Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
adriankennedy-jones  
#41 Posted : 24 April 2020 12:28:35(UTC)
adriankennedy-jones

It's worth noting that if you are buying masks you should be very careful at the moment. My company is buying a stock just in case they are required as part of the back to work procedure, and we have been offered two batches by our suppliers both when I looked into them had very suspect paperwork that looked fantastic but on closer inspection was fraudulant or worthless.

My personal feeling is that it would be very difficult for the government to enforce and stipulating that employees had to wear masks before returning would be very difficult for them when they are struggling to get enough for the NHS. Additionally having seen people using masks in the supermarket and at work it appears that they not used correctly and spend most of their time hanging around people's necks. 

thanks 1 user thanked adriankennedy-jones for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 24/04/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#42 Posted : 26 April 2020 20:25:43(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52430738 Plenty of "fakes" (i.e. ineffective devices appearing)so lets be sensible - unless the government are issuing tested devices lets avoid any concept of the general public sourcing their own protection.Either the seller will be taking money and not delivering OR the device will not be giving the assumed protection.

Edited by user 26 April 2020 20:35:02(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

Roundtuit  
#43 Posted : 26 April 2020 20:25:43(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52430738 Plenty of "fakes" (i.e. ineffective devices appearing)so lets be sensible - unless the government are issuing tested devices lets avoid any concept of the general public sourcing their own protection.Either the seller will be taking money and not delivering OR the device will not be giving the assumed protection.

Edited by user 26 April 2020 20:35:02(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

boblewis  
#44 Posted : 27 April 2020 07:10:03(UTC)
boblewis

Originally Posted by: Nathan Fuller Go to Quoted Post
Hello all! I have just joined and thought I would get stuck right in!It is my understanding that the mask idea is following recent studies showing that a sneeze has the potential of travelling up to 8 metres and that the current guidelines of the 2 metres "social distancing" maynot be enough!As already mentioned, there just isn't enough masks to hand out,(even though our Government seems to be purchasingsome from China!) what use are they, are they fitted correctly and are they adequate for the job intended, whatever that may be.It seems to me that it is more of a response to the ridiculous few that can't cover their mouth when they cough or sneeze in an appropriate fashion!
The research giving these 8m distances was not undertaken using droplets but rather a fine aerosol mist - the droplet size was admitted by the researchers as only likely to occur during intubation for forced ventilation, hence the need for very high protection levels during such procedures in ICU. Cough and sneezes do not produce this droplet size.
thanks 1 user thanked boblewis for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 13/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#45 Posted : 28 April 2020 14:09:54(UTC)
Roundtuit

Now Nicola Sturgeon has jumped on the face covering band waggon

Does this mean banks will relax their security concerns?

Edited by user 28 April 2020 14:12:09(UTC)  | Reason: bank security

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 28/04/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 28/04/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#46 Posted : 28 April 2020 14:09:54(UTC)
Roundtuit

Now Nicola Sturgeon has jumped on the face covering band waggon

Does this mean banks will relax their security concerns?

Edited by user 28 April 2020 14:12:09(UTC)  | Reason: bank security

A Kurdziel on 28/04/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 28/04/2020(UTC)
Ade1983  
#47 Posted : 06 May 2020 17:57:34(UTC)
Ade1983

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Paul911 (and others) Covid-19 has NOT re-written the rules regarding the heirarchy of control which remains UNCHANGED = PPE is the last resort of any sensible employer resting just above discipline.

We are meant to try everything else in response to an assessment deploying PPE as a last desperate measure.

In the supermarket today I heard the checkout operator explain to the supervisor that she was on the till rather than the customer service desk as her colleague has "claustraphobia" issues behind the recently installed screens.

This is exactly what i have been arguing about with the company I work for for the last few days who decided against my advice and have ordered stocks of face masks just incase and have said something is better then nothing. After plenty of arguements from myself about the masks are designed to protect others and not the user, that masks open more issues with increased contact with the face and that the hierarchy of control should be followed before even considering the use of masks this has been completley disregarded.

The best part was one of the directors stating that the "media hasnt said that we shouldnt use masks and everyone on TV is wearing masks of some kind and no government offical has said we should or shouldnt"...... My response only Public Health England, WHO, Europeon Disease control, HSE directing to public health england and the Construction Leadership Council have stated that face masks shouldnt be used unless all other measures have been taken and implemented

Slowly giving up

Roundtuit  
#48 Posted : 06 May 2020 18:40:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

Don't give up, get even.

