Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 March 2004 22:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller I have a wee problem which some of the contributors to this forum may be able to help me with. I am aware that hot desking is now a fact of life in some industries. Call centers for example are mushrooming in the UK. However This concept is being introduced in one of our work locations for the first time, and a local authority too. Reorganisation has meant relocation into new premises. It is proposed that because most of these workers are out of the office 50% of the day they can actually double up at a work station. The theory being that a work station will always be available for someone, somewhere at some time but not necessarily the same one. management have said that it is the cost of rental (£ per Sq Ft of floor space)that has prompted this as they do not want to pay for empty desk space 50% of the week. What I am looking for is some information around this issue regarding risk assessment and compliance with DSE and welfare at work. I am aware of some of the issues surrounding this practice such as training in work station assessment, and adjustment etc. However this is not one of my strengths as I am mainly construction orientated. I would be grateful for any advise I can get on this subject. Maybe there is a call cenre safety pro out there? It is suffice to say that we have a lot of unhappy bunnies and I do want to put this issue to bed before it all gets out of hand. Thank you all in anticipation MIke
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2004 09:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze Mike, I'm not a call centre pro as such, but the situation you describe is virtually identical to the one we have. Workstation assessments become an absolute nightmare as no one feels entirely responsible for where they are working. The way to overcome this is through training. Each individual needs to know how to set up their workstation in an ergonomic & safe manner. Another solution we came up with was to try & twin workers together who worked very different hours. That way it became less hot desking & more desk sharing, this helps increase personal responsibility for the workspace area although it requres an accurate diary to be kept to avoid fights for space. Each workstation should ideally be set up with a laptop docking port & keyboard as working for long periods on a laptop can cause injury. Finally expect a drop in staff morale & co-operation in the short term (your comments suggest you have already experienced this) although I have found that this disappears as the changes are accepted. Hope this helps. Jon (PS the more cynical & world weary will note that once the hidden costs have been factored in (training, hardware, morale etc.) the savings will probably cover the cost of an extra 2nd class stamp per week.)
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 March 2004 19:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller Thanks John This is the approach that I had in mind regarding training in work station assessment. I do not have a problem with the principle of hot desking provided it is managed properly. Managed being the operative word. However Management will rely on the workers to manage it with very little training and imput that is when the trouble will start. The target workforce are social workers who have many bigger problems to worry about. As for morale the bun fight has already started with some refusing to relocate. The reason I bounced the problem off this thread is that I intend to write a report to management and the HR safety team listing the concerns surrounding this issue and I would have liked to include the relevant information from this site. I am prepared to lay bets that the HR safety team are unaware of the proposals. Perhaps tele-working might have been a better solution. Mike
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 March 2004 17:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt The answer, as far as I see it, is two fold. 1) Ensure each individual is trained in the use of workstations including all the adjustments that can be made to the various items. 2) Make sure each workstation has an adjustable monitor stand and other standard peripherals such as a footrest, document holder, wrist rest etc. If the above two items are in place it should then be a simple matter of encouraging employees to set up the workstation to suit themselves prior to starting work.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 March 2004 19:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller Thanks Geoff I'm on the case !! Mike
Admin  
#6 Posted : 05 April 2004 03:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By SafetyGuru G'day Mike, Our current EHS process re: Hot desking is; 1. continiuos training (ie induction, annual ergo refresher etc). 2. conduct annual EHS audits 3. conduct regular workstation audits 4. provided workstation setup awareness programs 5. make sure all desk, chairs, computer assessories are the same across all workstations and in complaince with currrent Standards and legislation. 6. train managers as worksation assessors. 7. and if injury occurred, then have an effective return to work program in place. Hope the above info helps. Cheers Bobby
Admin  
#7 Posted : 05 April 2004 08:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Dear Mike, Whilst hot desking is in theory a good idea, there are a number of pitfalls as you are in no doubt aware! In addition to the obvious problems of the ergonomics of the workstations, such as keyboards, desks, chairs, foot rests etc, individual variances must be considered, such as left handed, myopic, very short and very tall people, as well as: 1. Where do persons store their day-to-day papers and files. If you don't make arrangements they'll claim desks as people need their personal space and territory. 2. When docked is there full access to all software, on all computers, if not you'll have bottle necks whilst waiting for critical access. Additionally have all the issues around software licenses, computer security (both hard and soft) and data protection been thought through. 3. Does your hot desking take account for peak loading, such as first thing am, mid day and end of the day, as well as weekly and monthly peaks. Either carry out a proper study or aim for 70% of the personnel load, and review it over a year. Don't ask me why 70%, but it usually works! 4. Have you consulted with the workforce and got their views or is it a bright idea from the top that is being imposed. If it is being imposed, you'll have real problems. If it is being imposed, stop, inform the workforce that it going to happen, but that you want and need their help and assistance to make it work. Involve them, listen and act upon their suggestions, as the'll make it work or fail! Regards Adrian Watson