Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
firesafety101  
#1 Posted : 06 November 2009 17:13:20(UTC)
firesafety101

Please look at the following link and comment and then read my question. http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2009/coisco12009.htm “Mr Pratt used the type of barrier normally found at a roadworks site as protection at the top of the shaft, which is totally unsuitable for that purpose. I've had a discussion this afternoon with a CDM C who is of the opinion that this type of barrier is OK to use if it is approx. 1.5 metres back from the exposed edge and is not secured. I believe him to be wrong, does anyone agree with me, if so how can I make him see his error?
UVSAR  
#2 Posted : 06 November 2009 17:33:12(UTC)
UVSAR

I have photos of the incident in question, and the fault was that the barrier _was_ right at the edge of the shaft, so when the IP leaned out to steady a tub of cement, it fell over and he fell with it. Nothing secured the barrier to the walls or floor. Edge 'demarcation', set a *significant* distance back from the edge to prevent access by administrative means, can be of any form that makes itself obvious, therefore streetworks kit is fine (as is a chain, or hazard tape and poles). Edge 'protection' is a physical safety barrier placed at the edge itself, and must be of suitable strength to stay in place even if you throw yourself at it, as defined in the WAHR.
firesafety101  
#3 Posted : 06 November 2009 19:34:55(UTC)
firesafety101

Could you define "significant" as in your response. I wouldn't mind a glimps of the photo if poss. Many thanks
UVSAR  
#4 Posted : 07 November 2009 13:19:09(UTC)
UVSAR

If you can get hold of a copy of HSW magazine Aug 2009, we have some photos on page 8. 'Significant' varies - it's the distance needed to ensure nobody can be at risk from or by the edge (falling over it, dropping a spanner on someone below, etc.) even if they fall against the demarcation barrier itself. On a horizontal surface I'd make it 2m to 3m as a minimum, but if there's a slope it may not be possible at all. Structural edge barriers can of course be right at the edge, and usually are. The rule-of-thumb for WAH near unprotected edges is that PFPE is required if approaching closer than *about* 2m, i.e. a little more than the distance you could fall if you tripped over something. The distance isn't defined in law, only via the concept of "being able to fall". Setting demarcation a fraction further back ensures even if someone trips over the barrier itself, or it bends in the wind (as with a chain or rope), they're still safe.
firesafety101  
#5 Posted : 08 November 2009 11:30:47(UTC)
firesafety101

UVSAR thank you that is most helpful.