Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 February 2004 19:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By andrew byron I am two thirds of the way through the nebosh deploma part 1 and I am a part time safety advisor for my empolyer, I would like to enter into a career in H&S. Every vacancy asked for 2 years or more full time experience which i do not have,has anyone got any tips or pointers for me to follow as i am finding vacancies hard to find. many thanks andrew
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2004 08:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Andrew, Apply anyway! If you feel it fits your needs, and you think you can do the job, then there is always room to negotiate with the prospective employer. Emphasise the activites you have been involved in - you may be part time, but if you have been instrumental in establishing or revitalising the SMS in your organisation, then this would count poisitively towards you if compared to a more "experienced" individual who has just been sailing along. Accentuate the positive and be ready to answer questions about the negative - what may look bad to start with could be turned around and made to look better under a different light.