Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2004 22:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller I see that despite the ground swell of opposition this government is ignoring good scientific evidence and going ahead with production of new GM crops. Also America and Europe are exploring new possabilities on new planets. why don't they spend as much money on production of renewable energy, medicine and sustainable development? Is it not better that we complete the studies of this planet before we move on to destroy another? Another thought for the day Mike
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 January 2004 11:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Do you know whether any risk assessments on the genetic modification of crops have been produced and published?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 January 2004 12:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston Rather a one sided opinion. Have a look at both sides of the coin before making up your mind, rather than finding "evidence" to support your view. Ensure your "evidence" is independent, rather than funded by the GM company itself or a Green Activist group. I'm on the fence over the GM issue, but feel that many are are jumping down onto the anti-GM side of the fence through fear of the unknown. Remember that electricity was feared to begin with, and there was outrage over the first human organ transplants. "Evidence" was used to support those fears. Shane.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 January 2004 14:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Thomason I agree with Shane here. I am a biological safety officer, and in my previous job I had some involvement in evaluating risk assessments for GM crop trials. So I have reasonable knowledge of the technology and the risk assessments, and based on that I am not really that concerned about the safety of GM crop trials. I believe there are many other environmental risks that are far more pressing, and the human health risks in my opinion are very, very low. The economic/political aspects are another matter entirely, and based on those I'm not necessarily in favour of commercial GM crop growth. Look at the info from ACRE (Advisory Committee on Releases to the Environment) - these are the guys who give approval for crop trials. http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/acre/
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 January 2004 18:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Wood this is probably full of holes, 'cos it's time to go home, but..... if the evidence from the Greens and the GM companies is not independent (and while ACRE is "independent", a number of the individuals on it have registered interests to one side or the other) then us non-scientists have to make up our own minds. So, while i see the point about electricity and organ transplants................. surely for everything we once feared, that in the end turned out "good", we can name something that someone thought would be "good" that came back and slapped us right in the face. Ahh, those cigarettes, so relaxing, so good for the throat. blocked nose? use menthols! Thalidomide, cures your morning sickness, fast. Cattle feed too expensive? give 'em dead cows, it's so cheap! Different examples, with multiple causal factors and different ratios of "blame" to "misfortune". Similarities? all difficult to avoid until the true dangers were in the public domain, and for some it was too late. I NOW know to avoid cigarettes, for instance, and can do so fairly easily (notwithstanding forum threads passim!) - but it feels like it will be a lot more difficult for me to avoid GM foods, or foods with GM ingredients, maybe until it's too late. Even if I accept, for a moment, that GM foods will not harm me directly, can we be absolutely sure that there will be no detrimental effects on the food-chain (remember that cattle feed!), and that we can put it right if we need to? It's also hard not to be suspicious when we have a society where the biggest purse so often gets the loudest shout. So, excuse me if i decide to fall (sorry, descend the properly secured ladder) on to the cautious (if not wholly cynical) side of the fence for now. More cast-iron guarantees needed. I might have to do a bit more reading to see if the economical/political aspects can be separated from the safety aspects - isn't it because people aren't sure about the possible safety and economical effects that it's become a political issue? and....just as i slip, trip and fall off my soapbox (no proper risk assessment!)........er, how did i wander on to the GM crops forum?!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 January 2004 19:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller Well Diane Might I ask you how it is possible to grow GM crops in safe environment and not contaminate the surrounding areas?. Do birds and animals who visit these fields spread contaminants to other sites. Does the wind not facilitate cross pollination onto other none GM crops? I ask you because you seem to speak with some authority on the subject. My opinion is that nature has an uncanny way of hitting back and always wins in the end. Trouble is we will have to endure the terrible consequences in the meantime. We could be creating a monster that may wipe out millions of people or cause mass extinctions of flora and fauna. Who knows? Mike
Admin  
#7 Posted : 21 January 2004 21:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Some scary a possibly realistic comments on this subject. I personally dont have a stance on the subject (havnt got the time to ponder on it). I dont like the Idea about genetically modified frost surviving crops. This may alter the more simple celled creatures that usually only thrive in summer times etc. If that could possibly happen then we may end up with disease spreading flys in winter. Then in JASONS WORLD we go on to the scenario about the lady who swallowed a fly then ate a spider to kill the fly etc. And finnally Hundreds of years down the road when were close to extiction by the triffids we may say that was a bad idea!. Thank God we don't live in jays world or do we. "Dodododo dodododo doong doong do" (twilight zone theme tune) P.s. Jobs on Mars may be right up my street LOL Jason
Admin  
#8 Posted : 22 January 2004 11:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Thomason Mike, Discussing this properly here would take far too long but I offer the following: 1. What exactly are the "contaminants" that are being spread around? A GM plant is generally identical to the non-modified parent except for the function of a single gene. If you mean things like herbicide resistance then there is limited potential for transfer to other plants, the potential harm from which is considered in the risk assessment. 2. Cross-pollination by wind - sometimes possible, sometimes not, again taken account of in the risk assessment. I simply don't agree with the scary monsters fears generated by GM. I agree with you that nature can bite back badly (introducing rabbits to Australia was a great idea wasn't it?!) but in this particular scenario I honestly think that the risks from GM crop trials are of far less significance than existing and pressing environmental horrors - habitat destruction, loss of species and genetic diversity, introduction of alien species, pollution, impact of monoculture farming methods...... I did say however that I don't necessarily agree with all commercial GM crop farming - e.g. crops designed to be resistant to the herbicide that the plant breeder sells - this is a mechanism to tie the farmer to the supplier. It's all just my opinion of course, but in my experience people who have good knowledge of the technology have few fears of it. Best wishes Diane