When the masks arrive go to town verifying that they are:

1) CE marked

2) Tested by an EU Notified Body (there should be a number in the CE label)

3) That the Notified Body is considered competent by the EU to test such devices

https://ec.europa.eu/growth/sectors/mechanical-engineering/personal-protective-equipment_en

So many dodgy masks appearing thanks to the global shortage anywhere between next to useless and useless

Ade1983 on 06/05/2020(UTC), Ade1983 on 06/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#49 Posted : 06 May 2020 18:40:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

Don't give up, get even.

1) CE marked

3) That the Notified Body is considered competent by the EU to test such devices

https://ec.europa.eu/growth/sectors/mechanical-engineering/personal-protective-equipment_en

So many dodgy masks appearing thanks to the global shortage anywhere between next to useless and useless

Ade1983 on 06/05/2020(UTC), Ade1983 on 06/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#50 Posted : 07 May 2020 13:22:25(UTC)
Roundtuit

OPPS News that HM Gov is intercepting unsuitable PPE masks appears on the Office for Public an Product Safety web site
Roundtuit  
#51 Posted : 07 May 2020 13:22:25(UTC)
Roundtuit

OPPS News that HM Gov is intercepting unsuitable PPE masks appears on the Office for Public an Product Safety web site
Roundtuit  
#52 Posted : 11 May 2020 20:23:26(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52619138

BSI are warning visors made from a single sheet of A4 "OHP" acetate do not offer suitable protection - the materials may be readily available but do not satisfy the coverage requirements of the harmonised standard.

Similarly those cut from PP bottles will not derive sufficient coverage.

Kim Hedges on 12/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 12/05/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#53 Posted : 11 May 2020 20:23:26(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52619138

BSI are warning visors made from a single sheet of A4 "OHP" acetate do not offer suitable protection - the materials may be readily available but do not satisfy the coverage requirements of the harmonised standard.

Similarly those cut from PP bottles will not derive sufficient coverage.

Kim Hedges on 12/05/2020(UTC), Kim Hedges on 12/05/2020(UTC)
Kim Hedges  
#54 Posted : 12 May 2020 00:05:36(UTC)
Kim Hedges

I think the politicians have just got it wrong (again).  Patients with C.19 in a hospital setting tend to wear a surgical mask to limit the droplets and spray generated by coughing, sneezing and TALKING (take note). 

Unless you happen to be brain dead, you won't put yourself in harms way by being in close proximity to anyone else for the foreseeable future.  Remember, for those who get sick and actually become sick enough for hospital, about 50% of those people can die.  If you are well and go to a hospital, you can still get infected and you can die - note, everyone in a hospital these days is wearing a mask, because the loading is so great. 

The Government is wrong, plain and simple, the World Health Organisation is still right as far as I'm concerned.  No paper mask.

Kate  
#55 Posted : 12 May 2020 05:24:50(UTC)
Kate

The politicians have not recommended masks, they have recommended home-made cloth face coverings and have published instructions on how to make one out of a T-shirt.

Roundtuit  
#56 Posted : 12 May 2020 19:42:37(UTC)
Roundtuit

I believe the term is Gaslighting - that uncomfortable feeling when you were sure of something only for the person providing the information to say the exact opposite as though that had been the message all along.

So lets digest recent events - where social distancing is not practicable we are being recommended by the various governments (not Welsh) to wear face coverings. Now when we are in the classroom or at a child minders with a mixture of children and adults (at work) the UK government says they should not wear face coverings "because they are not effective"?

We are going to need a hell of a lot of therapists in the coming months.

Edited by user 12 May 2020 19:47:43(UTC)  | Reason: clarification of who is gaslighting

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 13/05/2020(UTC), nic168 on 15/06/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 13/05/2020(UTC), nic168 on 15/06/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#57 Posted : 12 May 2020 19:42:37(UTC)
Roundtuit

I believe the term is Gaslighting - that uncomfortable feeling when you were sure of something only for the person providing the information to say the exact opposite as though that had been the message all along.

So lets digest recent events - where social distancing is not practicable we are being recommended by the various governments (not Welsh) to wear face coverings. Now when we are in the classroom or at a child minders with a mixture of children and adults (at work) the UK government says they should not wear face coverings "because they are not effective"?

