Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zanshin67  
#1 Posted : 28 February 2011 15:35:06(UTC)
Zanshin67

Hi All could anyone please define .An accident .An incident I am in the throws of updating a policy and if anyone could help I am attempting to prepare a list of potential work related incidents cheers Dave
freelance safety  
#2 Posted : 28 February 2011 15:43:37(UTC)
freelance safety

Accident: An unexpected / undesirable event. Incident: An occurrence / event that interrupts normal procedure.
Guru  
#3 Posted : 28 February 2011 16:03:59(UTC)
Guru

We use the following definition... Accident: An unplanned, uncontrolled event which has resulted in injury to persons. Incident: An unplanned, uncontrolled event that did not cause injury to persons, but could have or resulted in damage to plant or equipment.
freelance safety  
#4 Posted : 28 February 2011 16:08:13(UTC)
freelance safety

Guru, do all accidents result in a person being injured...?
martin1  
#5 Posted : 28 February 2011 16:09:49(UTC)
martin1

I was always told to avoid the use of the word ACCIDENT as it implies an event over which we had no control ( this was working for an american petro chemical company ). The term incident was used for any unplanned event that resulted in either a near miss or an injury.
johnc  
#6 Posted : 28 February 2011 16:26:44(UTC)
johnc

The IOSH Healthcare Risk and safety managment course used the following definitions: An accident is ‘an unplanned event that may result in injury or ill heath of people, or damage or loss to property, equipment, plant, materials or the environment . (HSE) An incident is defined as any occurrence that is inconsistent with the routine care of the patient or the routine operation of the organisation. Take care John C
Nick House  
#7 Posted : 28 February 2011 16:37:05(UTC)

Guru - is your definition of an incident not more in line witha 'near miss' (or more correctly, 'near hit')?
SteveL  
#8 Posted : 28 February 2011 16:37:57(UTC)
SteveL

Accident; an unexpected or undesirable event that results in harm, injury or damage Incident; an unexpected event that had the potential to cause harm, injury or damage.
IanS  
#9 Posted : 28 February 2011 17:04:05(UTC)
IanS

This is one of those horses for courses questions. For our part, an Accident is any injury to a person, an Incident is anything else, near miss, an actual event not causing injury or even just a hazard identified (and hopefully controlled before it becomes an accident). Not suggesting for one minute that this is "correct", just the way it works for us.
Bob Shillabeer  
#10 Posted : 28 February 2011 17:07:13(UTC)
Bob Shillabeer

In my trusted old book by John Ridley & John Channing, Safety at Work it is suggested the definition af an accident is "an unexpected, unplanned event in a sequence of events that occurs through a combination of causes; it results in physical harm (injury or disease) to an individual, damage to property, a near miss, lose, or any combination of these effects." A bit long winded but sounds right to me.
jay  
#11 Posted : 28 February 2011 17:10:07(UTC)
jay

Due to varying degrees of definitions etc, even in respected safety publications, you need to get your definitions and then be consistent. Since we use the OSHA system for internal/corporate reporting, we use:- Accident An event has occurred and somebody has been hurt. The sub-categories for accidents are:- First Aid Medical Treatment Case Restricted Work Case Lost Time Case Incident An event has occurred and there has been damage to equipment or a spill has gone beyond the point at which material can be recovered. Near Miss An “event” has occurred but nobody has been injured and no equipment has been damaged. Potential Hazard A hazard is identified. The last one, potential hazard can be challenging as there can be hundreds reported, but we have a system for dealing with them as most of them are to do with perception of hazards dealt with by our facilities management contractor.
freelance safety  
#12 Posted : 28 February 2011 17:10:59(UTC)
freelance safety

Covered all the bases Bob. Did you define incident (think I need new glasses)?
Guru  
#13 Posted : 28 February 2011 18:34:56(UTC)
Guru

Any event which has resulted in an injury to a person is treated as an accident. Any event which had the potential to cause injury but didnt, or resulted in damage to plant or equipment is treated as an incident / near miss. The system works well for us and as ians says it's 'horses for courses'
freelance safety  
#14 Posted : 28 February 2011 18:37:31(UTC)
freelance safety

