Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ExDeeps  
#1 Posted : 04 June 2021 10:30:32(UTC)
ExDeeps

Hi there, not been here for a while but I have a query. The company I work for has a small commercial property management team that looks after office space etc across UK and in fact Europe for the business. This team is now also being asked to source and manage the commercial side of accomodation for various people such as graduates on training schemes, engineers supporting projects away from home. This is new and my background is very much industrial in nature.

Is there any good, simple guidance out there to ensure that the commercial team (and me, supporting them) get the duty of care bit right? Things we've considered are fire risk, legionella in empty property, grounds maintenance, but tbh I could do with some good basic guidance which I can't seem to find.

Or, if anyone does this sort of thing in a similar set up it would be useful to understand what you look at

Many Thanks,

HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 04 June 2021 14:44:22(UTC)
HSSnail

ExDeeps

im not totaly clear on what you are doing here. Are you managing the property on behalf of the owner?

Are the enginears etc paying to use this accomadation, and what is the accomodation like? self contained flats or a private bed room with shared facilities

if so then you may find this site https://www.pims.co.uk/housing-fitness-standard/ may be useful.

As you say if you own the building you will need to consider the basic maintanance issues

Or are you just renting a room somewhere for them while they visit? I think these  2 very different questions.

ExDeeps  
#3 Posted : 04 June 2021 14:58:55(UTC)
ExDeeps

Brian, we, or rather the commercial team, are being asked to source and rent self contained (Not a room in a HMO) accomodation from the private sector on behalf of our employer to then place the employees in that accomodation. The lease, including rent is managed  by the commercial team on behalf of the employer (The employee is not paying rent). For example, we need to place an engineer into accomodation for up to 18 months while they are seconded into a full time role on a project 150 miles from his home.

This is a new string to the commercial teams bow as up to now they have managed just office space, renting primarily from large commercial landlords etc

The PIMS site is useful, thanks,

Edited by user 04 June 2021 15:06:23(UTC)  | Reason: Extra info

HSSnail  
#4 Posted : 07 June 2021 09:19:28(UTC)
HSSnail

Ok not realy come across that situation before - been nearly 30 years since i had any dealings with "private landlords".

Dont know if you have seen this document?

https://www.gov.uk/renting-out-a-property

Might give you a useful checklist to have. I only found out earlier this year that Landlords now need electrical certificates as well as gas certificates.

Good luck.

thanks 2 users thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
ExDeeps on 08/06/2021(UTC), peter gotch on 08/06/2021(UTC)
ExDeeps  
#5 Posted : 08 June 2021 09:17:50(UTC)
ExDeeps

Brian, that's useful, thankyou. I also found some guidance for tennats that can be adapted 

How to Rent - A Safe Home - A guide for current and prospective tenants in England (publishing.service.gov.uk)  

Cheers

thanks 1 user thanked ExDeeps for this useful post.
peter gotch on 08/06/2021(UTC)