We are going to need a hell of a lot of therapists in the coming months.

Edited by user 12 May 2020 19:47:43(UTC)  | Reason: clarification of who is gaslighting

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 13/05/2020(UTC), nic168 on 15/06/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 13/05/2020(UTC), nic168 on 15/06/2020(UTC)
Kate  
#58 Posted : 13 May 2020 05:37:15(UTC)
Kate

The guidance also tells us both that employers (outside healthcare etc) should not encourage staff to wear masks or face coverings, and that employers should support staff to wear face coverings correctly if they choose to wear them.

Mixed messages or what?

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 13/05/2020(UTC)
achrn  
#59 Posted : 13 May 2020 09:41:56(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post

The politicians have not recommended masks, they have recommended home-made cloth face coverings and have published instructions on how to make one out of a T-shirt.

I should have tried that argument when going into the bank - it's not a mask, it's just a face covering.

What's more amusing (or not) is the situation in France - it's mandatory to wear a face covering on public transport, unless it's a niqab, which remains illegal. That's a real mixed message.

thanks 1 user thanked achrn for this useful post.
Kate on 13/05/2020(UTC)
Messey  
#60 Posted : 13 May 2020 10:00:55(UTC)
Messey

A real life and somewhat sattirical situation, but providing real food for thought:............

So when I (infrequently) silently pass wind into a pair of tight fitting briefs, under thick denim jeans, and my wife admonishes me almost immediately as she has smelled the offending hydrogen/methane gas- how is a cut down peice of old tee shirt, fashioned into a face mask , going to stop a Covid 19 molecule that is 140 millionth of a millimetre in diameter?

Roundtuit  
#61 Posted : 13 May 2020 10:25:37(UTC)
Roundtuit

Shreddies (other brands are available) claim to resolve the odour issue you describe due to its "unique filtering fabric", as to the effectivness of underwear against transmission of Covid-19 this is subject to debate in Australia

Roundtuit  
#62 Posted : 13 May 2020 10:25:37(UTC)
Roundtuit

Shreddies (other brands are available) claim to resolve the odour issue you describe due to its "unique filtering fabric", as to the effectivness of underwear against transmission of Covid-19 this is subject to debate in Australia

aud  
#63 Posted : 13 May 2020 16:30:53(UTC)
aud

Face coverings (and indeed medical masks) started as being intended to protect others from your own lung droplets which may be contaminated (unknowingly). They are of limited use in protecting the wearer from inhaling virus from others, although some evidence exists that suggests there may be a benefit. 

So I have some support of the principle of face coverings as a social courtesy to others in intense public situations. Not yet concerned enough to think about wearing one myself but social norming may change that.

Obviously if forced close to a spitty, dribly, yawny person, such a face covering can also provide some protection from their droplets which in theory do not emit further than a metre, or up to two metres for energetic sneezy, coughy output.

These face coverings, just like masks, will theoretically be 'contaminated' after each wear, and so must be handled minimally - not pulled up, or under the chin, unhooked to dangle etc. which of course everyone does. Then removed with care, avoiding external to face contact, put straight into a washing machine or container for retention until washing. Hand washing or at least sanitiser to follow. Which nobody does.

Of course 'close-up' exposures should be limited. So do you wear a face covering ALL day or just put one on (handily scrunched around neck?) when J 'Dribbly' Bloggs gets close for team lifting a lintel into place, or when you get on a bus? Hmm. Or do you always wear (a clean) one all day out of social consideration?

In use, the benefits seem likely be outweighed by additional hand/face contamination as I doubt a thorough routine would be practical even if understood. So I don't yet bother. But I might if I had to work with a splutterer, or use busy public transport. More evidence is coming out around aerosol transmission hence the German distancing variation advice up to 10m for cyclists. Be afraid!

thanks 1 user thanked aud for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 18/05/2020(UTC)
aud  
#64 Posted : 14 May 2020 16:38:59(UTC)
aud

Further research.

This youtube summary of face (mask) coverings in the Czech Republic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_WxtSavZR4  is persuasive.

Also recent BBC Inside Science podcast https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000hvt6 compares both sides of the debate, and seems to conclude a similar approach to above could help. To save you the time: everyone to wear face covering when out of the house, but it has to be everyone. And non-medical grade.