I’d agree with that sentiment however, not all accidents result in injury to persons.
Ron Hunter  
#15 Posted : 28 February 2011 23:14:53(UTC)
Ron Hunter

Choose one term and stick with it. The rest is semantics.
Ken Slack  
#16 Posted : 01 March 2011 10:40:00(UTC)
Ken Slack

freelance safety wrote:
I’d agree with that sentiment however, not all accidents result in injury to persons.
We would call that an incident, or near-miss..
safetyamateur  
#17 Posted : 01 March 2011 11:38:18(UTC)
safetyamateur

'Incident' covers everything, even near-misses. And the 'unplanned...' quote is the definition. Can't get my head around 'potential hazard'. 'Hazard' is something with potential to harm/damage. Therefore, everything's a hazard and assessing the risk is the key.
Clairel  
#18 Posted : 01 March 2011 11:51:26(UTC)
Clairel

Is it any wonder that this profession struggles with credibility when we can't even agree on the definitons of something so simple as incident and accident!!
Ken Slack  
#19 Posted : 01 March 2011 12:03:06(UTC)
Ken Slack

Clairel, We could go back and use the common dictionary terms......... but even the Cambridge and Oxford Dictionaries have different definitions of incident.... what chance do we have of agreeing !?! ;)
freelance safety  
#20 Posted : 01 March 2011 12:16:32(UTC)
freelance safety

Ken Slack wrote:
freelance safety wrote:
Ken, think about my definition below and the principle of an accident: Accident: An unexpected / undesirable event. Incident: An occurrence / event that interrupts normal procedure.
jay  
#21 Posted : 01 March 2011 12:29:15(UTC)
jay

Claire, This has little to do with credibility, but more to do with the use of words that do not have a consistent use, especially when used in various parts of the world. Even an internationally renowned treatise such as the fourth edition of the International Labour Organization’s Encyclopaedia of Occupational Health and Safety has to clarify the use of such terms-refer to:- http://www.ilo.org/safew...mp;nd=170000102&nh=0 Accident Theory An accident (including those that entail injuries) is a sudden and unwanted event, caused by an outside influence, that causes harm to people and results from the interaction of people and objects. "....often the use of the term accident in the workplace is linked with personal injury. Damage to a machine is often referred to as a disruption or damage, but not an accident. Damage to the environment is often called an incident. Accidents, incidents and disruptions which do not result in injury or damage are known as “near accidents” or “near misses”. So while it may be considered appropriate to refer to accidents as cases of injury to workers and to define the terms incident, disruption and damage separately as they apply to objects and the environment, in the context of this article they will all be referred to as accidents" That is why the a possible way forward is for organisations to define it for themselves and then stick to the definitions. Safety Amateur, We encourage "Potential Hazard reporting" (despite carrying out risk assessments) as that is the bottom of the accident triangle/pyramid and the hazards are dealt with, it will not escalate into near-misses/incidents/accidents. For example, despite regular maintenance, a fire door "sticks" and does not close fully. Our employees report it to our FM contractor-via a phone-no form filling- and it gets "sorted" , but we maintain a count of such reports and also analyse them for trends. This system suits our site. I am not saying it will be suitable for all manner of activities/sites, but the message is that due to varying use of the words and yes, lack of agreement internationally or even nationally , it is up to the users to do it.
walker  
#22 Posted : 01 March 2011 12:32:30(UTC)
walker

