaremenss of such issues or indeed studies.
The majority of Brigade officers that I speak to are more concious of the ridiculous messages that must be sent to control to record the ongoing situation vis a vis the risks on the incident ground. Which until the HSE overbearingly insisted on a risk assessment recording mechanism , was dealt with by informative or make-up or stop messages.

Of course training in dynamic risk assessment is critical for all firefighters and officers alike and any steps that reduce firefighter risk must be seen as essential - best bet are qualitative surveys unless you use the Finds message system to get a selection of Brigades onboard for a quantitive study
Will however continue to enquire whilst I am conducting training and any info I gather I will pass on to you
regards
Andy
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 October 2003 08:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
I suspect that the main variables are reporting and recording rather than any significant increase in actual assessment in as much as any good OIC would have been assessing and managing risk on an ongoing basis. You could try asking your question on the FireNet Forum - http://www.globalcrisisc...er.com/BBSFire/index.php
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 October 2003 09:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Pike
Gents,
Many thanks for your replies and I will certainly pose the question on other sites such as FireNet.

I suppose my next question is where I can find detailed accident stats for the UK brigades that cover the time leading up to and beyond the implementation of formal dynamic fire risk assessment?

I fully accept the reasoning that an experienced OiC will have the requisite tools for maintaining a safe fireground for both emergency personnel (multi-agency) and members of the public, which is why I'm looking for some quantitative data.

I am carrying out some academic research as part of a post graduate degree course and as a full-time H&S manager I have an active interest in the outcome of the implementation of regulatory requirements.

To further muddy the water perhaps Andy could comment on the variables (if any)on the quality /quantity of training delivered to wholetime and retained operational staff?

Again, I'm looking for evidence that the acquisition (or lack of) training in dynamic fire risk assessment has impacted upon fireground safety.

Once again, many thanks for your input and help with my studies.

Dave
Admin  
#5 Posted : 28 October 2003 09:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roj Smith
Dave,

Every Brigade has to make a lengthy return to HM Fire Services Inspectorate regarding various facts, figures and statistics on all aspects of performance. A great many of these are H&S based and provide an opportunity for comparison of performance going back several years.

Your best bet is to contact HMI and ask them for a copy of the stats relating to H&S.

Anecdotal evidence that shows the improvement that Dynamic Risk assessment has brought in...

About seven or eight years ago, (i.e. pre D.R.A.) an officer once said to me, "Health and Safety is all very well but it does not apply to the Fire Service because it's a dangerous job". At that time, it was a common response. It is unlikely that many in the Fire Service today would share that sentiment.

Roj
Admin  
#6 Posted : 28 October 2003 17:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Pike
Hi Roj,

Thanks for your advice on the information supplied to HMI by the various brigades, this will surely prove very useful in a comparison between qualitative and quantitative data.

I'm also very interested in the anecdotal evidence as part of my qualitative study and appraisal and I'm hoping that the FireNet site will assist with that element of my research.

Many thanks

Dave