Interesting side story on disposable medical masks creating a massive plastic waste impact.

Julie R  
#65 Posted : 15 May 2020 13:38:38(UTC)
Julie R

I wondered what people are now doing, particularly in London, where staff may be starting to go back, for their own journeys to and from work on public transport it is their choice to wear a face mask or not, but when we are asking them to travel for business purposes on public transport what are companies recommending. I understand that face masks against coronavirus are not seen as PPE, which then leaves a very grey area in terms of what the employer should provide? Any thoughts or plans?

Edited by user 15 May 2020 13:40:43(UTC)  | Reason: typo

Roundtuit  
#66 Posted : 05 June 2020 15:51:24(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52933840

apparently being offered free face coverings by TFL ahead of the English mandate to wear from 15th June

Roundtuit  
#67 Posted : 05 June 2020 15:51:24(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52933840

apparently being offered free face coverings by TFL ahead of the English mandate to wear from 15th June

Roundtuit  
#68 Posted : 05 June 2020 20:29:15(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---5-june-2020

and the hokey-kokey continues as WHO revises mask guidance.....

your non-medical face covering should be three different layers

if youare 60 years or older you should wear a medical mask

Roundtuit  
#69 Posted : 05 June 2020 20:29:15(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---5-june-2020

and the hokey-kokey continues as WHO revises mask guidance.....

your non-medical face covering should be three different layers

if youare 60 years or older you should wear a medical mask

John Murray  
#70 Posted : 07 June 2020 12:13:36(UTC)
John Murray

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Don't give up, get even.

1) CE marked

The fake Chinese ones are clearly marked...the same markings as the genuine masks! I use [genuine] 3M FFP3 masks.

Some companies planned ahead, 3M being one of those.

Bigmac1  
#71 Posted : 08 June 2020 08:17:35(UTC)
Bigmac1

It is an absolute shambles.

John Murray  
#72 Posted : 09 June 2020 17:47:12(UTC)
John Murray

Updated govt guidance/RPE/VIRUS: https://www.gov.uk/gover...protective-equipment-ppe

CV19 downgraded to "bad flu" status: https://www.gov.uk/guida...-hcid#status-of-covid-19

CptBeaky  
#73 Posted : 10 June 2020 07:32:15(UTC)
CptBeaky

Interesting thing about the downgrade is that the original SARS is still classed as a HCID (High consequence infectious disease) but COVID-19 is not (despite it being the result of COR-SARS-2).

Seems a little off.

stevedm  
#74 Posted : 10 June 2020 08:37:22(UTC)
stevedm

.....it really is about the optics here...there are tight definitions for HCID and the language is pretty clear although I know slightly different to the UK gov link given above...having no cure and high death rate per case...so yes for all intents and purposes it is still HCID, I am still planning to treat it that way...I just think they have cherry picked one part of the definition to apease the masses as I haven't seen anything in research to support a downgrade...treatment and control measures remain the same... 

Kate  
#75 Posted : 10 June 2020 09:00:23(UTC)
Kate

MariahHocking  
#76 Posted : 11 June 2020 15:00:36(UTC)
MariahHocking

Here's something for everyone to get their teeth into...!

The HSE has just issued an alert about KN95 face masks.  As they cannot be used as masks (PPE to protect the wearer), can they instead be used as face coverings (to protect the people around the wearer)?

Also - a further related point - if an employer is providing face coverings to employees (for use on public transport, etc.), should they be manufactured to the WHO's standards (three layers of material; the outer water-resistant, the middle a filter and the inner water-absorbent), bearing in mind the UK Government's advice does not specify anything more than "cloth"?

To put this into context...  We are currently investigating the possibility of using public transport, to reduce the risk of additional driving.  We do not yet have any face coverings for use on public transport; we are exploring options.  Staff have either tight-fitting half-face masks or powered respirators, both with P3 filters (for use as a precaution on sites where particle inhalation may be a risk) but, as these do not filter exhalations, they do not protect the people around the wearer and so I am doubtful that they would be permitted on public transport.