I'm with Martin1 in post 5
Ken Slack  
#23 Posted : 01 March 2011 12:34:26(UTC)
Ken Slack

freelance safety wrote:
Ken Slack wrote:
freelance safety wrote:
Ken, think about my definition below and the principle of an accident: Accident: An unexpected / undesirable event. Incident: An occurrence / event that interrupts normal procedure.
Yep seen that, the problem being your definition of an accident does seem a little vague, a dog pooped in our works entrance garden this morning, was it unexpected and undesirable, absolutely, was it an accident, no. did interrupt my normal procedure, yes..........
Clairel  
#24 Posted : 01 March 2011 12:34:34(UTC)
Clairel

jay wrote:
Claire, This has little to do with credibility, but more to do with the use of words that do not have a consistent use, especially when used in various parts of the world.
I'm fully aware of the reasons why there is inconsistency in the usage of and disagreement on the definitions. My point is that to the outside world (ie outside of H&S) it comes across rather differently. That how can they possibly understand if we don't. A case for standardised meanings within the profession I think!!
Ken Slack  
#25 Posted : 01 March 2011 12:38:06(UTC)
Ken Slack

Clairel wrote:
jay wrote:
Claire, This has little to do with credibility, but more to do with the use of words that do not have a consistent use, especially when used in various parts of the world.
I'm fully aware of the reasons why there is inconsistency in the usage of and disagreement on the definitions. My point is that to the outside world (ie outside of H&S) it comes across rather differently. That how can they possibly understand if we don't. A case for standardised meanings within the profession I think!!
I am with you Claire, maybe IOSH could champion the cause of creating common definitions of the all-to-unfamiliar language that our profession uses.
freelance safety  
#26 Posted : 01 March 2011 12:49:12(UTC)
freelance safety

Ken Slack wrote:
freelance safety wrote:
Ken Slack wrote:
freelance safety wrote:
Yep seen that, the problem being your definition of an accident does seem a little vague, a dog pooped in our works entrance garden this morning, was it unexpected and undesirable, absolutely, was it an accident, no. did interrupt my normal procedure, yes..........
Ken, these were not MY definitions. They were taken from my university lecturer who incidentally trained nearly all the HSE inspectors at Aston Uni when they had the contract and is a leading world-wide expert of the subject. If you do a search on the net and type in accident/incident definitions you will see that the definitives are elusive to a specific area – they have to be if you logically think about it. An accident does not by definition have to result in injury, that’s the point that was made. This equally does not make it automatically an incident.
Guru  
#27 Posted : 01 March 2011 13:02:05(UTC)
Guru

A quick Google on IOSH's definition of an accident brought me to a couple of IOSH reports defining accidents as: Accident – any adverse event(s) that results in injury or ill-health.
Ken Slack  
#28 Posted : 01 March 2011 13:02:05(UTC)
Ken Slack

Freelance, Well I bow to his superior knowledge and experience in the matter, but as a mere minion could you clarify where would I record an unexpected/undesirable occurence that interrupted my normal procedure?
ahoskins  
#29 Posted : 01 March 2011 13:11:02(UTC)
ahoskins

Our definition of an accident is: An unplanned, undesired (often unexpected) event which interrupts the completion of an activity and may result in injury or damage. The incident is the sequence of events leading up to it.
safetyamateur  
#30 Posted : 01 March 2011 13:18:21(UTC)
safetyamateur

Going back to David1967's original post, can't help but assume he wants something that will explain what his colleagues should be reporting. Our knowledge as professionals can often get in the way of a nice, simple definition that the shopfloor can handle. We go for incidents as the word 'accident' has become inextricably linked with injury. We want them to report anything that may have or did result in injury/ill-health/damage/whatever and 'Incidents' does the job. One word, no need for multiple words and definitions which people haggle over and end up not reporting because it's too complicated. Report the lot and let God [H&S professional] sort them out. Once the reporting cultures embedded you can work on the sophistication of it. Good thread, though.
freelance safety  
#31 Posted : 01 March 2011 13:27:46(UTC)
freelance safety

Ken Slack wrote:
Freelance, Well I bow to his superior knowledge and experience in the matter, but as a mere minion could you clarify where would I record an unexpected/undesirable occurence that interrupted my normal procedure?
Oh Ken, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but I will bite. The definitions are exactly that. Each accident/incident should be defined by the causational nature of them. So by conducting/investigating the root cause you can define if the occurrence was an accident/incident possibly elements of both for complicated cases! Suggest you PM me and I'll forward contact details of expert who can provide you with some information on the subject matter.
Canopener  
#32 Posted : 01 March 2011 13:31:28(UTC)
Canopener

