Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 August 2004 23:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Declan O'Driscoll Could anybody advise me regarding the correct procedure for repairing scaffold components i.e. Welding V pressings on system scaffold, straightening bent standards etc. My main concern is the authority for the sub contracted scaffold company (not a manufactuer)to undertake these repairs.If a repaired component failed on site (How can I protect the company employing me as a Safety Consultant) I would be gratefull for any suggestions or ideas Regards Declan.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 August 2004 23:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Caboche Declan, don't repair them, chuck them out. They are cheap as chips to replace. Bent poles should be cut down to a suitable straight length. Again the same applies to a system scaffold component, just bin it and replace. Any damaged component is a potential structural failure. Regards John
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 August 2004 17:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert.J Don't forget to record the repairs / dis-assembly / re-assembly of parts. The scaff-tag system of recording works very well.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 August 2004 18:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller I agree. No repaired article can ever be as safe. Would you repair or straighten a bent ladder rung? or just saw it up? Not worth the worry Destroy the parts and buy new. Mike
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 August 2004 20:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Pope Declan This make do and mend philosophy was common years ago. I once arranged for the aluminium hook of a roof ladder to have a welded repair by a skilled welder, who I am sure made a fairly good repair weld. It failed in service and nearly caused the death of a painter. Regarding cold straightening of scaffold tube by the lorry mounted machine we were of the opinion that the stresses set up in the damaged tube were not relieved and that when manhandled roughly the tube would readily revert to its bent shape. Don't repair, the material will no longer comply with the BS.