Thanks!

thanks 1 user thanked MariahHocking for this useful post.
Kate on 11/06/2020(UTC)
Kate  
#77 Posted : 11 June 2020 15:32:33(UTC)
Kate

Railway workers in stations are being told to wear either a face mask or a visor, and not a home-made face covering.  I find no definition as yet of what is meant by mask in this instruction.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
MariahHocking on 11/06/2020(UTC)
John Murray  
#78 Posted : 12 June 2020 08:05:41(UTC)
John Murray

""These studies and reviews note that the size of droplet nuclei due to sneezing, coughing and talking is likely to be a function of the generation process and the environmental conditions. The actual size distribution of droplets also depends on parameters, such as the exhaled air velocity, the viscosity of the fluid and the flow path (i.e. through the nose, the mouth or both)"   https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK143281/#

Originally Posted by: boblewis Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: Nathan Fuller Go to Quoted Post
Hello all! I have just joined and thought I would get stuck right in!It is my understanding that the mask idea is following recent studies showing that a sneeze has the potential of travelling up to 8 metres and that the current guidelines of the 2 metres "social distancing" maynot be enough!As already mentioned, there just isn't enough masks to hand out,(even though our Government seems to be purchasingsome from China!) what use are they, are they fitted correctly and are they adequate for the job intended, whatever that may be.It seems to me that it is more of a response to the ridiculous few that can't cover their mouth when they cough or sneeze in an appropriate fashion!
The research giving these 8m distances was not undertaken using droplets but rather a fine aerosol mist - the droplet size was admitted by the researchers as only likely to occur during intubation for forced ventilation, hence the need for very high protection levels during such procedures in ICU. Cough and sneezes do not produce this droplet size.
HoweD  
#79 Posted : 12 June 2020 08:32:53(UTC)
HoweD

Hi,

After alerting my company to the KN95 face mask issue (following the recent HSE alert), I was made aware that we had in fact had a recent delivery of said masks! They were purchased for the sole use of protection of/against C-19, but I wonder if they could be used in place of a face covering for use on public transport or where staff may need to work in close proximity etc? They surely can't be any worse than a home made face coverng as depicted on the .Gov website?

Any thoughts would be most welcome

Many thanks

thanks 1 user thanked HoweD for this useful post.
MariahHocking on 16/06/2020(UTC)
stevedm  
#80 Posted : 12 June 2020 08:44:17(UTC)
stevedm

...two ways of looking at it...give them away as they are useless then great...but what happens when someone who is using one of said masks contracts COVID-19 and dies? Would the families and estate come attempt to sue for compensation as these are not fit for purpose?...bit extream but it is a scenario that could happen as most will not be shy about going on social media to state thier case...

For the good of the community yes it is a good thing but it could come back to bite you...rebadge and resell as face coverings with all proceeds going to charity could be another option...

Below is some ECDC guidance on the use of masks I think I have posted it before but incase it has been missed...

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/COVID-19-use-face-masks-community.pdf

thanks 2 users thanked stevedm for this useful post.
HoweD on 12/06/2020(UTC), MariahHocking on 16/06/2020(UTC)
Bigmac1  
#81 Posted : 12 June 2020 08:44:22(UTC)
Bigmac1

Originally Posted by: HoweD Go to Quoted Post

Hi,

After alerting my company to the KN95 face mask issue (following the recent HSE alert), I was made aware that we had in fact had a recent delivery of said masks! They were purchased for the sole use of protection of/against C-19, but I wonder if they could be used in place of a face covering for use on public transport or where staff may need to work in close proximity etc? They surely can't be any worse than a home made face coverng as depicted on the .Gov website?

Any thoughts would be most welcome

I think you are correct, dont waste them. They are better than a bandana.

But you run the risk of them being used for COSHH, dust purposes, it would need to be tightly controlled.

I would be asking though who is in charge of procurement and give them a little education.

Many thanks

thanks 2 users thanked Bigmac1 for this useful post.
HoweD on 12/06/2020(UTC), MariahHocking on 16/06/2020(UTC)
stevedm  
#82 Posted : 12 June 2020 09:13:36(UTC)
stevedm

changing my position slightly...Liability under the 1992 Regulations is strict, but unfortunately since the introduction of s.69 of the Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Act 2013, breaches are no longer actionable in themselves and neither are they under The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 either. In other words the 2013 legislation removed the ability for anyone to sue directly in the civil courts for any breach of the statutory provisions themselves....so charity giveaway would still be my best advice badged as 

thanks 1 user thanked stevedm for this useful post.
HoweD on 12/06/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#83 Posted : 12 June 2020 09:45:15(UTC)
Roundtuit

As they are counterfeit either destroy them or have trading standards collect them - the alert clearly states that HSE is ensuring such masks are removed from the supply chain not donated for other use.