I'm with Ron regarding semantics and also (somewhat paradoxically) with Claire regarding a standardised term/definition. I also have some empathy with safety am's recent post. IOSH principles suggests Accident - is an incident plus it's consequences, the end product of a sequence of events or actions resulting in an undesired consequence, injury, property damage, delay etc). Incident - is that sequence of events or actions. It goes on later to define an accident more fully, as an undesired event which results in physical harm and/or property damage usually resulting from contact with a source of energy above the ability of the body or structure to withstand it. Horses for courses?
freelance safety  
#33 Posted : 01 March 2011 13:35:59(UTC)
freelance safety

I quite like those definitions Phil! Thanks for the imput.
jay  
#34 Posted : 01 March 2011 13:43:59(UTC)
jay

There already is a body of internationally and nationally recognised/accepted standards in which IOSH was involved (with other stakeholders) in compilation, such as the ones below, so there is perhaps no need to revisit it except for us as practioners to be aware that there are such definitions, but it is almost impossible to prevent others from using thier own versions as they see fit. BS OHSAS 18001:2007 "Occupational health and safety management systems – Requirements" definitions Clause 3.9 Incident: work-related event(s) in which an injury or ill health (regardless of severity) or fatality occurred, or could have occurred NOTE 1: An accident is an incident which has given rise to injury, ill health or fatality. NOTE 2: An incident where no injury, ill health, or fatality occurs may also be referred to as a “near-miss”, “near-hit”, “close call” or “dangerous occurrence”. NOTE 3 An emergency situation (see 4.4.7) is a particular type of incident. Accident The term “accident” is now included in the term “incident” (see clause 3.9). BS 18004:2001 "Guide to achieving effective occupational health and safety performance" definitions:- Accident (Clause 3.2):- incident (ref clause 3.13) giving rise to injury, ill health or fatality Clause 3.13 Incident:- Work-related event(s) in which an injury or ill health (3.12) (regardless of severity) or fatality occurred, or could have occurred NOTE 1 An accident (3.2) is an incident which has given rise to injury, ill health or fatality. Ken, I am aware of the individual you are referring to and he was a member of the original BSI comittee (HS/1 & Drafting comittee HS1/-/1 that was involved in BS 8800:1996 and BS 8800:2004, Guide to Occupational Healthn 7 Safety Mnagement Systems that has now become BS 18004. Although he may have his view, we have to recognise that not all users of there terms are academics and we can see the effort made in the definitions in BS OHSAS 18001 & BS 18004 to try to make some headway in the confusion that exists!
Victor Meldrew  
#35 Posted : 01 March 2011 13:46:28(UTC)

Nice 1 Clairel..... some things never change eh?. This thread could run and run - it has certainly made us smile on a very dull day ;-)
walker  
#36 Posted : 01 March 2011 13:48:22(UTC)
walker

freelance safety wrote:
I quite like those definitions Phil! Thanks for the imput.
As Phil implies theye are the words of the late great Allan St John Holt who would have loved this post ;-)
freelance safety  
#37 Posted : 01 March 2011 13:49:09(UTC)
freelance safety

It's giving me somthing to do whilst the sun shines down on me - rofl!
Guru  
#38 Posted : 01 March 2011 13:49:50(UTC)
Guru

To summarise...I'm right and everyone that disagrees is wrong! na na nana na! :)
Andrew W Walker  
#39 Posted : 01 March 2011 13:50:24(UTC)
Andrew W Walker

David1967 wrote:
Hi All could anyone please define .An accident .An incident I am in the throws of updating a policy and if anyone could help I am attempting to prepare a list of potential work related incidents cheers Dave
I hope you stood well back when you lit the blue touch paper!!!
freelance safety  
#40 Posted : 01 March 2011 13:51:18(UTC)
freelance safety

Guru, I'm glad you have set the academic bar! I'm off for a nice cup of Yorkshire tea.