PPE falls under CE marking market surveillance regulations - give them to anyone and you will be considered to be a supplier to market.

HoweD on 12/06/2020(UTC), HoweD on 12/06/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#84 Posted : 12 June 2020 09:45:15(UTC)
Roundtuit

As they are counterfeit either destroy them or have trading standards collect them - the alert clearly states that HSE is ensuring such masks are removed from the supply chain not donated for other use.

PPE falls under CE marking market surveillance regulations - give them to anyone and you will be considered to be a supplier to market.

HoweD on 12/06/2020(UTC), HoweD on 12/06/2020(UTC)
stevedm  
#85 Posted : 12 June 2020 10:33:13(UTC)
stevedm

...to be pedantic where does it say that..the HSE are ensuring such masks are removed from the supply chain?...make sure you don't take it out of context here this applies as workplace PPE...

The alert says - 

KN95 must not be used as PPE at work as their effectiveness cannot be assured.

Masks that are not CE marked and cannot be shown to be compliant must be removed from supply immediately. If these masks have not been through the necessary safety assessments, their effectiveness in controlling risks to health cannot be assured for anyone buying or using them. They are unlikely to provide the protection expected or required.

craigroberts76  
#86 Posted : 12 June 2020 10:48:26(UTC)
craigroberts76

And yet the N95 masks were being sold by large distributers a few weeks ago for £95+vat for 20.  I'm in the mind that if they are to be used for public transport etc "outside" of working hours, then that has to a) be a better and environmentally better than binning b) these have to be better than a scalf, t'shirt or thong as recommended by government agencies. 

Holliday42333  
#87 Posted : 12 June 2020 10:52:02(UTC)
Holliday42333

Originally Posted by: craigroberts76 Go to Quoted Post

And yet the N95 masks were being sold by large distributers a few weeks ago for £95+vat for 20.  I'm in the mind that if they are to be used for public transport etc "outside" of working hours, then that has to a) be a better and environmentally better than binning b) these have to be better than a scalf, t'shirt or thong as recommended by government agencies. 

For reference, N95 are different to KN95.  N95 is the US standard that was agreed to be an equivalent of FFP2 and approved for use in healthcare if required.

thanks 1 user thanked Holliday42333 for this useful post.
craigroberts76 on 12/06/2020(UTC)
craigroberts76  
#88 Posted : 12 June 2020 11:18:13(UTC)
craigroberts76

Originally Posted by: Holliday42333 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: craigroberts76 Go to Quoted Post

For reference, N95 are different to KN95.  N95 is the US standard that was agreed to be an equivalent of FFP2 and approved for use in healthcare if required.

thanks for the clarification

Roundtuit  
#89 Posted : 12 June 2020 11:21:42(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: stevedm Go to Quoted Post
where does it say that..the HSE are ensuring such masks are removed from the supply chain?

https://press.hse.gov.uk/2020/06/11/hse-safety-alert-issued-against-kn95-facemask/?utm_source=hse.gov.uk&utm_medium=refferal&utm_campaign=kn95-safety-alert&utm_term=press-channels-push&utm_content=news-page%22

HSE is working to remove them from the supply chain with colleagues in the Office for Product Safety and Standards (OPSS), Border Force, the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) and Trading Standards to identify manufacturers and suppliers of these masks and prevent them entering the UK.

Roundtuit  
#90 Posted : 12 June 2020 11:21:42(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: stevedm Go to Quoted Post
where does it say that..the HSE are ensuring such masks are removed from the supply chain?

https://press.hse.gov.uk/2020/06/11/hse-safety-alert-issued-against-kn95-facemask/?utm_source=hse.gov.uk&utm_medium=refferal&utm_campaign=kn95-safety-alert&utm_term=press-channels-push&utm_content=news-page%22

HSE is working to remove them from the supply chain with colleagues in the Office for Product Safety and Standards (OPSS), Border Force, the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) and Trading Standards to identify manufacturers and suppliers of these masks and prevent them entering the UK.

stevedm  
#91 Posted : 12 June 2020 11:46:36(UTC)
stevedm

still not what the alert said...all of this is in the context of workplace PPE...not face covering which was what the original quetion was....